General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Carbon Bikes Harder To Steer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-07 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: Are Carbon Bikes Harder To Steer?
I ride with a beginner/intermediate cycling group, and two different ladies fell today during our weekend ride, one of whom was on a used full carbon road bike she bought from a male MTB who just did not take to road cycling. She never had a fit on the bike, and I told her three weeks ago her the seat is literally crooked to one side. Apparently she has crashed every time she rides this bike.

One of the ladies said to the other lady who fell today that this was "too much bike" for the first lady who fell, and that lady 2 was "not ready" for a carbon bike either. At first I thought she was kidding and asked her "really?", honestly shocked this was a fact. She kind of looked at me like I was being facetious and said that she's sure lady 2 is a good rider, but that she's only been riding for 4 months and the combined speed improvement is such that it would be significantly more difficult to steer.

I ride an aluminum bike with a carbon fork since that's all I could afford, but I have tested full carbon bikes and while I did notice it was lighter and easier to gain speed at start, it was not more difficult to ride at all. (I'm not talking about carbon TT or Triathlon bikes, just carbon road bike vs aluminum road bikes.) Is this true?

Edited by ayabrea 2013-09-07 8:58 PM

2013-09-08 5:58 AM
in reply to: ayabrea

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Are Carbon Bikes Harder To Steer?
no

There's nothing that would make carbon fiber more or less difficult to steer than aluminum, magnesium, titanium or steel... Now the geometry from one bike to another can effect steering if you aren't used to it.

Carbon isn't faster than any other material either. Sometimes it is lighter, and it is easier to shape into "aero" tubes, but for the most part bike material doesn't dictate performance.
2013-09-11 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by ayabrea She kind of looked at me like I was being facetious and said that she's sure lady 2 is a good rider, but that she's only been riding for 4 months and the combined speed improvement is such that it would be significantly more difficult to steer.

Hahahahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, I'm good now...

Nope!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Where do people come up with this cr@p?

2013-10-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Master
Memphis, TN
Some times we crash. That had nothing to do with the bike material.
2013-10-04 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I don't get it... Why would anyone think that? I mean, even if they were new riders, what on earth would make them come to that conclusion? That could be one of the weirder things I've ever heard. Well, weirder cycling related things, anyway.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Carbon Bikes Harder To Steer? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Carbon or Alum CX Bike????

Started by badgerintx
Views: 2963 Posts: 8

2011-12-31 1:13 PM dalessit

I am no longer watching the TDF on TV

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1273 Posts: 8

2011-07-14 4:59 PM Special K

An example of the difference between a TT bike and a Road bike (Time Trial comparison)

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 6401 Posts: 3

2010-08-05 7:52 AM Leegoocrap

TT Bike v. Tri Bike

Started by jsklarz
Views: 2210 Posts: 11

2009-07-11 4:05 PM tjtryon

Am I a bad fan??

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1472 Posts: 8

2008-07-26 6:07 PM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?
date : September 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Blue FS Carbon mountain bike. A lightweight bike perfect for racing XTERRA triathlons.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”