Pumpkinman Triathlon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 21s
Overall Rank = 47/463
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/32
Pre-race routine:

Actually got to the race with plenty of time to spare so was pretty chill. I did screw up on my nutrition though, had half a pop tart the kids didn't eat and my morning coffee. At race site, registered, got marked up, and had my extra space in transition because I messed up and registered twice, so I "had" two transition spots.
Event warmup:

Went for a short bike ride, got the system clear and swam for a little while. I did forget to take a Gu and forgot to put anything in my pockets or bike.
Swim
  • 07m 38s
  • 587 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the second wave, so only had 1 minute after the elites. We had the 30 second call before I even made the water. Definitely frustrated by not being able to get in the water at the gun, but once I got in the water, really got after it for the first 150 yards or so to get some water. Hit the first buoy tight, bumped a good amount, and then got clear on the back stretch. Definitely my best swim to date.
What would you do differently?:

I may be at a stage in my short tri career, where back right isn't the best place for me anymore.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

This included the 1:37 it took me to run/walk up the ridiculous hill out of the water at Pumpkinman. Felt good, no dinking around, just put the helmet on jumped on the bike.
Bike
  • 42m 12s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike today. Once I got out on the road, I had a little back and forth with a couple of other guys, but for the most part was in the clear. Only got passed by folks in other AG's, particularly when a pack of 3 40-44's blew by me at mile 11 or so. The course was hillier than I thought. Normalized power of 198, which is way high for me. I did get frustrated at the second turn with a local traffic truck that gone on the course and wouldn't/didn't indicate what she was trying to do while riding too slowly up to a stop sign. I actually got booed by the crowd when I let out a frustrated "come on". I didn't curse or anything, but was just aggravated the driver wasn't being clear with her intentions.

Keep working those lengths this winter
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

No dicking around, just threw on the shoes and grabbed the visor and belt.
Run
  • 22m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I just pushed it as hard as I could. First mile at 7:32, second at 7:41, then fell to 8:10. I kept looking behind, but held off anyone in the AG. A couple of 40s and one low 30 went by. I was cooked and mentally gave in in the last .25 miles and the hills. Just couldn't do anymore.

I really need run work.
Post race
Warm down:

took me a while to appreciate that I was truly at 2 with the knowledge that I didn't see anyone with a 35-39 on their leg pass me.

Last updated: 2013-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:38 | 587 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 63/463
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:12 | 14.3 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 37/463
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45.5
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:58 | 03 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/32
Overall: 116/463
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-07 9:35 PM

User image

Subject: Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon

Started by BxHBxH
Views: 535 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 12:42 PM BxHBxH

Started by BxHBxH
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 1:04 PM BxHBxH

Started by Nicole Caron
Views: 777 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 6:45 PM Nicole Caron

Started by schindks
Views: 931 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 11:58 AM schindks

Started by CarolanneCaron
Views: 1081 Posts: 1

2011-09-10 4:57 PM CarolanneCaron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.