General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you walk me through T1? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-07 11:23 PM

Subject: Can you walk me through T1?
Ok, first IM (tahoe) in 2 weeks, I'm trying to visualize my flow from the water to the pedaling.

What I can figure out is that I strip down to the waist, lay on a mat and then some strong guys yank my wetsuit off and hand it to me.

At this point, is there a set of bike racks or does someone get the bike for me? (This may sound strange but I can't picture the bike racks for 2000+ competitors).

I'm assuming my wetsuit goes in the bike bag?

Any other hints/suggestions?

thanks
bob

2013-09-08 12:27 AM
in reply to: tri.bob

User image

Subject: RE: Can you walk me through T1?

Let them strip off your suit, they'll give it to you, run to where your bag is, they'll give that to you, enter the tent.  Do your thang in the tent and leave all your swim stuff, volunteer will shove it int a bag for later pickup.  Exit tent and (1) someone will bring your bike to you or more likely (2) you will run to it.    T1 will be HUGE!

Take t1 very slowly and methodically, and don't let the volunteers dump your stuff on the ground.  Mine turned into a gong show at Canada and it wasn't very organized.

2013-09-08 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Chris explained it well...I had a few things to add.

I just did IMMT, the wetsuit stripper were clogged to gills , so I blew off that idea and ran in the wetsuit to T1 (as many did).

Stripped off the wetsuit myself in the tent, changed. It was pretty quick. You might want to practice self stripping just in case.

I am a wee paranoid, so I pack all my stuff back in the bag and make sure its tied. Then hand it to the volunteer. There was misc stuff all over the changing tent, I didn't want some of it to be mine. It was a madhouse in there.

You might also consider the bike shoe thing, it was a long clomp out to the bike in my shoes. I probably should've run in bare feet and put them on at the bike. We weren't allowed to have anything on the bike.

2013-09-08 6:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Has the athlete guide come out yet?

In there usually is map that shows transition quite well. Basically they try and make it fair so where your bike is racked doesn't matter. All folks after swim out go by the T1 bags and into either women or mens change tent. From there you usually go to far end of transition area, then head toward your exact rack.  If you come out in main pack you may need to do more yourself.  I've been fortunate to have great volunteers in change tent at all my IMs and have had my bike brought to me at the end of my rack (aisle).

When you get to your race, check out transition and see how it flows the day before the race. If you are unsure many of the volunteers are super helpful but being a new race they may not all know the ins and outs. Unless you are super fast, it is easy as you just follow other athletes.

2013-09-09 7:05 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback. Compared to my previous (shorter) races this should be pretty exciting. Typically my age group (55-59) has 15 or less people, in IMLT there are 111 people in that age group.

2013-09-09 1:25 PM

Regular
Guelph, ON
The others covered the basics, I'll just add to ask for help if you want it. Volunteers are everywhere, they will bend over backwards for you.

In the change tent, I ask a volunteer if he'll clean up my stuff (there's not that much). They put your wetsuit, goggles, etc in your bike bag. I understand the other poster's concerns about his stuff, but I write my name and cell # in my wetsuit and trust the process.
Running to your bike shout your number. there may be a volunteer assigned to your rack, if they are available they will have your bike ready.

If you are wearing your bike gear under your wetsuit, there really isn't much to do in T1 so don't dwell on this. I leave my glasses, nutrition, etc. on my bike in the morning so all I need from T1 is my helmet and shoes (sunscreen if you wish). No need to dawdle.

2013-09-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: KKoole

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
what the others said.  Check it out when you get there as you would in any race.  Another good idea is to put your things in big zip lock bags in the transition bags.  If it rains the night before the race your things will stay dry in the zip locks. Also you can organize your things as well. I usually have a "must have" bag and a "might need" bag.  Also if a volunteeer dumps your stuff on the ground it would not roll all over the place if its contained in zip locks. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you walk me through T1? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

t1 and t2 bags

Started by grega2s
Views: 1154 Posts: 9

2009-11-06 4:26 PM lisac957

Having trouble visualizing how T1, T2 and special needs bags work

Started by mountainpics
Views: 1129 Posts: 6

2009-10-03 1:09 AM jldicarlo

BLST 70.3 Bike and T1

Started by utah
Views: 972 Posts: 6

2007-05-02 3:40 PM zia_cyclist

IMAZ T1 & T2 question

Started by thegomer
Views: 1073 Posts: 13

2007-03-28 3:46 PM huskyboy

Ironman Wisconsin VIDEO Preview done: Swim, T1, Bike and Run

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 1587 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 12:13 AM Birkierunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?
date : September 2, 2004
For us beginners, a brick is usually a bike/run combo. This simulates the bike to run transition - many think is the toughest part of the race.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.
date : August 29, 2004
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

date : August 29, 2004
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.