United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 39s
Overall Rank = 64/339
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 6/39
Pre-race routine:

I yanked a bunch of my lumbar muscles two weeks ago and almost didn't race. Pretty much had to cease training for two weeks leading up to the race. Was a little concerned about the run, but swim and bike have not bothered it at all. I knew going into this that my run would be disappointing, but my training all summer was very good, so I hoped it would carry me through.

Had packet pick-up on Saturday afternoon, so picked up friend Erin and we got our stuff. Met my parents, who came into town to watch, and husband for italian carbo-load feast at Spiros for dinner. This was the first tri I have ever done where I got to sleep in my own bed the night before. So nice! Had no pre-race jitters until 2:30am. Woke up feeling rested and prepared to go.

Event warmup:

Erin and I were a few racks away from each other, so we got our stuff settled and headed down to the water to get our breathing right. This is a big local event - almost 400 people and only two swim waves. Yikes!! There was also a lot of loose gravel on the swim run-out because we have had a couple of big rain events that washed away a bunch of the dirt on the hillside. OWIE.
Swim
  • 21m 43s
  • 880 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started with 175 other women. WASHING MACHINE! Plus we were headed right into the blazing morning sun with about 18" of fog sitting on the lake. Could not see the first buoy at all until about 50m away. Had a terrible time finding open water. Was always getting swam into, or swimming up and around others. Never felt panic-y, but just could not get a rhythm going at all. Frustrating beyond belief just because I have been doing so much swimming this summer. Swim time also includes the 300+m run up the hill to the bike pen.
What would you do differently?:

Start further up the front of the pack. I need to go out strong and stay up ahead of the mob. I need to do more intervals while I am doing my open water practice - then I can actually put on some speed to get past people and not feel like I am compromising my energy for the rest of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Had a LOOOONNGGG run in my bike shoes from far end of bike pen to mount line.

Nothing
Bike
  • 52m 1s
  • 15.6 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Ridiculous lady made about 10 of us wait 30+ seconds to allow traffic to go before we could cross the road and get on our bikes. GRRR!! Passed lots of people. I was the first person back to my bike rack! There were at least five bikes gone when I got there from the swim, but I was the first back!! Felt great all ride and knew I would be okay for the run (which I knew would be slow with my grouchy back)

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Again LOOOONNGGG run through the bike pen with my bike shoes on.

Not sure I can learn how to take my shoes off while I am still riding. Hmmmm.
Run
  • 30m 59s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Slow run, but I expected that. This is a hilly run, but it is beautiful.

Not blow out my back two weeks before the race :/
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with husband, mom and dad, and Erin's significant other, Derek. Erin came through about half hour later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury. Not enough swim intervals.

Event comments:

Wish that we had our age marked on our calves. I didn't know who I was supposed to be chasing during the run. Woman who finished 10 seconds ahead of me was in my age group - I had no idea. Otherwise, this is an awesome race!

Last updated: 2013-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:43 | 880 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/339
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 sleeveless
Course: Clockwise with four buoys to sight off of.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:01 | 15.6 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back. HILLY course which I love.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 67
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:59 | 03.4 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Counter clockwise loop around Wildcat Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-08 10:51 PM

New user
Bremerton, WA
Subject: Tri Turtle Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Turtle Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by tribrz
Views: 1461 Posts: 1

2007-10-11 6:11 PM tribrz

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2145 Posts: 5

2007-10-13 12:49 PM Lara

Started by Kinesio
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 9:40 AM Kinesio

Started by madkat
Views: 1758 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Started by kirby
Views: 1831 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.