Rotary Club of Dunsmuir
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 23s
Overall Rank = 99/263
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 ate some breakfast and loaded up the truck. Drove the 1 hour 15 minutes to the venue and got there just as volunteers were setting up packet pickup area. Picked a good Transition spot and chatted with friends.
Event warmup:

After putting on the wetsuit and listening to the race director's safety announcements I headed down the boat launch and swam out a was and back before taking a start spot on the right hand side and about 1/2 way back in the group.
Swim
  • 12m 3s
  • 740 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were probably 150 or so men in my wave. I picked a spot as far to the right of the "fast" line as I could. Intending to stay on the edge of the mayhem. This worked just okay. There was a bit of a pinch point formed by docks near the start. Once I was past the dock it was a clear shot to the anchored patio boat. Even trying to stay outside of the main flow of traffic it was still a very crowded race. I was elbowed many times as I was squeezed between other swimmers who were not swimming parallel lines. More than once I came up on someone doing breast stroke or an easy back stroke that I had to move around. I passed a lot of swimmers in the first half of the swim. At the turn I outside and it was at least 5 wide. I swam the longer distance around, but didn't have to endure too many elbows and kicks. On the return stretch I just tried to be smooth and maintain good breathing. I typically breathe bilateral, but the sun was low to my left on the return so I did most of my breathing to the right. It's funny that I didn't notice the sun so much on the way out to the turnaround. As we approached the last 50 yards or so I caught a moving road block of swimmers. 5 or 6 across and all swimming about the same speed. I just pulled up and followed them in rather than forcing my way through.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try starting closer to the front and sprinting the first 200 before settling into a routine
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

There is a long way up to transition from the lake. The race director had emphasized not to "run" up to and in transition. So I was walking for the first 150 to 200 feet. Then since everyone else was jogging past me I started jogging too. I wrapped the goggles and ear plugs in my swim cap (as suggested by one of the Asphalt Junkies) and held it in one hand while pulling the suit off. It worked like a charm and those items were all in the sleeve where I left them when I returned later to clean up my transition area.

jog right from the swim exit and shave of the 15 seconds I lost while walking today.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 9.6 miles
  • 17.45 mile/hr
Comments:

My transition spot was very close to the bike mount/dismount line so getting there was fast. I leapt on the bike at a jog and rolled past several folks trying to clip in before starting. The ride through the campground was good, although there are plenty of pavement issues with bumps. Some of the climbs were tough but the descents were a blast. My left calf started to cramp at about 4.5 miles on the bike. It held off going full
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 41m 30s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! Cramps in both calves as soon as I started going uphill. Jog/stretch calves/jog/walk/stretch calves/jog/walk/stretch until the first mile mark. slow jog from there, gradually increasing speed as my calves settled down. Coming downhill after the turnaround was easier and I could open up the throttle some. Picked up quite a bit over the final mile. Finished very hard.

Train for hills and hydrate properly beforehand. Getting a good night's sleep would have been good too.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to catch my breath then got some water. Light stretching then gathered my things from transition and grabbed some water and sliced orange.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient training for the hills and lack of hydration and sleep the preceding day

Event comments:

It's a fun local race, and raises money for a good cause. I'm glad I did it.

Last updated: 2013-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:03 | 740 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: Straight out from the boat ramp and left around a patio boat. Then back to the boat ramp. There is a rope with milk jugs tied to it for floats that is anchored from the left side of the boat ramp at the start. Once all 3 waves have left the start the rope's anchor is moved to the right side of the boat ramp so competitors start and exit the water on the same ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:00 | 9.6 miles | 17.45 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back through the campground and onto local roads. Hilly but not terribly so.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:30 | 04.5 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: singletrack for first 1/2 mile or so, mostly flat or downhill. Next 1/2 mile is dirt fire road all uphill. Then onto paved road and gradual uphill to the turnaround then back on the same course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: Mount Shasta Tinman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mount Shasta Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mount Shasta Tinman Triathlon

Started by trishoer
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2012-09-02 7:58 PM trishoer

Started by StrayDog
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2010-09-05 11:32 PM StrayDog

Started by MKAH
Views: 1253 Posts: 1

2009-09-19 8:44 AM MKAH

Started by owl_girl
Views: 1167 Posts: 1

2008-09-02 10:33 AM owl_girl

Mt. Shasta Tinman Triathlon

Started by heartopener
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2007-09-04 12:01 AM heartopener
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 0
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.