The Nation's Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 54s
Overall Rank = 141/947 w
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/50
Pre-race routine:

As usual -- got to race start really early to make sure I could get decent parking. This race is a bit tough for folks that need to drive into the city. You either need to get dropped off or get there very early to get a parking spot.

Blueberry bagel and coffee once settled in parking spot. Spent about 30 minutes hanging at the car before heading to transition.

I thought there was the off chance the race would be wetsuit legal. But it was not. So after getting all set up I walked back to the car to put the wetsuit away. Then back to transition for last minute check of stuff. Then headed to an area of little used porta-potties.
Event warmup:

None really. This is a big race with lots of waves. I did some stretching but that was about it.
Swim
  • 31m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trail start with 7 going off every 10 seconds or so. Sat on edge of dock and then in we went.

I resorted to my normal breastroke/free style routine fairly early. Just kept on going. Took in some water about halfway and ended up stopping to cough a bit. Felt very strong but just cannot keep up freestyle in open water up for very long. I feel that it drains me too much and I regain quite a bit of energy 'resting' while doing breastroke.

Best sighting I've done to date at a race.
What would you do differently?:

Think I need to start doing some breastroke training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Good transition. 7 out of 50. Had some difficulty getting socks on wet feet. I may think about bringing a bucket to sit on next time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a strong bike performance for me even though the course was rough and had lots of hairpin turns. I felt strong and smooth. Engaged my core. My age group so off in the middle of all the men so I was surrounded by men the entire race. Only passed a few women on the bike and got passed by only a few women.

Not much really. I might have bike too hard given my run performance but I don't think so. Felt like this was a solid effort that I should be able to duplicate in the future.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Good transition! 3 of 50!

Nothing.
Run
  • 58m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

So...the run...it is usually a strong point. Not so today. I felt fine for the first 5K and then 'wham'...I just started to really struggle. Could not keep up a good pace and had to walk periodically for the last 2 miles. No energy, feet hurt, knee hurt, legs tired. Was a struggle. I could feel blisters (wrong sock selection).

One of my slowest run times at this distance.

Get in the running miles needed for this distance. A look at my logs showed that I only got in 31 miles in August and 3 the two weeks prior to this race. Performance showed this.

Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and headed to the massage tent. Massage focused on calves (ouch!!!) and legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sub-par preparation for the run.

Can tell that I gave a good effort based on how I feel today (next day). Legs are still tired. Feet still hurt. My neck and shoulders are stiff...not necessarily from bike effort I think but from all the major bumps and being tensed up on the bike course.

Event comments:

I am giving this an average due to bike course. If they keep this bike course for this event next year, I will not register. I'll find another race to do in September.

Average swim performance, good bike performance, sub-par run performance.

Last updated: 2012-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/50
Overall: 0/947 w
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Potomac River. Start out against current and then swim back with current. Course is in shape of the Washington Monument. Best marked course of all races I've done.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:44 | 24.85 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Oh my...this course was not very fun or comfortable. It was a two loop course through parts of the city. A total of 8 hairpin turns and 2 very hard lefts were no fun. There was a section that crosses the 14th street bridge...sucked big time. Lots of crude on the road, big bumps where the bridge expands, big holes that were not marked and even two sections of 'no passing zone'. I lost the top to my water bottle (Torhans) within the first miles on a big bump. Drink all over the place. I've never seen so many flats in a race (I think I saw at least 12). Almost all in this section. This was definitely a pay close attention to the road race. On some segments I felt me and my bike might go flying after hitting some big hole I didn't see...so I was quite uncomfortable and tense for some sections of this race.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:36 | 06.21 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/50
Performance: Below average
Course: Pretty flat with just some gradual hills to get to main running route. Long out and back on Hains Point. This is a tough run because it just never seems to end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2013-09-09 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4850583

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

You did great!

Think I need to start doing some breastroke training too!!

You spreed was awesome on the bike - especially considering the rough roads.

Your run seemed pretty fast to me!!

All of your times were great and I think your rankings showed it- Good Job!!!

2013-09-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Your bike was AWESOME!!  Very speedy!!!  All that commuting is paying off in quad power!  And I think your swim is pretty darned fast considering you were doing breast stroke in there too.... and I'll take your sucky run anytime, ha ha!!!  I know how you feel, that's how I feel in a sprint, just haven't gotten the run together yet in spite of training for it!  Glad you had a great time and had good weather!!
2013-09-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4850583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Nice job.

I was really hoping for the wetsuit legal since I was wearing mine regardless of what the water temp turned out to be. I am not a good swimmer and am training for an October IM so I need the wetsuit time anyway.

We are in the same AG and our times are very close. You killed my swim time and I am a runner, but our bikes were right on. I know it would have been a completely different race for me if I had gone off with the group rather than at the end with the wetsuit gang. My bike was treacherous due to a large crowd of recreational type athletes (nothing against them, kudos to them for being out there). I kept thinking about how treacherous it must have been for the 50-54 ladies because there are always slower people in every wave but you would have also had some very speedy riders coming through. For me it was very crowded and those turns were just crazy. I would definitely not do this race, or even recommend it, if they keep that bike course. I seen the after affects of several accidents.

I'm also doing the Half Full.

Enjoy your recovery.
2013-09-10 7:36 AM
in reply to: jkholden

User image

Middle Tennessee
You did awesome! That's a great bike time for what sounds like a fairly technical course with crappy pavement. Why is it that the Olympic distance run goes on FOREVER?? I'd still take your run time any day of the week!! Way to rock it all BEASTIE-like!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by klassman
Views: 1779 Posts: 1

2007-09-30 2:13 PM klassman

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 2221 Posts: 3

2007-09-30 6:08 PM Artemis

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by Stake
Views: 2358 Posts: 12

2006-09-22 9:06 AM mcbill98

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by mcbill98
Views: 2156 Posts: 3

2006-09-19 12:13 PM rollinsw

The Nation's Triathlon

Started by witteb
Views: 1913 Posts: 2

2006-09-18 4:16 PM mcbill98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.