General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking a triathlon break Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-09 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Taking a triathlon break

I am going to take next year off of triathlon.  I am curious to see if I miss it. My main reason, really, is that I am SO SO SO tired of swimming!  I can barely make myself do it and it shows.  It actually felt really good to toss my goggles and pull buoy in the bin where I keep the rest of my tri gear.   I also feel like training takes all of the fun from biking.  I still enjoy running and the more complicated the workout, the better.

I actually threw my two wet suits in the trash.   In a moment of nostalgia I actually brought the wet suit home after my race, but came to my senses and put it in the trash bin at home.  If I decide to get back into it, I will rent or buy new.

I will still be using BT for logging and chatting, and will definitely still be involved in duathlons.  But I just wanted to share about this big life change for me.  There was a time I thought that if I could NOT do triathlons for some reason, I would be totally lost. 

My goal now is run run run, yoga, and ride my bike for FUN.  I hear people do that.

2013-09-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Taking a triathlon break
Will miss you while you step away :-( You have been a great ambassador to the sport of Triathlon! Enjoy the break, and know you'll always be welcomed back to the pool. Good to know that you will still be active on BT. And way to get some more hardware on Saturday! It was nice to see you again.

Just a thought, but maybe you could post here on classifieds or on CL and give your wetsuits away for pickup or shipping cost???
2013-09-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers Will miss you while you step away :-( You have been a great ambassador to the sport of Triathlon! Enjoy the break, and know you'll always be welcomed back to the pool. Good to know that you will still be active on BT. And way to get some more hardware on Saturday! It was nice to see you again. Just a thought, but maybe you could post here on classifieds or on CL and give your wetsuits away for pickup or shipping cost???

Thanks Eric

The wet suits are already trashed.  I would have given them away, but they are quite torn.  I guess they are better than nothing, but well... it's too late!

I might disperse my pool toys, though.  Anyone want a really nice kickboard?  Free for pickup!

2013-09-09 3:48 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Going out on top, eh?

I'll support you in any decision. Like you, one day I am going to walk away from this sport in the manner that I got into it...cold turkey.

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by ejshowers Will miss you while you step away :-( You have been a great ambassador to the sport of Triathlon! Enjoy the break, and know you'll always be welcomed back to the pool. Good to know that you will still be active on BT. And way to get some more hardware on Saturday! It was nice to see you again. Just a thought, but maybe you could post here on classifieds or on CL and give your wetsuits away for pickup or shipping cost???

Thanks Eric

The wet suits are already trashed.  I would have given them away, but they are quite torn.  I guess they are better than nothing, but well... it's too late!

I might disperse my pool toys, though.  Anyone want a really nice kickboard?  Free for pickup!

2013-09-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: leapdog

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Okay, the real truth is I have amassed so many Athena trophies I am out of room on the trophy shelf and Husband said "No more!"
2013-09-11 8:05 PM

User image

New user
So this means I won't see you at Nokomis next year? *Duck and covers*

Totally understand. Hope you'll stay around here on BT. Have a great year off!

2013-09-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Enjoy the break.

My next year will be just the opposite, as I registered for IMWI on Monday.

Edited by jlruhnke 2013-09-12 10:29 AM
2013-09-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by jlruhnke Enjoy the break. My next year will be just the opposite, as I registered for IMWI on Monday.

On site, I take it? I wonder what the computer error was that forced the online sign up to be postponed to next week?

2013-09-13 7:44 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by jlruhnke Enjoy the break. My next year will be just the opposite, as I registered for IMWI on Monday.

On site, I take it? I wonder what the computer error was that forced the online sign up to be postponed to next week?

Yeah. I was a volunteer this year and registered on site Monday. I know there were all kinds of problems with the on-line registration for IM Chattanooga last week, so I assume they wanted to make sure they had those fixed before opening IMWI registration, as it will probably be a mad rush for bandwidth at noon.
2013-09-13 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
Hey BikerGrrrl,

You will Ok with a break, I promise. After 13 years of steady summers of tri events culminating in a couple of Ironmans I'm on year two of a two year break from tri.
Its been fine. Doing more running and snowshoe running, time with friends an family etc...May gear up and do a few next summer.

-Brad
2013-09-13 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
In 2010, after my DFO, I stopped swimming (as soon as I could do land/wb activities) since I knew I wasn't racing that summer.

It was the greatest thing evah.

I do not miss it.

I ride, I run, I ET. I do dus, and they are much better races anyway. Way more painful, but way more fun.

2013-09-15 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Enjoy your break, I have been there. It seems like every couple of years I just want to "check" out of racing.  Stay active as you plan to and perhaps the desire will return.  Good luck.
2013-09-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Take a break, I'll still see you around out there, and that makes me happy....
2013-09-20 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Okay, the real truth is I have amassed so many Athena trophies I am out of room on the trophy shelf and Husband said "No more!"

Ha! Well, have a great year! I hope to see you at a few dus. I think we'll all be curious what you think after the year is over, and then what you think once you start back up. Keep us informed!!

p.s. I'm writing this from the basement of DRH. I don't think we're super far away from each other at this moment. Is that weird? Probably.
2013-09-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by stevestenzel
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl Okay, the real truth is I have amassed so many Athena trophies I am out of room on the trophy shelf and Husband said "No more!"
Ha! Well, have a great year! I hope to see you at a few dus. I think we'll all be curious what you think after the year is over, and then what you think once you start back up. Keep us informed!! p.s. I'm writing this from the basement of DRH. I don't think we're super far away from each other at this moment. Is that weird? Probably.

I am already thinking that I won't miss triathlon training (swimming), but I might start being one of those people who shows up at sprint tris saying "So, this is the first time I've been in the water all year."

Too bad I don't work on Fridays, or I would have run over   Your building is very close, like a block.

2013-09-20 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Riding your bike for fun=cyclocross

That has somehow taken over my life the last few months, really excited for the first race of the season tomorrow. You should try it.

2013-09-23 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Well, as you know, I've scaled way back the last several years too. I used to do 6 tris a summer... This year I did one. And it wasn't even a full sprint. My reasoning is largely the same except that it's not the swimming, it's the biking. (You were expecting me to say running, I bet. Wink) I realized this summer that I just don't really like biking all that much, which is a bit of a problem for tris. After my one race in July, I put the bike back in the garage and haven't touched it since. My race number sticker is still on it, in fact.

Maybe someday I'll get the itch again and decide that I *do* want to ride my bike more, but right now I just don't. So I am that person that shows up at the race having ridden her bike maybe 10 times outside all summer. Of course it shows in my results, but I'm ok with that.

Enjoy riding for run and non-swimming! Glad that we'll still see you around BT. Smile

2013-09-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: kelpeng

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by kelpeng

Well, as you know, I've scaled way back the last several years too. I used to do 6 tris a summer... This year I did one. And it wasn't even a full sprint. My reasoning is largely the same except that it's not the swimming, it's the biking. (You were expecting me to say running, I bet. Wink) I realized this summer that I just don't really like biking all that much, which is a bit of a problem for tris. After my one race in July, I put the bike back in the garage and haven't touched it since. My race number sticker is still on it, in fact.

Maybe someday I'll get the itch again and decide that I *do* want to ride my bike more, but right now I just don't. So I am that person that shows up at the race having ridden her bike maybe 10 times outside all summer. Of course it shows in my results, but I'm ok with that.

Enjoy riding for run and non-swimming! Glad that we'll still see you around BT. Smile

Sounds like we've got a relay team!

2014-05-14 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
Hi gang-

I'm back. The break was 2.5 years. I had a steady diet of triathlons(every distance)/marathons/snowshoe races/run races/bike races/duathlons for 13 years culminating in a IMWI 2011 and smiling the whole way. Awesome experience. Then, bunion surgery (both feet) and a re-alignment with career and family. For the past few years I've done a few snowshoe races and a run race or two, but that's been it. I'll slowly ramp up training this summer and we'll see where things end up.
2014-05-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: F4rword

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Welcome back!  I hope you have a good ramp-up and enjoy getting back to training.

For my own follow-up, I have never been happier with my decision to quit swimming.  DO NOT miss it even in the slightest.  I did a duathlon on Saturday and I am ready to give those up, too.   I am signed up for a bunch of relays this summer, which I am I much more excited about.  I think it's funny, if you look up a few comments, that Kelly (kelpeng) and I are actually 2/3rds of a relay team in July!  If anyone remembers Autumn, she is our biker.  It will be awesome.

Biking for fun =/ equal anything race related to me, including cyclocross.   I really like biking for fun at whatever speed is necessary to get where I am going.  I think that racing on the bike is what made the duathlon so much less fun for me.   That and the 2nd run...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking a triathlon break Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hopkins LA fitness breaking news

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 967 Posts: 5

2011-11-21 2:08 PM ejshowers

Young Life Triathlon a.k.a. Castaway Club Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by MADFOXZZ75
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2010-07-14 5:28 AM MADFOXZZ75

"What It Takes" at the Uptown Theater, 11/9

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1067 Posts: 11

2006-10-26 9:41 PM autumn

Kids Triathlon June 17

Started by tritorrent
Views: 769 Posts: 1

2006-04-13 12:26 PM tritorrent

Anyone taken a similar swim clinic?

Started by bromaui2
Views: 1009 Posts: 6

2006-03-27 8:46 AM bromaui2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.