Tunnel To Towers Foundation
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 19s
Overall Rank = 5/408
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Event warmup:

Rode my bike 26 miles to the race start, did a bit of a jog before the race, then ran.
Run
  • 19m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 52s  min/km
Comments:

This run was for the Tunnel to Towers Foundation. There were no age groups here. More of a charity run. Amazing PRE and POST event things going on to spotlight the firefighters of 9/11, as well as the Wounded Warriors.
I absolutely had no idea how I was going to run this, right up to the second the horn went off. I haven't done any real speed training in months, since I've been focusing on my Ultra stuff. When we started, my instincts just took over. Thank goodness, I KNOW how to run a 5K now. I never NEVER rabbit out anymore. I just settled in to a good pace from the beginning, and let nature take its course. After the first mile, most of the rabbits were done, and I could only see 5 people in front of me, but there were a few more who were WAY up front. I was pretty much content to hold my place to the end, but I noticed the guy in front of me was slowly getting closer and closer. With about 1.3 left, I pulled up beside him, the just passed right on by! Hmmmmmm. Then the next guy in front of me was on my team, and he was about 40 yards up, but still, I kept seeing him slowly get closer and at a mile left, I caught him. I gave him a few words of encouragement, then passed him as well. This just made me want to turn crank up the pace a bit, so I did! I held on all the way to the end, and came in for a 5th place finish. Where did THAT come from??!!?? I'll take it!
The distance by my Garmin was 3.02, which is pretty close for a 5K! Yea!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, cheered everyone, drank lots of water, then rode 27 more miles on my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

gravity.

Event comments:

I know that about every race out there now is raising money for something, but this was something a bit more special.

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:19 | 05 kms | 03m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 5/408
Performance: Good
Course: Moderately hilly course through Spring Grove Cemetery.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Tunnel to Towers 5K Cincinnati
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tunnel to Towers 5K Cincinnati Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cincinnati Cyclones Power Play 5k

Started by rfergus5
Views: 1284 Posts: 2

2011-10-26 12:46 PM bananatoes

Tunnel To Towers Run

Started by chichitao
Views: 1301 Posts: 3

2008-10-02 1:17 PM So Fresh So Clean

Tower of Terror 6.5K

Started by justballast
Views: 586 Posts: 1

2007-10-28 11:02 PM justballast

Tower Trot - 5K

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2007-05-29 8:25 AM StartingToTri

Cincinnati Race for the Cure 5K

Started by DTraub
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2006-12-08 4:36 PM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2008
author : CPT
comments : 0
In this video, Colorado Premier Training optimized Aaron's aerobar width in the wind-tunnel.

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.