World Triathlon Corporation
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 47m 17s
Overall Rank = 446/2400?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 67/377
Pre-race routine:

I did this race in 2011 and it was my first IM. I had a coach that year and my workouts were right there for me to look at and I think i hit them all, officially my training didn't begin until January but honestly I was already training pretty hard much earlier. In my first IM I lived and breathed it from the moment I signed up until race day - about a year. I had a good garmin watch and looked at all my paces, splits, heartrate, etc. Did a lot races leading up to it, too. This year I took a different approach. No garmin, not even a watch. No workout schedule - I didn't want to have to look at an 80 mile bike coming up. I didn't start my training until late February. I made sure I was at most of the kids activites, instead of training or at a race. I wasn't physically as fit, but mentally leading up to race day I was in a better state of mind.
Event warmup:

walking about 2 miles from my friends house to the Terrace.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 59s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wouldn't say I have given up on getting better at swimming, but close. I swam about 2-3 days a week for an hour or so. I used to work pretty hard at it but the improvements just didn't come. I think you either got it or you don't, and I don't.
so I walked along the lake on the way to the race and saw how choppy the water was. The waves seemed to get smaller as I got closer to the Terrace, but still a concern. Looking back, I think the wind died down a little around when we swam because it wasn't too much of a problem for me. I started between the buoy line and ski ramp where there seemed to be open space, I wanted to be close to the buoys because I didn't want to start too wide and have to angle my way in. Also, I like to be somewhat in the crowd to take advantage of the pull it can create and, on this day, the chop that it would break. I think I kept a fairly straight line throughout, staying either slightly inside or outside the buoys, getting bumped a lot but nothing serious. I don't pass too many people so forward progress usually isn't a problem, mostly just side to side contact so I have to watch out for elbows, punches, etc. to the head. The first long stretch out it felt like the current was with us. This was confirmed when I made the turn heading back, it's a longer way back and to be going into the waves made it tough. Finally made that last turn and as I was approaching the finish I glanced up at the clock and thought it read 1:12 which had me thinking I must have finally figured out how to swim, then realized it was 1:22 which is about right for me.
What would you do differently?:

I stuck to my game plan on the swim, that being take it easy because even if I tried my hardest the most I could shave off is maybe 3-4 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 08m 24s
Bike
  • 5h 32m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike training leading up to this was consistent but not as much time in the saddle as I would have liked, it just takes up too much time. I have 2 kids (11 and 13) and a full time job, so it's rare that I can take off on a ride for 4 plus hours. After work I had a route that I did that took me about two and half hours (about 48 miles) and I did that several times throughout the summer. Where I live the terrain is similar to the IMOO bike course so hills I was used to. I did 4 rides around 100 miles, one of them being the horribly hilly ride near Madison. Including some spin classes in the late winter, I figure about 2500 miles leading up to this.
Had a plan to take it easy on the stick out and the first loop. Clearly wasn't sticking to it so right around Stagecoach I decided to slow down and use a guy ahead of me as somewhat of a sanity check dude. Took the 3 hills as easy as I could by spinning up them as much as possible. Got chicked going up Timber, she was out of the saddle and moving - maybe she was fine the second loop, maybe not. Really tried to gain speed on the down hills and flats instead of uphills. It was a little windy but not too bad, I was able to stay in aero most of the ride which helps a lot. Stopped at special needs to pick up 2 bottles of perpeteum then began to increase the effort for the second loop. Began thinking this ride was going good, and then I got to that hill going up into Mt. Horeb and when I shifted onto the small ring my chain fell off and got jammed between the frame and inner sprocket. I hopped off and took a look, this must be what they mean by chain suck, and it looked bad. I was trying pull it out of there for awile and then realized if I pushed on the rear derailleur it gave me some slack and that helped free it up. Probably only lost 3-4 minutes. Got back on and worried if any damage was done to the bike, and luckily no it seemed to be working fine. Got to the second set of hills and they were harder this time, but felt I had something left for the rest of the bike and some of run. Got on the stick back and knew that all that was left of significance was what I believe has been called Kate's hill. Just one of those hills that doesn't look bad but, especially at mile 105 or so, is tough. Once over that it was smooth sailing to the finish.

Not sure if going a little slower (15 min) would have lowered my run time by 30 min or so.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

i'm surprised at how fast this was. Got a great volunteer.
Run
  • 4h 40m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My run training included a spring marathon, and the training for that is when I did most of my 15 plus mile runs. In the summer I spent more time biking and did mostly shorter runs (5-10 miles) in between. In triathlon, there just isn't time to train a lot for all three. One reason I layed off on the running leading up to IM is fear of injury. I may have averaged about 20 miles a week.
The plan was to run the first 3-4 miles really slow and see how I felt. My quads were not cramping but right from the get go they were sore and felt like they might cramp. About mile 2 my stomach got upset, mile 3 I pulled into a porto and was successful and felt better, but then I started to get the cold sweats and began to get chilled. This certainly was not shaping up to be the run I was hoping for so I had to make the best of it and run when I could. I took in a lot of food and drink at the aid stations and walked a lot in the middle part of the run. I didn't have a watch so around mile 24 I asked a volunteer what time it was and she said 6:30. I wanted to break 12 hours so I knew all I had to do was run a little over 2 miles in 30 minutes. Given the amount of walking I did I was surprised my marathon wasn't worse, but I did kept moving forward and recovered somewhat in the later miles to finish fairly strong.

Maybe ease up on the bike, but to what extent, I don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran the last 2 miles and the last mile or so is slightly uphill, so I was depleted but ok. I had a finish line catcher that seemed like he really cared how I was which is pretty cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

upset stomach and sore quads on the run. Given the outstanding weather, I think I could have broke 11:30 but my run wasn't where it was capable of being today.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great this year. Also, there seemed to be more crazy dressed up fans on the bike course than 2 years ago. It was a great event and once again thankful for the volunteers and that I am able to partake in it.

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:59 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 172/377
Overall: 1101/2400?
Performance:
Suit: zoot full
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:32:09 | 112 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/377
Overall: 235/2400?
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:40:47 | 26.2 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/377
Overall: 446/2400?
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 6:15 PM

Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2013-09-10 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4851318

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Congratulations!!!  What an impressive swim and bike you had.  way to stay strong through the run!
2013-09-14 5:16 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats Ironman you had a great race breaking 12 hours in awesome especially doing it with less training volume. Congrats again.
2013-09-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Agree with little Suzy!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin (Steve-) Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve-
Views: 8752 Posts: 35

2005-10-02 7:47 AM jsargevt

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by aluminum1
Views: 4936 Posts: 23

2005-09-20 12:40 PM cpjohnson

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by weds19
Views: 2397 Posts: 21

2005-09-15 10:54 AM Writebrained

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by hdhtri
Views: 6889 Posts: 28

2005-09-21 11:16 AM mullinsm

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by moondance
Views: 3894 Posts: 31

2005-09-19 12:18 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.