United States
Set-up Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 1s
Overall Rank = 132/144
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Richmond the day before the race and picked up our packets. We went to bed around 11:00 or so and I slept pretty well. Woke up easily at 4:45 and had a bowl of oatmeal, banana and little gatorade. Drove to race site 2 miles away and my husband(jimbo) and I were happy to see most of the racks still empty..including the ones we were assigned to! I worried that we would get there late and be squeezed into the middle of the rack.......

As I was walking to the racks with my bike and tri bucket. . . a nice lady helped me carry my stuff and help me find my rack. That friendliness continued through out the entire experience. Everyone was really friendly, encouraging and helpful....really helped to easy my first time fears.

I set up my transition area and felt very comfortable. I did forget flip flops to wear after the transition area was closed....but all in all things went very smoothly.
Event warmup:

I chose not to warm up in the pool. Warm up was between 6-6:45 and I wasn't going to be getting in the pool till 8:00....so there wouldn't have been much point. Instead, I walked around the site with my husband and took everything in......we watched the initial swim waves take off and then I watched my husband exiting the swim before getting in line myself. It was actually nice to be able to see how things would work before I had to start......
Swim
  • 08m 28s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall a good first swim. I had a nice gap ahead of me and behind me initially because two racers did not show up.......the gap closed and I passed one swimmer ahead of me. Midway through the swim a faster swimmer came chopping through the lane to pass several swimmers, water got quite choppy but I just kept swimming. I didn't let it bother me.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself at the beginning. I went out a little fast. Also, keep up momentum even though trying to avoid slower swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Transition went pretty much as planned. I ran from the pool, took off goggles and cap, and swiftly put on socks, shoes, helmet, gloves and camelback. I also remembered to unlock the camelback tube.......the one thing I didn't do which would have helped was attempt to dry off my feet. I put my feet in my socks and noticed immediately that my feet were sloshing around in my bike shoes....oh, well...now I know.

Put baby powder in socks and shoes and dry off feet!
Bike
  • 44m 43s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a really good ride for me.....my previous two rides on this course I only average 14 mph....so I did pick up the pace and was able to maintain it very easily.......

Most of the course I was by myself....but I did pass three riders....I felt really good about my efforts. I was a little too tenantive at the corners but that was understable due to a recent bike fall I had earlier in the week and the rain the day before. I just didn't want to fall over and I didn't.

Slow down coming out of transition. I had a little trouble clipping in and almost just continued to proceed out of the gate. Instead, I stopped for a second...got my bearings and away I went......that was a good decision.

Need to remember in each section of the race to get my pace started and find my rhythm.......
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Quick transition.....got helmet, shoes, and everything off and started moving with visor and race belt in hand. Had 2 quick Cliff Shot blocks and away I went.....

Not take water as I exited the transition......slowed down my run start since I cannot drink and run at the same time!
Run
  • 43m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is the most difficult discipline for me.....I really need to put in some training time and learn to push myself a little harder. While I have to combine a run/walk interval....I need to increase the time running and balance out the water stops......

I was glad that I kept going and was able to finish the race. My run time was comparable to my average 5k times.....which is good.

Work more on running.......not take water right out of transition...it was too soon....should have planned to run to first water station on course, take water and walk short distance and then pick up running more.......
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with husband......had a soda, cookie and slice of pizza. Felt really good, not dehydrated, not too hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, difficulty with running......

Event comments:

This was a great race for beginnners...everyone was really encouraging and supportive. The race volunteers and staff kept things moving and organized. I really felt good about racing alongside some really talented and experienced athletes.....who supported me along the way. It was nice to be able to race my race and not feel intimidated.....I will definitely do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:28 | 300 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/27
Overall: 122/144
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top/tri shorts
Course: Six laps in six lane pool, after each lap racers snaked under the lane line to get into the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:43 | 12.43 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 112/144
Wind: None
Course: Nice flat course on country roads....
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:39 | 03.11 miles | 14m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/27
Overall: 141/144
Performance: Average
Course: There and back loop.....pretty flat course. In a neighborhood by a lake...nice neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-25 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Three Sports Triathlon

2006-07-25 12:03 PM
in reply to: #492209

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Three Sports Triathlon
way to go! great race, and now you're a triathlete!!!

going in the course of six months from not riding a bike in ten years to riding a road bike with clipless pedals averaging over 16mph, and from not running to being able to do a 5K after biking 12+ miles and swimming 300m, and still being able to smile after it's all over is quite impressive

and thanks for turning me into a triathlete also! much more fun than watching bad television all week long.

keep up the hard work and you'll do great at Irongirl Columbia!
2006-07-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #492209

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Three Sports Triathlon
Thanks for all the support!  I could have never done it without you........
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Three Sports Triathlon Rss Feed