General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How dumb of an idea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-13 8:59 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

New user
Subject: RE: How dumb of an idea?
Thank you, I went to Koishma, waiting on a Tri group hat is traveling right now, the veleztripr for some reason cant open it.
My other option would be to go straight to the Natatorio de Puerto Rico.

Thank you!!!

2013-09-13 10:46 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Originally posted by Goosedog

Kidding. Just don't put it off. Be diligent with your plan. I think you can do it if you put in the work and avoid injury. Have fun.

6 months is plenty of time to get ready to finish 70.3 miles as long as you put in a good 6 months of work.
2013-09-13 11:08 AM
in reply to: torombolo

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by torombolo

Sorry, forgot some details:
Im 38 yo, 5'10" and weight 180 pounds
Not obesed but have a sedentary lifestyle,
I can swim, I know how to swim, but dont know where I stand into a distance swim.
Bike- I just got my bike, and Im working on that part, not concearned about the 56 miles but not planing on a record, or speed
Run, -GOD HELP ME

My athletic background (none)
Winter months anot really an issue here in Puerto Rico

Again, thanks for your help!!!

Swim - You don't sound far off from where I started. I knew how to swim (granted I made a lot of beginner mistakes), but I would get completely after breath after 75 yds of freestyle and have to switch strokes. Swimming about twice a week, after about 3 months, I could swim 1,000 yards, another 2 months and I could complete 1,500m, then another month or two I could finish 1,500m and not be exhaused. So I think you have enough time, but you will be busy.

Run - Build up slowly to avoid injury.

2013-09-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

I think you can do it if you are willing to do the hard work and lots of it.

My story is as follows.

Turn 50 this year and never had the chance to do Tri due to work obligations but now I have the time to devote to training and when I say time I mean TIME!

Signed up for a HIM (before I turn Half 50) in Dec (race is in Sept; actually SEPT 22- 1 week to go) and started clueless swimming in the pool. I can remember when one lap 50 meters was SO hard.

I will say “swimming in the pool” help me but to learn how to TRI swim you need help. I never knew “swimming could be so hard (technical).

I joined a Tri club because there you will be around TRIATHLETES and you will learn LOTS!

My club holds weekly OWS (Race start practice) for new members and this one drill taught me how to control the feelings that you will experience during a start.

I used a BT plan and set up my training plan. If you pick one and just do it you will get better but you need to experience race conditions.

I would suggest you do a few short sprint races as the swim start physical reaction you will have is something you must experience and a short race gives you confidence on your ability to complete the distance.

Transitions are another thing you will need to practice under race conditions. It is EASY to run through the transition glasses, helmet, socks, shoes, bike but it is a very different evolution race day. You are HAPPY (I finished the swim!!!) TIRED (I finished the swim!!!) and now trying to put on socks/ shoes on wet feet.

I ran a sprint in July, August, (same course) Aug  was faster!!! Did a Aquathon 1500M swim 10K run and finished my “training” with an Olympic or 1500M swim, 24M bike and 10K run all to experience the race day environment and gain/build confidence in my abilities.

You can do it!

I can do it! I will do it!

Six months ago wasn’t so sure but now I’m confident and ready to jump in the water!

Good luck, train hard and you can achieve your goal.

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-09-15 9:44 AM
2013-09-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

Veteran
not a dumb idea i am thinking of a 70.3 in 4 months time ! with little training done so far but can swim 2000 mtr in the pool - go for it
2013-10-02 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by 1_Mad_Madone

I think you can do it if you are willing to do the hard work and lots of it.

My story is as follows.

Turn 50 this year and never had the chance to do Tri due to work obligations but now I have the time to devote to training and when I say time I mean TIME!

Signed up for a HIM (before I turn Half 50) in Dec (race is in Sept; actually SEPT 22- 1 week to go) and started clueless swimming in the pool. I can remember when one lap 50 meters was SO hard.

I will say “swimming in the pool” help me but to learn how to TRI swim you need help. I never knew “swimming could be so hard (technical).

I joined a Tri club because there you will be around TRIATHLETES and you will learn LOTS!

My club holds weekly OWS (Race start practice) for new members and this one drill taught me how to control the feelings that you will experience during a start.

I used a BT plan and set up my training plan. If you pick one and just do it you will get better but you need to experience race conditions.

I would suggest you do a few short sprint races as the swim start physical reaction you will have is something you must experience and a short race gives you confidence on your ability to complete the distance.

Transitions are another thing you will need to practice under race conditions. It is EASY to run through the transition glasses, helmet, socks, shoes, bike but it is a very different evolution race day. You are HAPPY (I finished the swim!!!) TIRED (I finished the swim!!!) and now trying to put on socks/ shoes on wet feet.

I ran a sprint in July, August, (same course) Aug  was faster!!! Did a Aquathon 1500M swim 10K run and finished my “training” with an Olympic or 1500M swim, 24M bike and 10K run all to experience the race day environment and gain/build confidence in my abilities.

You can do it!

I can do it! I will do it!

Six months ago wasn’t so sure but now I’m confident and ready to jump in the water!

Good luck, train hard and you can achieve your goal.

I can tell you that it is NOT dumb in fact it is possible; because I just did it!

While not exactly the time I wanted it was within 30 min and most of that I attribute to the unusual conditions of the run segment.

I would think if you live there the conditions will not be an issue (heat/ humidity).

Race report is here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=502255&posts=1&page=1

The attachment is the "storm" that blew in during my run.

I was happy for the rain and lower temps but not the wind or flood. I was VERY happy I was not still on my bike that would have been terrible! 

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-10-02 10:33 AM

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1546.MOV (1369KB - 12 downloads)

2013-10-02 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just to help define your task, you need to take a look at the cutoff times required; here are the cutoffs from a couple of years ago:

http://www.ironmansanjuan.com/pdf/ironman-cut-off-times.pdf

You not only need to be under the overall finishing time, but also meet the intermediate cutoff times. 

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-10-02 10:41 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How dumb of an idea? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Is this a dumb idea for bike shoes?

Started by ApplePie
Views: 3103 Posts: 16

2013-05-18 6:57 PM Clempson

Pedals/Cleats - is this a dumb idea

Started by Stuartap
Views: 1660 Posts: 17

2012-10-20 5:13 PM Av8rTx

Lets play good idea/bad idea!

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1137 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 9:06 AM wavedog

good idea, bad idea - re: bike

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1072 Posts: 8

2011-03-08 1:44 PM Indiana_Geoff

1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)

Started by triguy2004
Views: 1360 Posts: 11

2008-09-26 5:04 PM evondo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.