Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean I don't want to be buzz killington, but what was her run split? If it was fast, the triathlon didn't own her. You haven't been owned by a triathlon unless you do at least 4km of run-walk because you're about to die.

Is that the threshold now? 

2013-09-11 3:35 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Originally posted by Kido

It sort of sounds like she just showed up that day - probably for charity or something.  Never tried on a wetsuit before the race?  Never had a GU?  Didn't know how to take care of a bike?

There is a difference between a couple hundred meters in the pool, or 30 minutes of running or biking and racing in those disciplines.

Same thing happens in volleyball.  Lots of people say "I'm good at volleyball" because in gym class they were the only ones that could spike or they reign at the family reunion.  Then they get out with the big boys and realize it's a whole different world.

Yeah, talk about violating the "nothing new on race day" rule.  The whole thing was new in every way.  I'd be willing to wager she did nothing race specific before the race.

2013-09-11 3:36 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean I don't want to be buzz killington, but what was her run split? If it was fast, the triathlon didn't own her. You haven't been owned by a triathlon unless you do at least 4km of run-walk because you're about to die.

Is that the threshold now? 

Only if you aren't talking while run-walking.

2013-09-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by Left Brain "real athletes" do NOT "total condition". 

Your next LB!!  I'm coming for you!!

My knee is recovering from surgery...... otherwise I think I can whip you. Laughing

Aren't you like, 70?? Laughing  Just let me know when that knee's all healed.  I'll be waiting.........as I curl 50 pounders in each hand Wink

The doctor said it may never be the same......consider yourself lucky. Tongue out

I've got $20 on Noelle.
2013-09-11 3:42 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

My knee is recovering from surgery...... otherwise I think I can whipSealed you. Laughing

Aren't you like, 70?? Laughing  Just let me know when that knee's all healed.  I'll be waiting.........as I curl 50 pounders in each hand Wink

The doctor said it may never be the same......consider yourself lucky. Tongue out

I've got $20 on Noelle.

I'm just gonna take your $20 no matter what happens tough girl.  Sealed

2013-09-11 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by switch

My knee is recovering from surgery...... otherwise I think I can whipSealed you. Laughing

I've got $20 on Noelle.

I'm just gonna take your $20 no matter what happens tough girl.  Sealed

Cool, you can give to Noelle and then I'll watch you whip her.  Done.

2013-09-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by crowny2
Originally posted by Kido

It sort of sounds like she just showed up that day - probably for charity or something.  Never tried on a wetsuit before the race?  Never had a GU?  Didn't know how to take care of a bike?

There is a difference between a couple hundred meters in the pool, or 30 minutes of running or biking and racing in those disciplines.

Same thing happens in volleyball.  Lots of people say "I'm good at volleyball" because in gym class they were the only ones that could spike or they reign at the family reunion.  Then they get out with the big boys and realize it's a whole different world.

Yeah, talk about violating the "nothing new on race day" rule.  The whole thing was new in every way.  I'd be willing to wager she did nothing race specific before the race.

I wouldn't take that wager.  I'm sure she said "I know how to swim and bike and run, how hard can it be?".  Bought or borrowed (or got sponsored) a wetsuit and bike and just went out to do it.

Nothing wrong with that, of course.  I bet there was some kind of charity involved - so good for that.

2013-09-11 4:00 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Her paces per the website.

Swim - 2:23/100 (750m swim)

Bike - 16.4 mph (18mile bike)

Run - 11:47/mile (4 mile run)

Total time was 2:21:29. 

It owned her. Completely.

Yeah, triathlon's not her gig. She should stick to being obnoxious.

I will say the lady is fit.  No doubt about it.  And she could probably kick my backside when it came to the training she does.  And I will also say I know MANY people who's first triathlons look like her pace including many on this website.  She did it.  DFL>DNF>DNS.  She did it and finished.  Hopefully with a healthy amount of respect for it now too.
2013-09-11 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

I will say the lady is fit.  No doubt about it.  And she could probably kick my backside when it came to the training she does.  And I will also say I know MANY people who's first triathlons look like her pace including many on this website.  She did it.  DFL>DNF>DNS.  She did it and finished.  Hopefully with a healthy amount of respect for it now too.

Her swim time was about the same as mine would be. This makes me sad.
2013-09-11 6:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TMZ managed to misspell and mispronounce "triathlon". Good thing they aren't actually a real news organization or capable of feeling shame or anything, because if they were, that would have been embarrassing.
2013-09-11 6:49 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
So what.. I'd like to see some of those TMZ db's get out there and do something.. I thought Jillian had a pretty good attitude about the whole thing... at least they didn't wisk her to the finish line in the back of a panel van.

2013-09-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Ok.....what is TMZ?  I'm trying to keep up, but apparently I'm missing basic knowledge of life here?  Is this all TV show stuff?
2013-09-11 7:32 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Left Brain Ok.....what is TMZ?  I'm trying to keep up, but apparently I'm missing basic knowledge of life here?  Is this all TV show stuff?

I'll make this easy for you:  Don't worry about it.

Instead, sit on your porch swing with a few cold ones and shout "GET OFF OF MY LAWN" to all the kids in the 'hood.

(TMZ is a media outlet that specializes in getting raw footage of celebrities in public and mercilessly mocking them)

2013-09-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by Left Brain Ok.....what is TMZ?  I'm trying to keep up, but apparently I'm missing basic knowledge of life here?  Is this all TV show stuff?

I'll make this easy for you:  Don't worry about it.

Instead, sit on your porch swing with a few cold ones and shout "GET OFF OF MY LAWN" to all the kids in the 'hood.

(TMZ is a media outlet that specializes in getting raw footage of celebrities in public and mercilessly mocking them)

Damn.....honestly.....I'm really good with knowing more about the first one. Laughing

2013-09-11 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Well if the rest of the participants were Crossfit members she'd probably have finished pretty far up...

2013-09-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Well if the rest of the participants were Crossfit members she'd probably have finished pretty far up...

misuse of red text

2013-09-11 8:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Teejaay

As a CFDB I am intolerant of this stuff ... .

I knew you were around here somewhere!
2013-09-11 10:10 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
What about her T1 & T2 times? Because those are where THIS athlete really shines!
2013-09-12 7:55 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Ouch!

This is a perfect example of the importance of specificity of training.  General gym fitness does little to prepare someone for athletic performance.  Now, take her apparent general fitness level, and give her a few months of s/b/r training, and she could probably do quite well.

It's like the Crossfit zealots who think they can jump into any event and kick azz...Uh, I don't think so, Sparky.

2013-09-12 8:07 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Ouch!

This is a perfect example of the importance of specificity of training.  General gym fitness does little to prepare someone for athletic performance.  Now, take her apparent general fitness level, and give her a few months of s/b/r training, and she could probably do quite well.

It's like the Crossfit zealots who think they can jump into any event and kick azz...Uh, I don't think so, Sparky.

I agree. There is gym fitness and sports fitness. You have to do specific training for the sport and know how to deal with those mistakes that can happen like swimming with a wetsuit or bike mechanicals.

I didn't mean to imply that she isn't a athlete because she is obviously VERY fit but there is a difference between gym fitness and sport specific athletic fitness.

2013-09-12 8:20 AM

Champion

Let me help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TMZ

2013-09-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

Champion
Originally posted by Jtiger
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Ouch!

I agree. There is gym fitness and sports fitness. You have to do specific training for the sport and know how to deal with those mistakes that can happen like swimming with a wetsuit or bike mechanicals. I didn't mean to imply that she isn't a athlete because she is obviously VERY fit but there is a difference between gym fitness and sport specific athletic fitness.

Agreed.  I'd be willing to wager that if she did do just a few months of specific training she would do VERY well.

2013-09-12 11:33 AM

Champion
PA

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Jtiger I think she's more of a "body pump" training class type of athlete rather than a real athlete
This has potential.
Yeah... as opposed to us "real athletes."

If a triathlete entered a powerlifting competition, I'm sure a few of the other lifters would say the exact same thing.  People are funny.

2013-09-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

Champion
PA
Originally posted by mr2tony

Her swim time was about the same as mine would be. This makes me sad.

Yeah.. I climbed the wall at Savageman and finished while weighing around 220lbs.  Still, she crushed my bike avg mph.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

High school science project locks down school.

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 1264 Posts: 2

2013-05-21 11:28 AM SevenZulu

Is Bret Michaels no longer a d bag? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3264 Posts: 49

2010-05-27 10:02 PM DerekL

Bret Michaels in critical condition

Started by trinnas
Views: 1504 Posts: 8

2010-04-25 3:46 PM jdwright56

jillian... Pages: 1 2

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 2706 Posts: 33

2008-10-09 7:41 PM Denise2003

Junior Triathlon Events - at school?????

Started by gflack
Views: 521 Posts: 3

2007-03-09 9:20 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.