General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathletes and Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Subject: RE: New Triathletes and Open Water Swimming
Originally posted by MOlsen

It felt to me like a lot of the tips were a bit elitist.  

I am an adult onset swimmer. I completely agree with the 2000yd workout suggestion before OWS unless you're going to be in water you can stand up in. Of course plenty of newcomers will be just fine, but if it's not like a 2000yd workout is some Herculean effort. It just takes some work. I say this having started out unable to string together a pair of 50s.

There is nothing elitist about a suggestion intended to keep "newcomers" as safe as possible in an OWS.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-09-11 3:54 PM

2013-09-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

I put together these tips/standards for open water swimming when I started to see a lot of new people that were interested in doing their first triathlon or open water swim with no swimming backgrounds. The swim leg of a triathlon is the most dangerous part of the race.

In addition to coaching a masters team made up of triathletes, I am also a race director for an open water swim series in the Houston area and I work with the largest triathlon event company to help put on the swim leg of their races. I see way too many triathletes attempt to swim open water that are seriously under trained and inexperienced for the swim leg. This fact makes it unsafe for everyone else swimming. The safety assets (kayakers, boats, jet skis, lifeguards, etc) in an open water swim are not there to follow around 1 swimmer that hasn't trained properly. From the race director view point and from the view point of a coach that is interested in the well being of my athletes, these tips aren't elitist they are all about safety.
2013-09-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I absolutely respect the notion of safety.

To me there is a big leap from "no swimming background" and being able to crank out 2000 yards and 10k a week, that is where my "elitist" opinion is coming from.

2013-09-11 4:33 PM

User image

NC

To me there is a big leap from "no swimming background" and being able to crank out 2000 yards and 10k a week, that is where my "elitist" opinion is coming from.

What do you think, 4-6 months with dedicated effort? Less, more?

Regardless, the suggestion is not "elitist." You might think it's overly-cautious, but elitist gets thrown around here too often.

2013-09-11 4:36 PM

User image

Respectfully, we disagree. Even the beginning fitness swimmers that I coach with no swim backgrounds may start out at 1,000 yards for the first week or two of practices, but within a month are going 2000+ yards in a practice and the ones that have more natural ability are going 3,000-4,000 yards in a practice within a couple of months. Basically, any swimmer that has been on the team for a couple months is regularly swimming, at minimum, 10-12k a week. Swimming with a group/coach makes a huge difference in swimming development.
2013-09-11 4:42 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

4-6 months is a good rule of thumb. Honestly, it can vary widely from person to person. I had one athlete come to me with no swimming background that literally looked like a drowning victim when he was swimming and with 6 months of really hard work he went 1:13 at his first Ironman. Then I've had people that struggle with swimming. Most of the time the struggle is finding the time to get to the practices. But that is the struggle we all deal with lives, families and jobs. However, on average, 4-6 months of hard work in the pool is a reasonable expectation.

2013-09-11 4:47 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Goosedog

You might think it's overly-cautious, but elitist gets thrown around here too often.

Fair point, overly-cautious is a better way of saying it.

2013-09-11 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Originally posted by The Chupacabra

I liked the one about 2000 yds or 10000 yds a week being long/impossible. I'm breaking through that hurdle now.

If I had followed that tip (and a bunch of the other ones as well) I never would have started weekly open water swims.  It felt to me like a lot of the tips were a bit elitist.  The sprint triathlons I've done have ranged from 400-800 yard OWS, expecting a newcomer to be able to handle a 2000 yard swim before attempting an OWS seems extreme.

While I agree that most of my gains come from pool swimming, I see the results of the pool swimming while open water swimming.

Agreed. We shouldn't expect newbies to swim 10000 a week. My personal reasons for seeking that and above are to improve a weakness.

I will say though that as a newbie swimmer, I tried for 2000 a workout in the pool every workout, 3x a week. It took me forever because I was so slow (over an hour). I feel that if I hadn't put that work in early, I would not be where I am today.

Just sayin....I'm no expert. I just know what worked/is working for me....
2013-09-11 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by snappingt

I'm putting together a video on how "sighting" has very little to do with navigation in open water swimming. I should have it done in the next couple of days and posted with some drills you can do in the pool that will help.

Interesting...looking forward to seeing it.
2013-09-11 8:23 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog

You might think it's overly-cautious, but elitist gets thrown around here too often.

Fair point, overly-cautious is a better way of saying it.

Don't concede to Goosedog..... he's elitist through and through.  Believe it.

2013-09-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Central New York
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by snappingt Swimming in the ocean is a very specific skill set, especially if you are talking about learning to swim through waves at the start of the race. Once you get past the beach break it's fairly easy. And again, if you've develop a lot of strength, conditioning and efficiency from the pool it becomes a lot easier to deal with ocean swimming conditions. I'm not hiding the fact that I am a swim coach. Part of the reason that I am posting the article here is that I hope it would be helpful and to let as many people know that after 20+ years of coaching both pool swimming and open water swimming that I have something of value to offer.

any tips for learning to swim through continual jellyfish attacks during a race?

Like climbing hills on the bike, the most effective way to get better at getting stung by jellyfish is to get stung by jellyfish. I recommend the lower Hudson in July.

Edited by Xan 2013-09-11 8:31 PM

2013-09-12 12:58 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by The Chupacabra

I liked the one about 2000 yds or 10000 yds a week being long/impossible. I'm breaking through that hurdle now.

If I had followed that tip (and a bunch of the other ones as well) I never would have started weekly open water swims.  It felt to me like a lot of the tips were a bit elitist.  The sprint triathlons I've done have ranged from 400-800 yard OWS, expecting a newcomer to be able to handle a 2000 yard swim before attempting an OWS seems extreme.

I cannot disagree more.    He's not advocating that you avoid OWS entirely before you can swim 2000yds, rather that you should be focusing MORE on pool training than OWS training.

If you're attempting an 800yd OWS, I would suggest that being able to complete 2000yds is a good starting point for an acceptable margin of safety in open water.  There are so many things that can go wrong in the open water.   Currents, wind, cramps, sickness, obstacles, poor sighting... any of these can increase the actual (or perceived) distance of your OWS, or your time spent on the course.  If you're "at your limit" after 800 yards... there's NO WAY I would suggest attempting an 800yd OWS.  There's just not enough margin for safety.

2013-09-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Don't concede to Goosedog..... he's elitist through and through.  Believe it.

Slow and elitist. It's really confusing.

2013-09-12 2:26 PM

User image

Good tips from the OP.

I probably would have scoffed at some of his tips when I was first learning to swim, thinking that 1k continuous, 2k wourkout minimum, and 10k week (he didn't say you actually have to do 10k...just that it doesn't seem impossible).  But looking back, I wish I would have taken his tips to heart when first learning.

It's really amazing how much simply swimming more will do for you.  Triathletes have a really low bar for what constitutes as "adequate" swim training.

2013-09-13 1:13 AM
in reply to: Jason N

I just completed my first sprint/open water swim and I think I broke almost everyone of these guidelines. I swim 1-2 times a week on a good week rocking under 4K yards. After the mayhem at the start I had no prob. Well and fogged goggles I really think it depends on how the person is. I have always been cool under fire so after failing to breathe 3 time straight I just tried again and succeeded on the 4th trie.

Being able the swim the distance you need to swim and knowing you can are huge factors. Panic seems to be the biggest reason for people to fail in an open water swim.
2013-09-13 5:09 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Cool story bro but the OP is right in my opinion.

2013-09-13 5:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Respectfully elite is 10k+ per day not per week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathletes and Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Open Water Swimming in Rockland County New York

Started by HammerheadNY
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2013-03-31 9:14 AM HammerheadNY

Ocean City New Jersey Open Water Swim?

Started by Sevenride
Views: 547 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 9:35 AM Sevenride

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller

Sighting for open water swimming...learned something new!

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 810 Posts: 6

2005-09-13 3:58 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.