General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best triathlon watch that doubles as an everyday watch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-11 6:50 PM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Subject: Best triathlon watch that doubles as an everyday watch
Hey everyone I was wanting your opinions on what watch I should get. I'm looking for a watch that I can wear everyday but have it also double as my triathlon watch. It would be great if it had several useful features but I realize that it having GPS is probably out of the question seeing as the battery life would be an issue.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

2013-09-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: fubar44

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Best triathlon watch that doubles as an everyday watch
I've been using the same Timex Ironman 30-lap watch for like the last 10 years. Not too fashionable, but never have to change watches
2013-09-11 7:01 PM

User image

Timex Ironman watch usually works well.

If you want GPS, then just swap watches when you train.  Not that hard considering we usually need to change almost all our clothing everytime we want to S/B/R. 

2013-09-11 7:09 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Delco, PA

Another vote for the Timex Ironman here.

I have the orange 50-lap one.  Does time, stopwatch (chrono), timer, two interval timers, and three alarms.

Stopwatch can store workouts up to 50 laps, and shows you your average time and best lap.  The alarms can be set to daily, weekdays, weekends, along with individual days you can choose.  Also only takes one push of a button to turn these set alarms on or off.

Not too expensive, either.  Less than $40 on Amazon depending on which one you get.

2013-09-11 7:55 PM

Veteran
I use the Suunto Ambit, It lasts all week with only 1 overnight charge. That includes using the gps for all my runs, about 6-8 hrs a week.
2013-09-11 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
My daily watch is the Garmin FR70. Looks like a normal watch. Not too big.

With the footpod you have speed, distance, strides-per-minute, avg speed, etc.

With the bike accessory you get speed, distance, cadence, avg speed, etc.

I think it comes with a heart rate monitor (I don't use mine).

I'm thinking about one of the Suunto Ambits to have GPS. It's hard to justify when my FR70 works just fine.

Brian

2013-09-12 12:41 AM
in reply to: famelec

User image

I wear the Polar RCX5. I have the one with the GPS POD. The watch is slim and very good looking. You can get it in black or red. I think they also have a Tour de France version in yellow. I wear the red one and really like how it looks. As far as training goes it works great for swim, bike and run.
2013-09-12 2:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Another vote for the Polar RCX5 - with external GPS pod

2013-09-12 4:39 AM
in reply to: famelec

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by famelec

My daily watch is the Garmin FR70. Looks like a normal watch. Not too big.
With the footpod you have speed, distance, strides-per-minute, avg speed, etc.
With the bike accessory you get speed, distance, cadence, avg speed, etc.

x2

My FR70 is within 1% of my GPS watch.
All of the above + it is waterproof, has an alarm clock, loads up to Garmin Connect

I actually wear it during races as a backup, and because I am too lazy to take it off.
The thing I like about it is instantaneous pace is quite accurate, much more accurate that the GPS based 910xt.
2013-09-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user

Dallas
RCX3 here. It's just a tad slimmer than the RCX5 but with both you get a normal-looking watch and a GPS with an advertised 20 hours before you need to charge it again. I was looking to avoid one of those giant watches that would swallow my smaller wrist but the RCX3 has been just fine for everyday use (which I do all the time!).
2013-09-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: AggieTron

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Another vote for the Timex Ironman with 50-lap memory.  Inexpensive and readily available.

I particularly like the interval timer function since I use the Galloway run/walk in my training; I just run or walk until I hear the beep. 

The 50 lap version is more useful at the pool than the 30 lap version if you want to track your times; I used to run out of memory with my previous 30 lap model.

I've had several of them and the biggest complaint I have is that the Indiglo function usually doesn't work after you change batteries.

Mark

2013-09-12 1:37 PM

User image

Pro

When you say triathlon watch- I presume that means you want it to be waterproof?  So, that leaves out most of the garmin running watches- such as the 210, which is nicely packaged for everyday wear.

Depends on your needs.  For only $129, garmin sells their FR10.  It's waterproof, and will give you all the GPS functionality and is a good running watch, and will give you basic speed and distance for the bike.  It will auto pause, too (yay).  It's small, cheap, waterproof, and very wearable as an everyday watch.  I think that would be a better choice than a regular Ironman- which is just a stopwatch.  Biggest downside to the FR10- no ANT+  so it won't pick up a HR monitor.

If you need more functionality and options, perhaps the Timex Run Trainer.  Lot's more functionality for the run and the bike, ANT+ for HR or foot pod, more screens and variables, etc.  Also waterproof.  not really set up for race day, but you can make it work easily enough.  MSRP $225.

the only full triathlon watch, that really does all three sports, is the 910xt, but it's not an everyday watch.  Not that it's that huge, but it doesn't display the time.  Ok, you can turn the GPS off and set up a time display, but it's really not designed for this.  Their other running watches however, when you shut them off, just go into a low power time display (210, 410, 610), and other than not being waterproof, might also meet your needs.

2013-09-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Timex Ironman for me as well... though I have the 30 lap and wish I had the 50, mainly for swimming. 

I also should never, ever have gotten white.  I have no idea what colour it is now, but it's definitely NOT white. 

2013-09-13 7:42 AM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
So it sounds like most everyone is split between the timex ironman and a garmin GPS enabled watch. It seems the garmin really lacks the battery life needed for a day in and day out watch and the timex really lacks the functionality I was really wanting in a watch. This leads me to want to get a timex now and just use that til Christmas and then spring for a dedicated garmin triathlon watch.

Now if this is the case what would everyone's opinion be for a dedicated tri watch? Garmin 910xt? Or is there an equivalent in a different brand that does everything that the 910xt does?
2014-01-01 5:32 PM

User image

You should look at the Suunto Ambit 2. Gave the timex and the garmin 910 a try and liked the timex over the garmin but then a friend turned me onto the Suunto. The Ambit 2 does it all and it doubles as a watch. You can also download tons of different apps or even create your own. Best decision i have made. Bought a Garmin 210 for my wife she likes it but then she tried the Suunto, she will be switching soon. Clever Training has good prices.
2014-01-01 7:03 PM
in reply to: thomas.hands

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Timex Ironman for me, too. My day goes from teaching to coaching (swimming) to workout without a break much of the time, so my day-to-day, so I want to be able to jump in the pool without worrying about my watch. I do almost all of my training and racing with it, too. The models come in different colors so you can choose something that looks more conservative to go with work clothes. They have a women's model which is smaller and looks less like a sports watch, which works for me. I do have a Garmin (resolution is to actually use it this year) but it is HUGE--think the watch face is bigger than my wrist. I wouldn't wear it to work!

2014-01-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
My Timex Ironman 30 lap is still going strong after about 7 years. I keep thinking I'll get the upgraded model with the intervals and multiple alarms when this one dies, but it won't die!

It has been my hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, grilling, daily alarm, travel alarm, swim/bike/run timer, and many-other-things watch without a hiccup.

Tip: When you change the battery, wipe off, then coat the rubber O-ring with some silicon grease. $4 will buy you a lifetime supply of the stuff from any hardware store. Here's Lowe's version - http://www.lowes.com/pd_53861-1366-88693_0__

Mine is still fully functional after 5 battery changes, including the Indiglo feature!
2014-01-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4853435

naperville, Illinois
Timex
2014-01-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: thomas.hands

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thomas.hands You should look at the Suunto Ambit 2. Gave the timex and the garmin 910 a try and liked the timex over the garmin but then a friend turned me onto the Suunto. The Ambit 2 does it all and it doubles as a watch. You can also download tons of different apps or even create your own. Best decision i have made. Bought a Garmin 210 for my wife she likes it but then she tried the Suunto, she will be switching soon. Clever Training has good prices.

Yup.  I re-read my post above, and I didn't even mention the Ambit2.  turns out- three weeks ago, I bought one.  It's definitely more complicated than most, but also more powerful. And, unlike the 910xt, you can wear it as a (large) watch.  

In fact- I believe it's the only watch that meets your original request.  The 'sapphire' version would be the nicest looking.  Me- I've got small wrists, and needed to go with the Ambit 2S (S for 'smaller') which fits me a lot more comfortably.  You sacrifice battery life, a temp sensor and barometric altimeter if going with the 'S' as well.  

2014-01-03 10:46 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Last summer I was away at a work conference for a week. I decided to only bring my 910XT and use it for running and for a daily use watch. All I did was put it into indoor pool mode and create a "page" on the watch that had only "time of day" showing. By putting it in indoor mode, the GPS is disabled. The only downside is that there isn't anything to show the date, if that's what you need from a watch. But if all you want to know is what time it is, then this will do the trick. Even though it hardly used any battery, I threw it on the charger when I slept.
2014-01-04 7:42 AM
in reply to: seeverist

User image

Pro
Timex Ironman.

2019-06-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best triathlon watch that doubles as an everyday watch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Triathlon GPS Watch

Started by stevelaz
Views: 26727 Posts: 25

2010-12-22 10:51 PM stevelaz

best triathlon videos to watch?

Started by ben739
Views: 1295 Posts: 3

2008-02-21 9:35 PM JeepFleeb

Best training watch (especially for swimming)

Started by tricantrell
Views: 913 Posts: 10

2007-09-11 7:43 PM Gaarryy

Good Tri Watch for under $50

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1167 Posts: 4

2005-02-25 7:19 PM nikki

Best part of watching Ironman

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 1052 Posts: 6

2004-10-17 9:32 AM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : April 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 40
Triathletes want more! Instead of a double or triple Ironman, how about a fourth sport?

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.