World Triathlon Corporation
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 54m 2s
Overall Rank = 1542/2062
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 66/98
Pre-race routine:

Race morning we woke at 4, ate some rice cakes with peanut butter and bananas and coconut water... met fellow Talisman Team member and headed down to the race start.
We were greeted not by baking desert sun but by pouring rain and a T1 that was more mud than anything. Got the tires filled, made sure my nutrition was where it should be and headed out to find some shelter with Trevor while watching the earlier waves get going.
Thankfully despite the rain it was warm out.
Event warmup:

Not allowed into the water until your wave starts... so unless you consider swimming to the start line and treading water to be a warm up... there really was none.

Swim
  • 44m 28s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am a weak swimmer to begin with and started at the back of the pack for that reason but still somehow wound up getting punched in the back of the head and having my goggles stripped off by another swimmer.
I, of course, panicked and then somehow swam quite far off course... Once the marshal herded me back to where I had to be I tried to settle into my own rhythm and relax a bit.
As usual I was just relieved to get out of the water but shocked and disappointed by how badly this went. Was even slower than I had expected.
What would you do differently?:

Still focusing on technique. Taking some classes this year. REALLY hope having a coach will help me figure this one out.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

This went fairly well considering the very long and muddy run from the exit to T1.
I managed to not walk or slip and fall.
Got my gear in order, grabbed my bike and ran up the long exit to the mount line.

One day I am going to learn to mount up faster...
Bike
  • 3h 03m 50s
  • 91.09 kms
  • 29.73 km/hr
Comments:

Heading out it was just pouring down... I began a bit nervous and then realized just how much fun I was having! I LOVE my bike.
The hills on this course are amazing and it seemed I Was either going 15kph or 50kph.
I am used to the small local races where I can get out of the water behind and spend the first part of the bike catching and passing all the weaker cyclists... problem here was, this is the World Championships, there are no weak cyclists.
I just rode what I could... Garmin at this point was giving me grief again and had once again become a very expensive stop watch with no usable data... so I went by feel. I definitely went out too timid and did start to pick it up on the way back.
Apparently I moved up almost 20 spots in my AG on the bike and although this was the slowest 90km I have logged in a long time, at this level that makes me think I am heading in the right direction with my cycling.

NEED to be more aggressive with hills and cornering.

Shouldn't have been so afraid of the rain.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Ran in, ran out... seemed pretty quick.
I love how organized and clean this set up is.
Run
  • 1h 58m 39s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 37s  min/km
Comments:

This is the part where I blew up last year so I went out fairly conservatively for the first lap... and the second lap... and gave the third lap what I had left in the tank but by then it was too far gone to really salvage.
I am glad that I never walked. I am glad that I seem to have figured out a nutrition plan that works for me.

I definitely need more run endurance/strength to have the confidence to go out and run the half off the bike with the same gusto I would my stand alone half.
Should have been far more aggressive... after all this is the World Championships!
Post race

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:28 | 1900 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 80/98
Overall: 1686/2062
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 1 loop in the warm muddy waters of Lake Las Vegas.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:50 | 91.09 kms | 29.73 km/hr
Age Group: 62/98
Overall: 1573/2062
Wind:
Course: Wow... Out and back through Lake Mead. HILLS, HILLS, HILLS... and so much fun!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:39 | 21.1 kms | 05m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 66/98
Overall: 1542/2062
Course: MORE HILLS! 3-Loop Run either up hill or down...
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-11 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman World Championship 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman World Championship 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman World Championships 70.3 Pages: 1 2

Started by amiine
Views: 5263 Posts: 33

2007-11-15 2:30 PM wyecrab

Ironman World Championships 70.3

Started by rbalazs
Views: 2062 Posts: 4

2007-11-12 7:38 PM Jackemy

Started by jazz82482
Views: 3104 Posts: 25

2007-11-15 9:08 AM gadzinm

Started by billcarb
Views: 3153 Posts: 9

2007-11-12 7:46 PM Jackemy

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 3410 Posts: 15

2006-11-17 7:14 AM Mesteren
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.