Other Resources The Political Joe » Miss Kansas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-12 12:13 PM

User image

Subject: Miss Kansas
I've seen a bunch of back and forth about Miss (this) and Miss (that) contests. I got a kick out of Miss Kansas going for Miss America.

http://missoutdoorgirl.com/
http://www.missamerica.org/videocontest/default.aspx

2013-09-12 12:26 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Miss Kansas

Leviticus 19:28 reads, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."

Someone may want to tell this "God fearing," "contemporary" woman to read her Bible.  Just sayin.

2013-09-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Perhaps. But then again, I know some people who quoted Leviticus to a Rabbi while eating a pulled pork sandwich.

That was amusing too.

2013-09-12 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by DanielG Perhaps. But then again, I know some people who quoted Leviticus to a Rabbi while eating a pulled pork sandwich. That was amusing too.

LOL, I can quote it all day long as I'm no God fearing woman :)

2013-09-12 12:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by DanielG Perhaps. But then again, I know some people who quoted Leviticus to a Rabbi while eating a pulled pork sandwich. That was amusing too.

LOL, I can quote it all day long as I'm no God fearing woman

I just figure you do it your way, I'll do it my way and if we cannot communicate civilly, we'll agree to avoid the topic.

I just think those who believe Miss Whatever are vapid, Barbie dolls would have exploding heads over one who hunts speaks Mandarin and is a reservist.

Amusing, to say the least.
2013-09-12 12:50 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

There's a lot of buzz locally about this.

“Why am I choosing to bear my tattoos? Reference A; my platform! Empowering women to OVERCOME stereotypes and break barriers. What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink. With my platform, how could I tell other women to be fearless and be true to themselves if I can’t do the same? Now, had my platform been something entirely different, maybe the tables would be turned. Maybe. But I am who I am, tattoos and all.”

2013-09-12 12:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by DanielG

I just figure you do it your way, I'll do it my way and if we cannot communicate civilly, we'll agree to avoid the topic. I just think those who believe Miss Whatever are vapid, Barbie dolls would have exploding heads over one who hunts speaks Mandarin and is a reservist. Amusing, to say the least.

She does seem to have a very unique set of characteristics for a contestant, though many of those women have interesting and somewhat eclectic skill sets.

Presenting herself as both a "God fearing" woman and a contemporary one with tattoos to be displayed suggests that she either doesn't know her Bible or she doesn't believe that part of Leviticus applies to her. She's gone out of her way to try to make a cogent argument for why she will be displaying her tattoos, yet her argument seems to have a fatal flaw--and that flaw is the "word of the Lord."

2013-09-12 1:08 PM

User image

I just figure you do it your way, I'll do it my way and if we cannot communicate civilly, we'll agree to avoid the topic. I just think those who believe Miss Whatever are vapid, Barbie dolls would have exploding heads over one who hunts speaks Mandarin and is a reservist. Amusing, to say the least.

She does seem to have a very unique set of characteristics for a contestant, though many of those women have interesting and somewhat eclectic skill sets.

Presenting herself as both a "God fearing" woman and a contemporary one with tattoos to be displayed suggests that she either doesn't know her Bible or she doesn't believe that part of Leviticus applies to her. She's gone out of her way to try to make a cogent argument for why she will be displaying her tattoos, yet her argument seems to have a fatal flaw--and that flaw is the "word of the Lord."

I guess she is of a differing opinion. It's not hurting or hindering you in any way, shape or form, so I'm going to have to side with her with the doing what you believe best for your own beliefs and then living them.

2013-09-12 1:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Leviticus 19:28 reads, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."

Someone may want to tell this "God fearing," "contemporary" woman to read her Bible.  Just sayin.

Context really is everything here. Christianity is not bound to Old Testament laws.

God gave this command to the Israelites around 1444 B.C. (right after the parting of the Red Sea) to forbid them from practicing the idolatrous customs they'd picked up in Egyptian captivity. Their captors had a nasty habit of slashing themselves to express grief and to appease their pantheon of imaginary gods. The Egyptians also tattooed their bodies with symbols of pagan gods. So Jehovah, the only true God, essentially said to the Israelites, I don't want you to practice those silly superstitions anymore. You're my people, and I love you. The heart of God's message isn't about body art, but about reminding the Israelites they belong to him.

2013-09-12 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yay, I get to give Switch another Bible lesson.  ;-)

In the old testament there are three types of laws that are written about.
Ceremonial Law - these were laws such as sacrificing animals for sin offerings type stuff.  These laws are no longer relavent because they were for people prior to Jesus.  Jesus replaced these laws as the ultimate that was sacrificed for all.
Civil Law - This was the civil law for the people of Israel of that day.  The verse you quote is an example of the civil law of that day to maintain law and order.  They're not applicable to Christians today, but they're the most common ones thrown out in an attempt to call Christians hypocrites and/or discredit the bible.  <cough cough> ;-)
Moral Law - These are the direct commandments of God such as the ten commandments.  They are every bit as binding as they were back in the day.

So, I agree.  Somebody needs to get out their Bible. 

2013-09-12 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I know I already touched on it, but you really need to get into the Bible a little more before you start beating people with it.

Christianity has nothing to do with sacrificing goats, long sideburns, or having tattoos.  It's about accepting Jesus as your personal savior and trying to live a Christ like existence.  We all sin, including myself, but I strive to get better.
If she were out partying, posting nudie pictures all over the place and killing baby kittens I may question her truly being a Christian or not, but simply having tattoos is no different than calling her a hypocrite because she doesn't sacrifice goats as an offering.

2013-09-12 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I guess she is of a differing opinion. It's not hurting or hindering you in any way, shape or form, so I'm going to have to side with her with the doing what you believe best for your own beliefs and then living them.

Switch needs to be more tolerant.  (hehe, said with love)

2013-09-12 1:42 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

John 11:35 - Jesus wept.

Christians are called to be like Jesus. So get ta cryin!

2013-09-12 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

Ceremonial Law - these were laws such as sacrificing animals for sin offerings type stuff.  These laws are no longer relavent because they were for people prior to Jesus.  Jesus replaced these laws as the ultimate that was sacrificed for all.
Civil Law - This was the civil law for the people of Israel of that day.  The verse you quote is an example of the civil law of that day to maintain law and order.  They're not applicable to Christians today, but they're the most common ones thrown out in an attempt to call Christians hypocrites and/or discredit the bible.  ;-)
Moral Law - These are the direct commandments of God such as the ten commandments.  They are every bit as binding as they were back in the day.

So, I agree.  Somebody needs to get out their Bible.  :)

Fair enough.  I didn't know there were different laws and that some were applicable and some weren't.  That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but it doesn't need to.  Why is the Leviticus quote written as if it were God's word and not civil law?

Educate me.

2013-09-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lisac957

Context really is everything here. Christianity is not bound to Old Testament laws.

God gave this command to the Israelites around 1444 B.C. (right after the parting of the Red Sea) to forbid them from practicing the idolatrous customs they'd picked up in Egyptian captivity. Their captors had a nasty habit of slashing themselves to express grief and to appease their pantheon of imaginary gods. The Egyptians also tattooed their bodies with symbols of pagan gods. So Jehovah, the only true God, essentially said to the Israelites, I don't want you to practice those silly superstitions anymore. You're my people, and I love you. The heart of God's message isn't about body art, but about reminding the Israelites they belong to him.

I can say from experience that a lot of "christians" certainly aren't. LMAO

2013-09-12 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

LOL, I can quote it all day long as I'm no God fearing woman :)

I know I already touched on it, but you really need to get into the Bible a little more before you start beating people with it.

Christianity has nothing to do with sacrificing goats, long sideburns, or having tattoos.  It's about accepting Jesus as your personal savior and trying to live a Christ like existence.  We all sin, including myself, but I strive to get better.
If she were out partying, posting nudie pictures all over the place and killing baby kittens I may question her truly being a Christian or not, but simply having tattoos is no different than calling her a hypocrite because she doesn't sacrifice goats as an offering.

Dude, it's awfully confusing.  Which words are the word of the Lord and which aren't.  Is there some sort of Bible for Dummies quick code?

2013-09-12 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
PA

She is sweet, strong and sexy.  Perfect woman.  I don't seem much else to discuss.

2013-09-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

I think that goes for pretty much every religion.Hypocrisy is not bound by religion, race, or creed.

There's another response to why the OT forbids tattoos and piercings. We are made in G-d's image, it would be insulting to Him to disfigure his creation.

Scars from surgery and bike crashes are exempt.

2013-09-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly 

So we've got that going for us!Cool

2013-09-12 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Civil Law - This was the civil law for the people of Israel of that day.  The verse you quote is an example of the civil law of that day to maintain law and order.  They're not applicable to Christians today, but they're the most common ones thrown out in an attempt to call Christians hypocrites and/or discredit the bible.  ;-)

So, I agree.  Somebody needs to get out their Bible. 

Fair enough.  I didn't know there were different laws and that some were applicable and some weren't.  That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but it doesn't need to.  Why is the Leviticus quote written as if it were God's word and not civil law?

Educate me.

Probably the easiest way to describe it is that the bible isn't just one book you read cover to cover.  It has the old testament and the new testament.  Generally speaking the old testament describes the creation of the earth (Genesis) and gives a historical account of the generations leading up to Christ.  The old testament also describes in great detail the plight of the Israelites and their escape from Egypt.  Moses was their leader and he was given the 10 commandments as well as all of the other laws that the people of Israel had to follow.  These are often called Moses law or Old testament laws and break down similar to how I described them above. 

The New Testament describes the life of Christ and his followers.  By the time Jesus came the laws of Moses had been turned into a bunch of ceremonial rules and rituals that people followed to get into heaven.  Jesus disagreed with these rules and spoke of people finding loopholes in the rules where they were "religious" but still lived greedy and wicked lives.  (Matthew 23:23-28)
(Sounds like a lot of people today as well)

Jesus didn't abolish the moral and ethical laws of the old testament, but he reaffirmed them and even expanded upon them.  The new testament then goes on to describe how Jesus's ultimate sacrifice on the cross forever ended the need for animal sacrifice and other ceremonial law going forward.

I don't profess to be an expert on the Bible, and I agree that it can be confusing.  There are probably 10,000 websites that can describe all of this a lot better than I can.  

2013-09-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by Left Brain

I think that goes for pretty much every religion.Hypocrisy is not bound by religion, race, or creed.

There's another response to why the OT forbids tattoos and piercings. We are made in G-d's image, it would be insulting to Him to disfigure his creation.

I can attest to there being a lot of Hypocrisy in Christianity.  It always bugs me to see "holier than thou" Christians who talk down their nose to people.  Dude, get the plank out of your eye before you point out the speck in somebody else eye.

I do know a lot of people who don't get tattoos because they want to honor God's old testament law as much as they can.  They aren't mandated to follow it, but they still like to because it's their way of honoring him.

In the same way, I know a lot of people who do get tattoos with various scriptures or symbols because they want to honor God as well.  There are also people who lived some very rough lives and have seriously evil tattoos on their bodies who are Christians.  They just so happened to get the tattoos before they found Jesus.

2013-09-12 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So, I agree.  Somebody needs to get out their Bible.  :)

Educate me.

Probably the easiest way to describe it is that the bible isn't just one book you read cover to cover.  It has the old testament and the new testament.  Generally speaking the old testament describes the creation of the earth (Genesis) and gives a historical account of the generations leading up to Christ.  The old testament also describes in great detail the plight of the Israelites and their escape from Egypt.  Moses was their leader and he was given the 10 commandments as well as all of the other laws that the people of Israel had to follow.  These are often called Moses law or Old testament laws and break down similar to how I described them above. 

The New Testament describes the life of Christ and his followers.  By the time Jesus came the laws of Moses had been turned into a bunch of ceremonial rules and rituals that people followed to get into heaven.  Jesus disagreed with these rules and spoke of people finding loopholes in the rules where they were "religious" but still lived greedy and wicked lives.  (Matthew 23:23-28)
(Sounds like a lot of people today as well)

Jesus didn't abolish the moral and ethical laws of the old testament, but he reaffirmed them and even expanded upon them.  The new testament then goes on to describe how Jesus's ultimate sacrifice on the cross forever ended the need for animal sacrifice and other ceremonial law going forward.

I don't profess to be an expert on the Bible, and I agree that it can be confusing.  There are probably 10,000 websites that can describe all of this a lot better than I can.   :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead. I have read the Bible--more than once--and I'm sure I'll read it again. I was being facetious.

There are certainly many interpretations of the Bible, and many "modern" Christians who would argue that you shouldn't get tattoos because it goes against God's word.  They're some of the 10,000 websites that get into the details:)

I have no problem with tattoos.

I have no problem with Christianity.

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound;)

I absolutely could stand to be more "tolerant" of a lot of things. 

2013-09-12 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Am I the only one that saw her in uniform outside and immediately thought: Why don't you have your cover on?

I didn't even see the tattoos in the video.
2013-09-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by Marvarnett Am I the only one that saw her in uniform outside and immediately thought: Why don't you have your cover on? I didn't even see the tattoos in the video.

She was indoors in the pic I saw.  You were to take them off in the Navy.  I didn't catch what branch she was in or whether it's different in other branches.

2013-09-12 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
PA

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound

Even if whaaaa?  Why not shoot a compound?  Ever try to hold a 5 min draw motionless as a buck looks your way, scanning for any movement from the mouse fart that he heard over 120yds away?  I once had one come up on my right and I started to stand and did a full draw so I could swing my body to my right while he was behind two trees.  He stopped and peeked between the trees while I was in a half squat position and the bow drawn.  I had to hold that position for a loooong time.  The bow draw didn't kill me.. my legs were brutal though.  ;-)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Miss Kansas Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3059 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

Miss Universe Canada Typo Awards Crown To Wrong Contestant

Started by DanielG
Views: 854 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 7:28 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.