General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 WI Dells Moving Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-12 1:32 PM

Subject: Rev3 WI Dells Moving
Hello!

I've been lurking for years, and have benefitted greatly from this forum. It's time that I can actually contribute something back.

I received an email today from Rev3 that says that the Half in Wisonsin Dells will be moving from the second weekend in August to June 22nd for 2014.

The reason they stated was, "we feel like more athletes will be able to join in as we will no longer be competing against some other popular races in the late summer". That sounds like code for IMoo was too close to it.

So, we now have another option available for a Half to use as a prep race.

Now I'm on the fence about whether to do the Boulder Half the previous weekend or WI Dells (brother in CO).

2013-09-12 1:45 PM
in reply to: DealerTodd

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Rev3 WI Dells Moving
There was also Steelhead at about the same time. Racine is only a couple weeks before. Muncie isn't *that* long beforehand too. USAT nationals being in Milwaukee the same weekend this year would not have helped them either. Chicago Tri was fairly close after and now there will be the ITU Chicago starting next year.
2013-09-12 1:47 PM

User image

Milwaukee
IMO,

2nd week in august is too close to IMWI for it to draw people for a "warm-up" race...

They didn't want to pick july 20...because that's the weekend of Racine 70.3...

so they picked june 20th weekend ... so now they're 4 weeks before Racine 70.3 and 11 or 12 weeks before IMWI.

Probably a good move for them.

There's also the Door County 70.3 in there somewhere as well to plan around.

2013-09-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by brigby1

There was also Steelhead at about the same time. Racine is only a couple weeks before. Muncie isn't *that* long beforehand too. USAT nationals being in Milwaukee the same weekend this year would not have helped them either. Chicago Tri was fairly close after and now there will be the ITU Chicago starting next year.

USAT Nationals is in Milwaukee again in 2014. I'm guessing around the same dates.

2013-09-12 1:52 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Will you be prepared to race at altitude in Boulder?  If not, you would be better off racing in WI.
2013-09-12 1:59 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Prepared for the altitude in Boulder? Not at all. I live full time in Iowa. I'll have to factor that into my decision.

2013-09-12 3:06 PM

Chicago
I saw the announcement on the Rev3 FB page and nearly commented. At least for Chicago athletes, they picked a date with 2 popular Oly/Sprint races in southern WI in Pleasant Prairie and Big Foot. But I also get why they danced around Steelhead, Racine, etc.. Just speaking for myself, I'd have considered Dells in Aug but not in June. Oh well. There's a lot of races out there to choose from and that's great for the sport. I'm just happy they've confirmed they're keeping Cedar Point in early Sept for a Full. I have heard very little bad feedback about Rev3 so I'm eager to register for one some day. Everybody says they do one heck of a job. 
2013-09-12 11:36 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Did that race this year, rev3 is a fun, different than ironman but fun all the same. That date may work for me to do it again as a build up to IM boulder with out having to travel as much
2013-09-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by kskonkol

USAT Nationals is in Milwaukee again in 2014. I'm guessing around the same dates.

Bingo, I talked to Charlie at REV 3 Dells this year. They asked USAT numerous times when they were going to do AG Nats since they knew already it was going to be in Milwaukee, they heard nothing. Sp they commit to their planned weekend, get permits, etc. and a few days later USAT announces AG Nats in Milwaukee. That is the main reason why. They had a massive drop off from the race this year due to AG Nats, still a handful did the double, but too many were lost to AG Nats, either racing or volunteering.

However, the tri race schedule in June locally is very dense. They will compete a weekend away from a very popular cheap ($85) HIM 2 hours away. It is also the same weekend as Pleasant Prairie (one of the most popular Olympics distances races in the midwest). Plus there are races in or very near the Madison area every weekend prior in the month.

I think in the grand scheme this will help the numbers for REV 3, but I don't think it will pull any of the local IM'ers away, or more so from the August date. Most IM'ers do either Door County or Racine in July (perfect amount of time out). They have moved to a date with less midwest competition, but way more local competition.
2013-10-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
Green Bay
I just checked, High Cliff is the weekend before. Door County tri is late July....
2013-10-04 7:27 AM
in reply to: wisconmd

User image

Originally posted by wisconmd

I just checked, High Cliff is the weekend before. Door County tri is late July....

Door County is the same weekend as Racine, IIRC...because i'm looking at potentially doing it for my 70.3 before Choo

2013-10-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by kskonkol

Bingo, I talked to Charlie at REV 3 Dells this year. They asked USAT numerous times when they were going to do AG Nats since they knew already it was going to be in Milwaukee, they heard nothing. Sp they commit to their planned weekend, get permits, etc. and a few days later USAT announces AG Nats in Milwaukee. That is the main reason why. They had a massive drop off from the race this year due to AG Nats, still a handful did the double, but too many were lost to AG Nats, either racing or volunteering.

However, the tri race schedule in June locally is very dense. They will compete a weekend away from a very popular cheap ($85) HIM 2 hours away. It is also the same weekend as Pleasant Prairie (one of the most popular Olympics distances races in the midwest). Plus there are races in or very near the Madison area every weekend prior in the month.

I think in the grand scheme this will help the numbers for REV 3, but I don't think it will pull any of the local IM'ers away, or more so from the August date. Most IM'ers do either Door County or Racine in July (perfect amount of time out). They have moved to a date with less midwest competition, but way more local competition.

Just got an email Friday saying I qualified for US Nationals...didn't know it was an option for me. The race in 2014 will be Saturday, August 9th for the Olympic (Sunday for the sprint). Still deciding if I will, but you don't get the opportunity often and Milwaukee is so close for me in Madison.
2013-10-08 1:45 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Milwaukee
Add another 70.3 to the SE Wisconsin Area for 2014.

I got this email from Elkhart Lake Multisport yesterday:

"Over the years we have been asked if we would consider holding a 1/2 iron distance event in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

We believe the time might be right.

Your input as we consider launching a new 1/2 iron distance (70.3 total miles) triathlon is appreciated. The start/finish would be at The Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. The swim would be in Elkhart Lake (Wisconsin). The cycling portion is planned to go east into Sheboygan County. The run would consist of a double loop course.

I've invited you to fill out a survey that will help us plan this event. To fill it out, visit:"

The survey had a list of most of the weekends in june, july and august and asked which one would I consider and then it listed the other 70.3 races and asked which race I would replace to do this new race. (They did have an option that was "It would not replace another race")

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 WI Dells Moving Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BT Ironman WI mini-camp June 6-8 Madison, WI Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 9358 Posts: 106

2008-06-10 7:18 AM mndiver

IM WI

Started by MUL98
Views: 774 Posts: 6

2006-08-16 3:27 PM rollinbones

IM WI Loop backwards

Started by budbob66
Views: 875 Posts: 2

2006-06-12 7:10 AM BadgerIronMan

IM WI Road or Tri bike

Started by zaboo
Views: 1090 Posts: 4

2006-04-18 8:31 AM kleinrider

IM WI 2006 - Madison hotel recommendations

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 996 Posts: 8

2005-10-01 10:47 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.