General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman Wales 2014 are you in it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-13 9:11 AM

User image

Subject: ironman Wales 2014 are you in it?
just signed up to my first Ironman ( and triathlon )!

I'm hoping for a 14h at the moment but will soon see the revised time as training gets underway.

anyone else joining the party?

Plaziescouse

2013-09-26 6:28 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: ironman Wales 2014 are you in it?
It's a fantastic place to have the race in Tenby and Pembrokeshire.

I finished IM Wales 3 weeks ago (also my first 'completed' triathlon...had a bike issue in the half IM I had planned before it)
I haven't made the decision to do it again yet but will definitely do it again in future.
It's a tough course but I managed to finish relativley unscathed so it's not impossible.
My background is as a marathoner, I knew how to swim too so my key limiter was the bike.
It's the kind of race that will expose any weaknesses and the bike course certainly spat me out.
I only had access to my bike at the weekends, I still did my progressions up to 7hrs but the
course definitely requires superior cycling fitness. Something I will need to work on for another go.

Finish time was 14hr48 with splits of 1hr18/8hr13/4hr43
My goal was to finish so must be pleased with that.

The swim course is considered one of the best and I agree. It was actually warmer in the water on the morning.
We were lucky with the sea conditions which were calm, so it was simply a case of riding the draft all around.

I took 22 mins in T1 due to the run in between coupled with a novices lack of changing experience. Something to work on.
I had not reccied the bike course and it had rained overnight so the first couple of hours were taken on the careful side.

The first 30 miles are nice, scenic and undulating with some modetate climbs.
Passing through Pembroke and some fast miles gives a false sense of security for the hills ahead.
The approach to Narbeth constitutes endless spinning climbs.
There is one tough climb and a tricky descent then onto the lowest-gear spinner up and up into Narbeth to the aid station.

From the there is more manageable undulations and then a dangerous descent at wisemans bridge.

When you get to the bottom there is an S bend which completely kills your speed and from an almost standing start you climb
a 16% hill. This imo is the toughest climb and really takes it out of you.

From there it's down into Saundersfoot and up Heartbreak Hill. This is fine. It's out of the saddle hard but more than manageable especially with
the run in from the descent and the supporters coupled with the shame you'd feel if you wanted to unclip and walk it up.
The rest of the climb is a seated relentless spinner.
Then a modest drop into Tenby then a right turn for another go at the above.

I went from thinking on the first lap "I've got this sorted" to worrying about making the cut off in the space of a half an hour.
The run course doesn't have a 10 metre stretch of flatness. It's a decent gradual climb up out the highway then a gradual descent back into the town for a zig zag through the fantastic support, then out again.

In hindsight, I need to do the race again in order to get some redemption on the bike course.
My ego is telling me to flatter it and go do a flatish course for a quick time but I've managed to finish what's considered one of the harder course which ranks with Kona and Lanzarote in terms of difficulty,

Edited by foxyboxer 2013-09-26 6:33 AM
2013-09-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: foxyboxer

User image

Regular
An excellent summery of Tenby.
I'm a local to Tenby and have done the course twice now. There has always been a big fuss about "heartbreak hill" but I would agree with you, it's nothing compared to wisemans. I believe it's called Wisemans because a wiseman would get off and walk, LOL.
The crowds carry you up Saundersfoot, no doubt.

What you said Foxyboxer is a sad reality. The course is really hard and there are faster and flatter courses out there. It is for that reason that, although Tenby has pulled in good field of pro's over the last 3 years, it will never pull any of the biggest names. In my opinion They should offer more points for Tenby, as it is so hard. That might pull them in.

Well done on your finish. Decent time for your first Tri especialy IM Wales.

2013-09-30 11:33 PM
in reply to: Plaziescouse

User image

I'm in again for my 3rd time.
I've just read your other post on the introduce page, you're going to have to spend a lot of time on that bike of yours. Wales is a demanding course, there are no big climbs but plenty of short sharp little ones.
I'm not sure exactly where you are in Merseyside but if you live near Ashurst Beacon and Parbold Hill then these are similar type climbs to IM Wales.

There is a chaingang on Pimbo Industrial Estate (Skem) on Wednesday nights throughout the winter, it's specifically aimed at triathletes and has groups from Novice to advanced.
Have a look for The Triathlon Hub on facebook, there's Tri specific training most days and open water swimming from April.
Good luck with the training.
2013-12-31 5:23 AM
in reply to: garswood

User image

Hi guys I am in for Wales 2014. Not new to the training but plenty of shoulder/knee injuries over last two years to keep me busy. Training starts again next week.
Happy New Year

Sean
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman Wales 2014 are you in it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Eagleman 2014

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1481 Posts: 2

2013-08-01 7:51 PM adamjbosley

Best First Ironman (~May 2014)

Started by imargil
Views: 2233 Posts: 4

2013-07-18 8:46 PM trebor587

New IM sites for 2014

Started by jruns
Views: 3273 Posts: 11

2013-07-22 11:29 AM Skyhawk

IM CDL 2014 registration questions...

Started by pbreed
Views: 1238 Posts: 4

2013-06-25 8:29 AM spie34

Lake Placid 2014

Started by USAFR
Views: 1130 Posts: 4

2013-05-03 8:13 AM USAFR
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.