Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need ideas for kid chores and incentives Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-13 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
Subject: Need ideas for kid chores and incentives
My kids are 7, 7, and 4. What are some things that your younger kids do as chores to earn an allowance? What do you use as incentives to get them to do things they don't really like to do?

2013-09-13 2:04 PM
in reply to: ApplePie

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Need ideas for kid chores and incentives

7 year old does the following:

Dumps all trash cans into big trash
Cleans room/play room
Helps load and unload dishwasher
Feeds cat
Sets the table, clears the table

She gets $2 a week. Her drive used to be "meh...whatever..." until she realized that she could make out like a bandit at the dollar store/target dollar spot if she saved a few weeks worth of allowance.

If she doesn't do something, we deduct. Usually a quarter or fiddy cent.

We have a chore-chart that she does everyday to keep track.

2013-09-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I thought the incentive was avoiding arse whoopings! 
2013-09-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by Kido

I thought the incentive was avoiding arse whoopings! 

I didn't want to put that in for fear of derailing this thread......but yeah....that too.

2013-09-13 2:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Wish I would have gotten paid to do chores! 
I did get paid for grades though, starting in middle school. Just food for thought  

I remember being assigned Tue/Thurs/Sat dinner set up and clean up (and was so mad that Thanksgiving ALWAYS fell on a Thursday - not fair!!!)

2013-09-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Bronze member

My son is 7 and daughter is 5. My daughter is not really too interested in earning money yet. My son has a long list of things he wants.

We are just getting started with this idea also. So far the only set in stone thing they are paid for is practicing piano with NO hassle - gets them a quarter. 

They are asked to set the table - not paid. You sit here to eat you can help. I guess they are paid with food on the table .

If they don't eat with nice manners they get the piggy (little plastic toy pig). Whoever ends the meal with the piggy has to clear the table (pinterest idea). Still not paid.....

Cleaning their room is also just their job. Never get paid for that either. If they have it clean on laundry day I will put their laundry away for them. If not - they have to put their own laundry away. I won't go in a messy room.

I have tried to tell my son that chores to earn money have to be things that help Mommy or Daddy have less work to do. But it is too vague and not at all consistent.

But things I have thought about suggesting are:

Scooping the doggie poo

Feeding the dogs

Washing the windows

Running the vacuum

If the room stays clean all week earn a bonus of an extra dollar.

2013-09-13 4:31 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

We started trying to do the chore based incentive system where it was do this and we'll give you X amount of money and it didn't work out very well.  It seemed like the kids were always begging to "do something" for money and we'd make up dumb menial tasks so they could get what they wanted.

So, we came up with a completely different approach and oh my goodness did it work out well.  We have three kids and at approximately the ages of 9, 7, & 5 we gave them an automatic allowance of their age every week.  So the 9 year old received $9 per week and the 7 year old received $7.  We paid them on my payday which was every two weeks so they'd get their $18 bucks every other week.

My wife then came up with a list of age appropriate chores for each kid with similar things like are mentioned above.  The middle one would have a chore to empty the garbage can whenever it was full and the youngest would spray lysol and put the liner in the can.  That would be their only chore for that season, and if they ever threw a fit about not doing it or didn't do it then they wouldn't get any allowance at all for that week.  (ouch)  We usually kept the chores relatively light so they were easy for them to do.

Then on the flip side we completely stopped buying them things other than necessity items such as school supplies, clothes and the likes.  If they wanted an X box then they had to save their money to buy the X box.  If they wanted a TV they had to save their money for a TV.  We bought them almost nothing.  We would get them Christmas presents and such, so don't go thinking we're that mean.  lol

I have so many amazing stories about our kids managing their money wisely over the years.  Both of the boys saved up for close to a year to buy X boxes.  They saved up to buy 42" LCD TV's for their rooms with surround sound, iPhones and God knows what other crazy stuff.  But the coolest part is the money management skills and patience that they gained.

As the boys got older and turned 16, they immediately went out job hunting because they wanted bigger and better stuff.  They each wanted a car so we told them they had to make a payment on it.  They budgeted $250/mo. for their car so they knew they had to get a job making X and when they made the first payment we went out and bought them a $10k car.  They then made the payment to us every month on the first and have to buy their own gas.  They simply do not ever ask us for money because they know what the answer will be.  They know that they have to go earn their own money and live within their budget.

The oldest is now in College and the other two are in High School and they still get the same allowance.  We do just give the college one his without any chores.  I think he's earned it at this point.  My wife and I have kind of joked that we're just going to keep giving them their age every week forever.  It's kind of fun. 

I'm not going to profess that this plan is perfect, but our kids are the most financially responsible kids we know and all of their friends think they're spoiled rotten due to the amount of "stuff" they have.  Yet, they buy all of their own stuff.
The oldest has a 760 credit score at 18 and buys everything on a cash rewards card and pays it off every month.  He has no desire to go into any kind of debt and is already saving to buy a new car outright as a graduation present to himself.

Also, I can't remember how old they were, but it was several years ago we set them up with their own checking account and debit card.  This made it a lot easier to auto transfer their allowance into their account every other week.  They also have their own logins to check their balance and see how much money they have.

2013-09-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

Tony, I like it.

My son is sitting here while I'm discussing it with my husband. He was all ears until I got to the part about not getting anything if the work is not done. He says "hold on, I think your going a little overboard here" ha ha ha.

But it's a deal - we're starting this week. 7 dollars, he vacuums all the rooms upstairs.

My daughter is going to wash the windows.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by trigal38 2013-09-13 5:09 PM
2013-09-13 5:29 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by trigal38

Tony, I like it.

My son is sitting here while I'm discussing it with my husband. He was all ears until I got to the part about not getting anything if the work is not done. He says "hold on, I think your going a little overboard here" ha ha ha.

But it's a deal - we're starting this week. 7 dollars, he vacuums all the rooms upstairs.

My daughter is going to wash the windows.

Fingers crossed!

Awesome, good luck. 

2013-09-13 7:07 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
My kids are too old to beat anymore......but they don't know it yet.  They're still taking care of business under the threat of pain.  It's like autopilot for me. Laughing
2013-09-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

My kids are too old to beat anymore......but they don't know it yet.  They're still taking care of business under the threat of pain.  It's like autopilot for me. Laughing

Wait until that boy realizes you're full of it.

2013-09-13 8:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Left Brain My kids are too old to beat anymore......but they don't know it yet.  They're still taking care of business under the threat of pain.  It's like autopilot for me. Laughing
Wait until that boy realizes you're full of it.

He's close.

The trick is to every now an then do something completely stupid crazy to make him go, "man, I just don't know, that dude could still twist off".  Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-13 8:55 PM
2013-09-13 10:17 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

The trick is to every now an then do something completely stupid crazy to make him go, "man, I just don't know, that dude could still twist off".  Laughing

Exceptional. I'll keep that in mind.

2013-09-14 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain My kids are too old to beat anymore......but they don't know it yet.  They're still taking care of business under the threat of pain.  It's like autopilot for me. Laughing

lol, my middle one is 16 and plays Defensive End on his football team.  I was screwing around with him one day telling him he had to do something that I was supposed to do.  I started pushing him to make him go into the other room.  Yeah, he pretty much threw me across the room.  At that moment, I realized I no longer had the threat of force in my favor.  lol

2013-09-14 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My son is 9.
His daily chores are:
Make his bed
Feed the fish and the cats no later than 7:30am
Clear and wipe the table
Keep his room neat
Do his morning exercises (3 sets if push-ups, three sets of planks)
At least 35 minutes of reading/day
2013-09-14 9:39 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
We give my oldest, 7, money per chore. So he gets $.25 for making his bed, and $.25 for feeding the dogs, etc. We then have a dry erase board where we check it off. He can do as much or as little as he wants. It works well when he has something he is aiming to buy, like Minecraft. But gets off the rails if he doesn't need anything. Our 5 year olds do chores for stickers. After 20 stickers they get a prize like a frosty or something.

2013-09-15 5:02 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Master
Beijing

We have a chore chart that lists 2 chores per child per day.  They must complete one of them. (so, they get a little bit of control over their destiny.)

They are each allowed 20 minutes of "screen time" a night, at 7PM.  If they have not completed their chore by 7PM, they don't get screen time that day.  (The 4 year old gets a reminder, but the 7 and 9 yo don't

Their allowance gets pro-rated by the chores they didn't do.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need ideas for kid chores and incentives Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ideas for mentoring younger kids

Started by grbfrog
Views: 4278 Posts: 19

2010-12-06 4:06 PM McFuzz

Kids and allowance for chores

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 1077 Posts: 23

2010-03-22 11:03 AM Sharyn5

xmas ideas for the kids

Started by autumn
Views: 625 Posts: 8

2006-11-25 11:53 PM Lara

Need Halloween costume Ideas Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Dirty Diggs
Views: 2140 Posts: 54

2005-10-28 12:52 PM courtney_leone

Vaction in Key West- need ideas!

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 731 Posts: 9

2007-01-31 6:41 PM hundoracer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : July 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How safe is it for children to participate in triathlons and other endurance events? Here are the opinions of several experts in the field.
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?