Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's your special talent, Breakfast Club style? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-09-14 7:31 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: What's your special talent, Breakfast Club style?
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by bootygirl I can sing Jesus Christ Super Star - The Rock Opera from the start of the overture to the end.

Yep, we had the 8 track and would love to do a duet with you.

. Awesome. Any time!

2013-09-14 9:25 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
1. I can hardboil and poach an egg perfectly. I don't eat them, but my wife has me do it because she can't get the yokes to be gelatinous.

2. I am really funny when I don't try to be, and I am downright not when I try.

3. I can bunny-hop a bicycle <---- not too special on a tri website.
2013-09-14 11:53 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

OK, like Salty, I'm trying to see how disparate I can make my three points:

1) I bake by feel--pie crusts, pizza dough, bread, cookies, quickbreads--handfulls and pinches style, and in the winter I cook that stuff in an Amish wood cookstove.

2) I've read the Iliad and the Odyssey in the original Attic Greek, though each one took a year.

3) I was taught self-hypnosis as a kid, and use it regularly as an adult--learning a new technique in something, public speaking, training/competing, child birth etc.

Woah. Like woah! Read to me in Greek before bed? Pullllease?
2013-09-15 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by kevin_trapp I am jealous of some people's talents. About all I can do is solve a Rubik's cube. And completely misunderstand what my wife is thinking/feeling 100% of the time.

Did you learn the Rubik's Cube thing by reading the book, or did you just figure it out.  I actually tried to learn how to do this, and, again, didn't have the patience.  (uh oh, I see a trend)

100% misunderstanding is also pretty impressive.  I certainly have days (weeks?) when I do that with my husband and they suck.  Sorry man :/

For the Rubik's cube, it was learned from the internet. There's no way I could have figured it out by myself, and it's definitely easier for someone to learn than you'd think. But with the 100% misunderstanding, well I pretty much assume my wife is always horny like me. Sadly, I'm wrong more often then not . Maybe I'm projecting.
2013-09-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Originally posted by kevin_trapp I am jealous of some people's talents. About all I can do is solve a Rubik's cube. And completely misunderstand what my wife is thinking/feeling 100% of the time.

Did you learn the Rubik's Cube thing by reading the book, or did you just figure it out.  I actually tried to learn how to do this, and, again, didn't have the patience.  (uh oh, I see a trend)

100% misunderstanding is also pretty impressive.  I certainly have days (weeks?) when I do that with my husband and they suck.  Sorry man :/

For the Rubik's cube, it was learned from the internet. There's no way I could have figured it out by myself, and it's definitely easier for someone to learn than you'd think. But with the 100% misunderstanding, well I pretty much assume my wife is always horny like me. Sadly, I'm wrong more often then not . Maybe I'm projecting.
Lol, now you've lost me...I have no idea what you're talking about
2013-09-15 10:49 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

OK, like Salty, I'm trying to see how disparate I can make my three points:

1) I bake by feel--pie crusts, pizza dough, bread, cookies, quickbreads--handfulls and pinches style, and in the winter I cook that stuff in an Amish wood cookstove.

2) I've read the Iliad and the Odyssey in the original Attic Greek, though each one took a year.

3) I was taught self-hypnosis as a kid, and use it regularly as an adult--learning a new technique in something, public speaking, training/competing, child birth etc.

Woah. Like woah! Read to me in Greek before bed? Pullllease?
Of course, but I'll change every "swift-footed Achilles" to "swift-footed Adrienne."

2013-09-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean1. I can hardboil and poach an egg perfectly. I don't eat them, but my wife has me do it because she can't get the yokes to be gelatinous.2. I am really funny when I don't try to be, and I am downright not when I try.3. I can bunny-hop a bicycle <---- not too special on a tri website.
Great list. I can bunny hop a mb, but I've never tried a road or tri bike. There was a thread in the tri forum a few weeks ago about the dangers of water bottles and front tires that has made me want to learn. Sounds like a critical special talent if you want to race.
2013-09-15 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I can make an excellent pizza

I can tie a knot thru a straw................

I am excellent at arthroscopy.  Really I say everyone has a gift and that one is mine.  I'm really good at arthroscopy but is goes with the tying a knot thru a straw thing

Funny story.  I am a sports trained orthopedist.  When I say I can tie a knot thru a straw we pass sutures thru cannulas (straws) into the joint and then pass the suture thru tissue then tie a knot and we watch on a TV monitor.  So I was doing a case and the sutures were passed and I thru the knot and pass the suture thru the cannula and it comes onto the screen and pulls the tissue over and the student scrub tech in the room says really loud "DAMN girl you got SKILLS!"  It was hysterical everyone broke out laughing

2013-09-15 6:02 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Socks

I am excellent at arthroscopy.  Really I say everyone has a gift and that one is mine.  I'm really good at arthroscopy but is goes with the tying a knot thru a straw thing :)

Funny story.  I am a sports trained orthopedist.  When I say I can tie a knot thru a straw we pass sutures thru cannulas (straws) into the joint and then pass the suture thru tissue then tie a knot and we watch on a TV monitor.  So I was doing a case and the sutures were passed and I thru the knot and pass the suture thru the cannula and it comes onto the screen and pulls the tissue over and the student scrub tech in the room says really loud "DAMN girl you got SKILLS!"  It was hysterical everyone broke out laughing

That is awesome :)  I work for a congenital heart surgeon and have witnessed this knot in a straw thing--mad skillz indeed.  I'm always impressed with women orthopods.  My impression is that it can be a very tough road.  Kudos. 
2013-09-15 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Ugh, drunk BT posting. Sorry about that.
2013-09-15 7:18 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Ugh, drunk BT posting. Sorry about that.
Bwahahaha! No apologies--drunk BT posts are some of my favorites

2013-09-15 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I am excellent at arthroscopy.  Really I say everyone has a gift and that one is mine.  I'm really good at arthroscopy but is goes with the tying a knot thru a straw thing

That is awesome   I work for a congenital heart surgeon and have witnessed this knot in a straw thing--mad skillz indeed.  I'm always impressed with women orthopods.  My impression is that it can be a very tough road.  Kudos. 

WHOA.  I thought you had to go to school for that!  Never heard of someone being born with it.

2013-09-15 7:32 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14

That is awesome   I work for a congenital heart surgeon and have witnessed this knot in a straw thing--mad skillz indeed.  I'm always impressed with women orthopods.  My impression is that it can be a very tough road.  Kudos. 

WHOA.  I thought you had to go to school for that!  Never heard of someone being born with it.

You so funny--now post up punk! I know you've got some...
2013-09-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by bootygirl

Originally posted by bootygirl I can sing Jesus Christ Super Star - The Rock Opera from the start of the overture to the end.

. Awesome. Any time!

I would like to try out for the part of Pontius Pilate.   (My friend wants to start a "Pontius Pilates" class.  It's like regular Pilates, except you wash your hands when you're done.)

My "special skill" is that I can learn almost any activity to proficiency almost instantly and without being taught... but I don't have the patience to master any skill.

For instance, with most instruments I can sit down and be playing a song within an hour.... but even after years of practice it would still sound like a beginner.

I can also fix almost anything.

Edited by moondawg14 2013-09-15 7:38 PM
2013-09-15 8:25 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I am lurking...but can't think of anything that is a "special" talent. I found out, recently, that I make really cute babies that have lots of hair...

Baby 'Hawk 

And when I asked my hubby whether I had any special talents, he didn't respond...but got a really big grin on his face. I guess that's up to interpretation. Innocent

2013-09-15 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

. Awesome. Any time!

I would like to try out for the part of Pontius Pilate.   (My friend wants to start a "Pontius Pilates" class.  It's like regular Pilates, except you wash your hands when you're done.)

My "special skill" is that I can learn almost any activity to proficiency almost instantly and without being taught... but I don't have the patience to master any skill.

For instance, with most instruments I can sit down and be playing a song within an hour.... but even after years of practice it would still sound like a beginner.

So you're good with your hands?

2013-09-15 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

. Awesome. Any time!

I've never had any complaints.

2013-09-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by lkct01234

I am lurking...but can't think of anything that is a "special" talent. I found out, recently, that I make really cute babies that have lots of hair...

Baby 'Hawk 

And when I asked my hubby whether I had any special talents, he didn't respond...but got a really big grin on his face. I guess that's up to interpretation. Innocent

That is a rockin head o hair.  How you doing Mommy?  Are you getting any sleep?

You guys are at five weeks post?  Is that about right?

Two thumbs up to your special talent, btw.  Just remember--you could be very fertile right now :)

2013-09-15 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

. Awesome. Any time!

No complaints?  Bwahaha, well, ok.

Is there something you've tried to fix and you couldn't?

2013-09-15 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

. Awesome. Any time!

Oh, sure.  Electronic things with tiny surface-mount parts.  Or metal or plastic parts that require casting and/or molding to really get them fixed.  Usually, in that case, it's better just to buy a new one because the thing itself is just too cheap to worry about fixing. 

The internet has really been a great way to find parts for things.  I grew up in the sort of "transition time" between the "fix it" and the "throw-away and buy new" generations.   Things were still made with fairly common parts, but you could hardly ever order them, even from the manufacturer. 

Now, we're squarely in the "throw it away and buy new" generation.  BUT, because of the internet, the people who make all of the little pieces and parts can sell them directly on a website.  OR, you can go find a website that has surplus of standard parts.   So, if you break some damn little gear or plastic part, there's a good chance you can find it on the interwebs and get a new one.  I've had our Wii apart several times to replace the DVD drive and the internal fan. (it needs another new fan right now)  They use a tamper-resistant tri-wing screw in several places but guess what? You can find the screwdriver on the internet!

A little proficiency with a screwdriver (and a good memory for where all the little different screws go) can really go a long way these days.   A good rule of thumb is:  If it's bigger than a breadbox, I can probably fix it.

Edited by moondawg14 2013-09-15 9:02 PM
2013-09-15 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

. Awesome. Any time!

Oh, sure.  Electronic things with tiny surface-mount parts.  Or metal or plastic parts that require casting and/or molding to really get them fixed.  Usually, in that case, it's better just to buy a new one because the thing itself is just too cheap to worry about fixing. 

The internet has really been a great way to find parts for things.  I grew up in the sort of "transition time" between the "fix it" and the "throw-away and buy new" generations.   Things were still made with fairly common parts, but you could hardly ever order them, even from the manufacturer. 

Now, we're squarely in the "throw it away and buy new" generation.  BUT, because of the internet, the people who make all of the little pieces and parts can sell them directly on a website.  OR, you can go find a website that has surplus of standard parts.   So, if you break some damn little gear or plastic part, there's a good chance you can find it on the interwebs and get a new one.  I've had our Wii apart several times to replace the DVD drive and the internal fan. (it needs another new fan right now)  They use a tamper-resistant tri-wing screw in several places but guess what? You can find the screwdriver on the internet!

A little proficiency with a screwdriver (and a good memory for where all the little different screws go) can really go a long way these days.   A good rule of thumb is:  If it's bigger than a breadbox, I can probably fix it.

I think that's a really cool special talent to have, and one I'm pretty jealous of as I can't fix a damn thing.  Actually, I would really just like to learn wrenching skillz for my bike.  I would be pretty happy to hold there.  It's on my to-do list...

How'd you learn how to fix stuff?  Why do you have the patience for that? 

2013-09-15 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Two thumbs up to your special talent, btw.  Just remember--you could be very fertile right now

Baby is doing well...mom & dad are easily irritable and quite tired :-) 5 weeks today, indeed!

DT/hubby is quite tolerant of me (could be his special talent!) but we've both decided that neither of us want me to be pregnant again! :-)

2013-09-15 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I think that's a really cool special talent to have, and one I'm pretty jealous of as I can't fix a damn thing.  Actually, I would really just like to learn wrenching skillz for my bike.  I would be pretty happy to hold there.  It's on my to-do list...

When something is broken, take it apart.    Seriously.  Do not EVER throw something away before taking it apart.  I've been doing this since I was eight.

Get it all the way down to all of its little pieces.   Make sure every screw is out.  Make sure every connector is unplugged.  Gears come off of shafts, etc.  This rarely-if-ever takes more than 10 minutes. 

Now, if you can't figure out why it was broken, put it back together and throw it away.  Better yet... put all of the similar non-broken pieces in little containers in the garage.  Screws.  Motors. Gears. Wires.  all in little containers.

Next time something breaks... do the same thing.  Many times, you see something broken and say: "Hey, I have one of those in the garage!   Sometimes it fits, sometimes it don't. You're learning how things are assembled, what they use to assemble them, how they make parts move, etc.

I admit that I had a huge "leg up" in that I had a grandfather that had already been taking stuff apart for 50 years before I got old enough to take stuff apart.  How much stuff?   A two-car garage that could not fit any cars.  one 20foot section of wall, from floor to ceiling, with 50 years of Maxwell House coffee cans full to the brim and labelled with things like "3/8 bolts"  "1/4-20 nuts"  etc.    Lathes? 3 of them.  A milling machine.  Drill press.  etc.

So, even if *I* couldn't fix things, I had a good resource who probably could. 

I have the patience to fix stuff because I'm a huge tight-wad, or rather, I like to spend on things that are a good value, even if they're expensive.   Also, I can't stand paying someone to do something that I can do.   And I hate it when something that I've bought breaks.  I don't want to buy another one.  So I always try to fix it.  

With "hobbies" I don't have any real drive to be good at it, I just want to learn it.  I like the learning better than the doing, usually.

For your bike, when something breaks, by God, take it apart!  Your bike mechanic will almost always be able to fix it.  If you take something to your bike mechanic and he gives you gruff for taking something apart, find a new one.   A good mechanic will ALWAYS understand when someone wants to figure out how something works... because good mechanics feel the same way!

I bent the "downshift" lever on my X9 mountain bike shifter.   Rather than buy a new one, I took it apart.   I put the lever in the vise and bent it back mostly into shape.   Then, I figured out how the shifter worked, and put it back together.   Took me about an hour, AND I learned how the shifter worked.  REALLY cool design, internally.  And I saved a few bucks over a new shifter.

Start with little projects.  Change the oil in your truck.  Once you figure out how to do easy things, the hard things seem more possible.

Edited by moondawg14 2013-09-15 9:26 PM
2013-09-15 9:35 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Two thumbs up to your special talent, btw.  Just remember--you could be very fertile right now :)

Baby is doing well...mom & dad are easily irritable and quite tired :-) 5 weeks today, indeed!

DT/hubby is quite tolerant of me (could be his special talent!) but we've both decided that neither of us want me to be pregnant again! :-)

Oh, I so do feel your pain, sister, and it is truly painful.  I feel like the 5-7 week mark was the nadir of sleep.  Hoping for you it will be on the upswing soon.  Hugs:)

2013-09-15 9:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

When something is broken, take it apart.    Seriously.  Do not EVER throw something away before taking it apart.  I've been doing this since I was eight.

Get it all the way down to all of its little pieces.   Make sure every screw is out.  Make sure every connector is unplugged.  Gears come off of shafts, etc.  This rarely-if-ever takes more than 10 minutes. 

Now, if you can't figure out why it was broken, put it back together and throw it away.  Better yet... put all of the similar non-broken pieces in little containers in the garage.  Screws.  Motors. Gears. Wires.  all in little containers.

Next time something breaks... do the same thing.  Many times, you see something broken and say: "Hey, I have one of those in the garage!   Sometimes it fits, sometimes it don't. You're learning how things are assembled, what they use to assemble them, how they make parts move, etc.

I admit that I had a huge "leg up" in that I had a grandfather that had already been taking stuff apart for 50 years before I got old enough to take stuff apart.  How much stuff?   A two-car garage that could not fit any cars.  one 20foot section of wall, from floor to ceiling, with 50 years of Maxwell House coffee cans full to the brim and labelled with things like "3/8 bolts"  "1/4-20 nuts"  etc.    Lathes? 3 of them.  A milling machine.  Drill press.  etc.

So, even if *I* couldn't fix things, I had a good resource who probably could. 

I have the patience to fix stuff because I'm a huge tight-wad, or rather, I like to spend on things that are a good value, even if they're expensive.   Also, I can't stand paying someone to do something that I can do.   And I hate it when something that I've bought breaks.  I don't want to buy another one.  So I always try to fix it.  

With "hobbies" I don't have any real drive to be good at it, I just want to learn it.  I like the learning better than the doing, usually.

For your bike, when something breaks, by God, take it apart!  Your bike mechanic will almost always be able to fix it.  If you take something to your bike mechanic and he gives you gruff for taking something apart, find a new one.   A good mechanic will ALWAYS understand when someone wants to figure out how something works... because good mechanics feel the same way!

I bent the "downshift" lever on my X9 mountain bike shifter.   Rather than buy a new one, I took it apart.   I put the lever in the vise and bent it back mostly into shape.   Then, I figured out how the shifter worked, and put it back together.   Took me about an hour, AND I learned how the shifter worked.  REALLY cool design, internally.  And I saved a few bucks over a new shifter.

Start with little projects.  Change the oil in your truck.  Once you figure out how to do easy things, the hard things seem more possible.

THIS IS AWESOME.

We should all be so lucky to have a grandfather like that. 

OK, I'm doing it.  I think I may even print this out and tape it to my wall or something. 

Thanks Ryan.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's your special talent, Breakfast Club style? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Breakfast Club Cast

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 810 Posts: 10

2009-07-03 4:46 PM Jimi

What's for breakfast.??

Started by Sharkie
Views: 434 Posts: 11

2007-09-29 6:49 PM Zilla

Breakfast Club

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 795 Posts: 9

2006-06-01 7:26 AM run4yrlif

what's your workout style?

Started by autumn
Views: 628 Posts: 10

2006-03-20 9:48 PM courtney_leone

Obscure Talent? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by southernaquagoddess
Views: 3478 Posts: 71

2005-07-14 11:08 AM Celeb_ithil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : January 28, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on the number of meals to eat, carbo loading, good carbs and breakfast, peanut butter and whey protein.
date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.

date : September 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 2
A special tribute to a very special BT'er. We miss you. Thanks for continuing to inspire us.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.