General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on Scottsdale Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-13 4:16 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: School me on Scottsdale

I'm entertaining the a tri-related job opportunity in Scottsdale. 

What's it like there?

Can I live remotely near Scottsdale for a reasonable price? My current tiny 1br with a walled yard for the dog runs me $600/mo in Tucson. From a quick search, Scottsdale is pricey. Long commutes make me unhappy.

Do people my age (28) live there?

Is there a potentially better place for me to live nearby?

2013-09-13 6:29 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

New user
Subject: RE: School me on Scottsdale
It depends where in Scottsdale you will be working but I live in Phoenix and am close enough that I can bike into Scottsdale very easily(5 miles to Tribe Multisport). My rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.
2013-09-13 7:05 PM
in reply to: skankey

User image

Elite
the desert
Definitely depends what part of Scottsdale you want to live as far as price. 28 year olds definitely live there, but there also parts of Phoenix and Tempe that are affordable and likely fit what you want or are looking for.For that pricing or similar, you won't find much in north Scottsdale.
2013-09-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: Fitzy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Fitzy Definitely depends what part of Scottsdale you want to live as far as price. 28 year olds definitely live there, but there also parts of Phoenix and Tempe that are affordable and likely fit what you want or are looking for.For that pricing or similar, you won't find much in north Scottsdale.

What parts of Phoenix or Tempe might be worth looking at, that won't give me the worst commute ever?

2013-09-16 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Fitzy Definitely depends what part of Scottsdale you want to live as far as price. 28 year olds definitely live there, but there also parts of Phoenix and Tempe that are affordable and likely fit what you want or are looking for.For that pricing or similar, you won't find much in north Scottsdale.

What parts of Phoenix or Tempe might be worth looking at, that won't give me the worst commute ever?

Hey Elaine.  What part of town is your job in as that will really dictate suggested areas for living?  There are a lot of expensive options in Scottsdale but there are also quite a few reasonable places as well.  However, if you're looking N. Scottsdale it becomes a bit more challenging.  I live in Old Town (yes, there are a LOT of people your age) and work in N. Scotts and it's still a pretty simple 40 minute bike commute into the office.  

2013-09-16 12:43 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro
Originally posted by thebigb

Hey Elaine.  What part of town is your job in as that will really dictate suggested areas for living?  There are a lot of expensive options in Scottsdale but there are also quite a few reasonable places as well.  However, if you're looking N. Scottsdale it becomes a bit more challenging.  I live in Old Town (yes, there are a LOT of people your age) and work in N. Scotts and it's still a pretty simple 40 minute bike commute into the office.  

It's in North Scottsdale. Haven't gotten the offer yet... just exploring options so I've got more data to work with

2013-09-16 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

It's in North Scottsdale. Haven't gotten the offer yet... just exploring options so I've got more data to work with

N. Scotts is going to be pricey, especially anything with a yard for a pup.  Might be some options in N. Phoenix area just off the 101 but I'd stop short of the I17.  North Tempe into the Old Town area will probably be the best bet and would get you into N. Scotts in roughly 20-30 mins via car.  

2013-09-16 2:24 PM

User image

New user

I'd recommend an apartment search site, such as www.apartmentguide.com, etc. for starters. I live in N Scottsdale and you can get nice, no-frills apartments in the $700/month range, all the way up to fancy apartments with lots of community amenities for $2000+/month. It really depends on what you're looking for. Even a quick search though on the site I listed produced lots of results.
2013-09-16 2:39 PM

User image

Just an idea, this is N Scottsdale for $800.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20100-N-78th-Pl-APT-2106-Scottsda...

Didn't see a yard for pup but there may be others with small yards.

Good luck! Any questions just post em. Lived here for 12 years.
2013-09-16 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

N. Scotts is going to be pricey, especially anything with a yard for a pup.  Might be some options in N. Phoenix area just off the 101 but I'd stop short of the I17.  North Tempe into the Old Town area will probably be the best bet and would get you into N. Scotts in roughly 20-30 mins via car.  

Depends on how north in north scottsdale. If the job is up by Princess blvd, Cactus or any where there, then Tempe by any commute would be 45+ minutes, or worse depending on time of day and traffic.

John
2013-09-16 4:12 PM
in reply to: razman9

User image

Pro

Originally posted by razman9 I'd recommend an apartment search site, such as www.apartmentguide.com, etc. for starters. I live in N Scottsdale and you can get nice, no-frills apartments in the $700/month range, all the way up to fancy apartments with lots of community amenities for $2000+/month. It really depends on what you're looking for. Even a quick search though on the site I listed produced lots of results.

I struggle with corporate apartments and a large dog. He's got bad hips, so a yard is nearly essential. I can't run him much, and he needs to run/play/move at his own pace most of the time.

2013-09-16 4:15 PM

User image

Pro

It's right off 101.

20-30 min is a doable commute.

Thanks for the info

2013-09-16 11:37 PM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by tkd.teacher

Depends on how north in north scottsdale. If the job is up by Princess blvd, Cactus or any where there, then Tempe by any commute would be 45+ minutes, or worse depending on time of day and traffic. John

Granted it can certainly vary but I can be at the office which is FLW and Greenway from home (Indian School and Scottsdale) in a touch over 20 minutes.  I'll stand by N Tempe in 30 minutes unless you catch an off traffic day or you're buried deep inside Tempe and it takes you 10-15 mins just to hit the 101.  

I figured with the dog the typical stacked apartment living isn't going to work.  Not sure if it's an option but Old Town area has some decent dog park options and actually so does N. Scotts.  How big of a yard do you need for the pup?  

2013-09-18 11:06 AM

User image

Pro

Granted it can certainly vary but I can be at the office which is FLW and Greenway from home (Indian School and Scottsdale) in a touch over 20 minutes.  I'll stand by N Tempe in 30 minutes unless you catch an off traffic day or you're buried deep inside Tempe and it takes you 10-15 mins just to hit the 101.  

I figured with the dog the typical stacked apartment living isn't going to work.  Not sure if it's an option but Old Town area has some decent dog park options and actually so does N. Scotts.  How big of a yard do you need for the pup?  

Small yard. Bigger than a 10'x10' patio type thing in an apartment/condo complex... but he's done fine in small-ish townhome yards. Current yard is about 20'x40' and is plenty big enough.

Dog parks are a no go. He's become dog aggressive over the years. (please no lectures on training him - always seems to happen when I mention that fact!

2013-09-18 11:36 AM

User image

Note on traffic flow: driving north on 101 is heavily congested in the mornings. Driving south on 101 after 3:30pm is heavily congested. Commute varies a bit based on time of year but you were to live in N Tempe and commute to 101 and FLW in the mornings you would be guaranteed congestion. I drove 101 for a year before moving north.

Finding a reasonably priced town home with a yard in N Scottsdale will be challenging for about the next 8 months. We're coming into our busy season and rental prices are going up and will remain higher until next May when the snowbirds head out of town. Probably have a similar situation in Tucson.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on Scottsdale Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to Deal with Bandits! (Tour de Scottsdale)

Started by sportsjer
Views: 1418 Posts: 10

2009-03-10 6:13 PM Fitzy

The JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon (Formerly City of Chandler) : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by taegrr
Views: 3629 Posts: 34

2009-02-17 5:34 PM taegrr

Gym recommendations in Scottsdale?

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2009-01-01 8:59 PM muppetdog

Couple of questions - Doctor recommendations and training in Scottsdale

Started by runspingirl
Views: 904 Posts: 8

2008-09-10 4:13 PM runspingirl

Scottsdale Thanksgiving Day Tri/Du

Started by desertsix
Views: 972 Posts: 3

2005-11-06 9:49 PM sbrnaz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.