of 2

2013-09-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Crazy things seen DURiNG a race
If I dredged all my years of racing, I could come up with some real doozies like the seemingly identical soldiers lining the course of the Beijing Marathon for mile after mile, or the kindly old ladies who had set up an "aid station" and were trying to hand out homemade bread at about mile 22 of the California International Marathon years ago. But almost all are run-only races. Most of my tris are in Singapore, and things are pretty planned there. I can't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary, unless one counts the palm tree I swam into in one race after a tropical storm. Memories from the now-defunct Vietnam Tri include getting stuck behind a beer truck, someone burning garbage in a trash can right next to my spot in transition, a dead rat in the middle of the lane on a three-lap course, a house with an improbable white picket fence toward the end of the bike leg, and hiding under a lifeguard tower waiting for a BOP friend to finish when the threatening skies erupted into a full-on tropical storm.

In the US....I was really surprised when someone next to me in transition, for a sprint, parked a SUITCASE with her gear next to my bike.

2013-09-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Hot Runner

In the US....I was really surprised when someone next to me in transition, for a sprint, parked a SUITCASE with her gear next to my bike.

Funny you mention that.... My wife did her first tri a few weeks ago, a local small pool-swim time-trial deal. She brought her Vera Bradley travel bag to transition. Easy to find her spot to be sure. She is convinced that there is an untapped market in stylish transition bags. Not quie a suitcase, but close enough.

2013-09-15 8:15 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Funny you mention that.... My wife did her first tri a few weeks ago, a local small pool-swim time-trial deal. She brought her Vera Bradley travel bag to transition. Easy to find her spot to be sure. She is convinced that there is an untapped market in stylish transition bags. Not quie a suitcase, but close enough.

Good point. I bet a cool bag for transition would catch on quickly.
2013-09-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Jpro19
Originally posted by Hot Runner In the US....I was really surprised when someone next to me in transition, for a sprint, parked a SUITCASE with her gear next to my bike.

Good point. I bet a cool bag for transition would catch on quickly.

These are handmade and you can completely customize them:

http://www.frostyjunction.com/gallery

2013-09-15 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Bears at Whistler.
2013-09-15 9:02 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

"Retro-man" (can't remember his real name) used to race in New England about 10 years ago wearing cutoffs and Pro-Ked sneakers, riding a banana seat "spyder" bike. I passed him on the bike leg of a sprint in CT once. Someone told me he had done IMLP and made the bike time cutoff.

2013-09-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Veteran
My favorite was the guy with his Giro Advantage helmet on backwards at Beach 2 Battleship. My first thought was "Dang, these aero helmets have gotten so fancy they now point forward."

I also saw a guy at swim start with his wetsuit on backwards. Luckily he was told before we started so he could get it switched around.
2013-09-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

New user

I didn't personally see it, but a moose was spotted on the bike course at Pumpkinman (ME) last week. Kinda bummed out that I didn't see him.
2013-09-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: prince66

User image

Melon Presser

At the Honolulu Marathon (this is unusual for the U.S. and not at all for just about anywhere in Asia except maybe Singapore) runners would pull over, have a smoke break, then get back on course and just continue trotting away.

Ironman Japan was the only race where I've seen athletes walking their bikes DOWN a hill. Typhoon + low visibility + steep winding descents = walk your bike down the worst parts.

Now I wish I'd done that ...

2013-09-16 8:33 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Queen BTich
Did a sprint in Dallas years ago (2006?) and the guy next to me MOVED my stuff and then proceeded to get completely naked in T1.
2013-09-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4855976

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I have a couple from my years of racing... some good, some bad.

I got ran into by a person wearing headphone a few years back. "Couldn't hear you" despite yelling out on your left. Yeah, hate see headphone in races.

I got passed by a guy on a MTB in a race... I placed in my AG (with one of the fastest bike splits of the day) so I wasn't standing still... Turns out he was an ex-pro cyclist that borrowed a bike from a buddy to do the bike leg of a relay. Very impressive in hindsight but I was bummed during the race.

2013-09-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Pro
I've seen a lot of weird stuff in marathons over the years, but my favorite weird triathlon thing really made me laugh. We were running down some country road and standing there on the yellow line was a rooster, just standing there watching. Didn't cross the road either.
2013-09-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: prince66

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by prince66

I didn't personally see it, but a moose was spotted on the bike course at Pumpkinman (ME) last week. Kinda bummed out that I didn't see him.

Wow...I was there too and did not see it and did not hear about it until now. That would have been cool to see.

Saw a picture from a recent IM (forget which one) where a black bear was crossing the road the runners were on. The runners were going in both directions (out and back) and this bear is walking across the path...no one was really freaking out.
2013-09-16 8:57 AM

Regular
Toronto, ON

Suitcases and bags just don't have quite enough room for everything you might need.

I'd actually be OK with this as long as they were required to keep it with them on the bike leg.
2013-09-16 9:11 AM
in reply to: fishwallop

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Originally posted by fishwallop
Originally posted by Hot Runner In the US....I was really surprised when someone next to me in transition, for a sprint, parked a SUITCASE with her gear next to my bike.

Suitcases and bags just don't have quite enough room for everything you might need. I'd actually be OK with this as long as they were required to keep it with them on the bike leg.

Maybe he couldn't find a babysitter.

2013-09-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Watched a lady carry a step ladder into transition and set it up next to her bike. (A short 3 step one).

2013-09-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by Jpro19 That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.

ok im going to need another witness or pics to validate this

Lol. I'm exaggerating from an actual REAL situation where I was behind a guy during the bike, during a HIM, and I could see halfway hanging out of his tri top pocket was a sandwich. I laughed because my nutrition plan was clearly much different but I was craving a PB and J sandwich at that moment. Then I fabricated the story to get some attention. Then I got some attention and now I'm revealing the truth! Sorry it wasn't true...

In an Ironman, a sandwich is actually a pretty solid nutrition strategy for a lot of folks. If it were a sprint these "OMG A SAMMICH!" comments would make more sense. But in IM many people have tried and true nutrition that includes real food for race day. Real food like sandwiches, sweet potatoes, baby food, fruit, etc, are even suggested in most IM nutrition threads on this site when someone can't handle gels or sports drinks for long periods. Not that uncommon or shock-worthy.

2013-09-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by clemson05

I also saw a guy at swim start with his wetsuit on backwards. Luckily he was told before we started so he could get it switched around.

I have witnessed our very own Ron install his wetsuit backwards at Rev3 Knoxville in 2010
2013-09-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by Jpro19 That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.

ok im going to need another witness or pics to validate this

Lol. I'm exaggerating from an actual REAL situation where I was behind a guy during the bike, during a HIM, and I could see halfway hanging out of his tri top pocket was a sandwich. I laughed because my nutrition plan was clearly much different but I was craving a PB and J sandwich at that moment. Then I fabricated the story to get some attention. Then I got some attention and now I'm revealing the truth! Sorry it wasn't true...

In an Ironman, a sandwich is actually a pretty solid nutrition strategy for a lot of folks. If it were a sprint these "OMG A SAMMICH!" comments would make more sense. But in IM many people have tried and true nutrition that includes real food for race day. Real food like sandwiches, sweet potatoes, baby food, fruit, etc, are even suggested in most IM nutrition threads on this site when someone can't handle gels or sports drinks for long periods. Not that uncommon or shock-worthy.

I have a good friend who ONLY eat solid food when racing. She has her own recipe for power bars and it obviously works well for her as she just won her AG at Muskoka. I did see a Happy Meal get pulled out of a special needs bag at Lake Placid, that was funny.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy things seen DURiNG a race Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Craziest thing that's ever happened while training? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by blbriley
Views: 5346 Posts: 70

2010-06-01 5:11 PM McGuff

What is the Tri-craziest thing you've done?

Started by jwy3b
Views: 1808 Posts: 21

2010-02-08 2:49 PM rayd

Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 6519 Posts: 51

2009-02-28 10:33 PM jashac

Funniest thing you have seen in a race...?

Started by triOK
Views: 774 Posts: 6

2006-06-19 4:15 PM parrj

what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race

Started by awol
Views: 1685 Posts: 23

2005-08-18 12:04 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
On countless occasions, we have heard it from people. You swim how far? You have got to be crazy!