General Discussion Race Reports! » Bayfront Challenge – Homestead, Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bayfront Challenge – Homestead, Florida - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Homestead, Florida
United States
TriLife
78F / 26C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 14m 21s
Overall Rank = 2/22
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up approximately 3 hours before the race and I had my regular race day breakfast: 120 g of cereal with milk and Nesquick. Pack the car (I left everything ready the night before) and started driving to the venue.

I arrived to the venue and I started setting up transition (got second spot closest to the beginning of the rack. Nice!). I put air in the tires (115-120 psi), made sure that the wheels turn without touching the break (in one of my recent tris I discovered after the race that my break pad was touching the rim...) and laid out my running gear in the ground and my bike helmet and gloves in the aerobars.

I sipped a little bit of Gatorade and ready for the race!
Event warmup:

I swarm about 200 yards. It was a while since my last open water swim (probably more than 2 moths), so I wanted to make sure I didn't freak out when the race started.
Swim
  • 30m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was surprisingly swimming very straight, which made me reduce the number of times I had to sight.

However, I had an issue when swimming back to one of the tallow buoys. I was told by one of the lifeguards that I was swimming towards the wrong buoy and that I was going off course. I readjusted my swim and kept going, but it cost me an additional 100-150 yards.
What would you do differently?:

The fact that they didn't explain the course wasn't an excuse. I should've taken more time to learn it, which would have helped me to not swimming off course towards a wrong buoy.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Bad transition (if I include the first 45 second of the bike portion).

I the transition area I executed very well. I arrived without swimming cap and goggles and put my helmet on. As usual I had issues putting my gloves in, but this time I think it was due to the fact that they were wet as it rained during the swim.

However, I had problems getting up to speed. I couldn't get my feet in my bike shoes (I did a fly mount) and it took me some time to open the gel and drink it. All of these slowed my bike out exit.

I should have not opt for a fly mount. I didn't practice it in a long time and there was not mount/dismount line. Since I my rack was right by the bike out, I should've just put my bike shoes and run with the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 30s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt very good on the bike and this was probably my fastest bike split on an Olympic distance tri.

I always complained that I think I save too much on the bike and I wanted to go hard this time. I probably could've gone faster, but not much more this time, so I think I paced well. Also, it helped that a fast guy from the Sprint distance passed me right out of transition, so I used him as a reference point during the first loop. I wanted to keep him at ere distance. During the second loop, I was pacing myself against the second place guy. In the first measuring point I took he was 3:45 ahead of me and I reduced the time to 2:10 about 5 miles. At that time, I knew he didn't have much energy and that if I run well, I may pass him (the first guy was out of reach).

I turned and cornered very slow. I was scared of falling due to road conditions (wet and potholes/rough). That can be an excuse though, so I should practice turning and cornering more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Very well racking the bike, even though the guy next to me (Sprint distance) left his helmet on my bike spot. Good removing the helmet and gloves.

Very bad putting shoes on. Since it rained, the inner sole was wet and I had an issue getting my feet on the shoes.

Knowing where the run out was. There were no signs before the race and I assumed there will be there after transition closed. They were not there either when I was about to start the run and I wasn't sure where to go.
Run
  • 44m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

By far, my best run off the bike. I felt strong and running fast. I could've kept running for a little longer at the same pace, but I couldn't go faster. I have endurance, but I need to start working on speed (more intervals workouts).

Not much, very solid run.
Post race
Warm down:

Chill out by near the finish line. I drank water, pepsi diet, and ate a hamburger, half sandwich, and muffins. Awesome food!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course well enough (specially the swim and running legs).

Event comments:

Nice race in a great location. It was the first time they organized this race and you could tell, since they were running a little bit late and there was some confusion on the race course (big time on the run, nobody seemed to know where to run).

However, it has a lot of potential. The organizers were awesome and deal with their first time race pretty well. I am sure they will have everything nailed down on future races. I would repeat it.

Last updated: 2013-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:39 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/22
Performance: Average
Suit: Louis Garneau Pro Trisuit
Course: M shape course. I think the course distance was spot on, but it was kind of complicated as you had to remember what buoys you had to swim to. Basically, you went straight from shore to the first buoy (orange) and make a right to start swimming towards the second buoy. Once on the second buoy, make a right and swim back towards show until a yellow buoy (from the Sprint distance course). Make a left and swim towards another yellow buoy, then make a left and swim back out to an orange buoy. Make a right and swim towards another orange buoys and make a final right turn towards a yellow buoy (Sprint distance). As you can imagine, it wasn't an easy course, since when you were swimming back to shore looking for yellow buoys (they were small) there were too many and you were not sure which one you had to swim to. Also, nobody from the race organization explained the course. Another triathlete (who I think was also part of the organization) explained it to me 30 seconds before the start...
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:30 | 24.5 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Overall: 2/22
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: T shape course with a two loop for the Olympic distance. It could've been really really fast due to the minimal turns and corners, but the road wasn't in the best conditions (wet and rough). Also, there was a little bit of headwind in one are that forced us to slow down the pace.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:44:56 | 06.2 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 1/22
Performance: Good
Course: Extremely confusing and not enough signs. Also, the course was shorter than expected
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-15 2:29 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Bayfront Challenge – Homestead, Florida
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bayfront Challenge – Homestead, Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Active.com > Everglades Snowbird Century at Schnebly Redland's Winery | Homestead, FL, 33030 | Marc

Started by rdeclercq
Views: 903 Posts: 1

2009-03-29 10:09 PM rdeclercq

Homestead Run

Started by flashfire
Views: 413 Posts: 1

2006-10-03 4:23 AM flashfire

Homestead Days 10K

Started by jeff417
Views: 561 Posts: 1

2006-09-25 10:57 PM jeff417

"Navitri" at the Homestead

Started by UTTriman
Views: 1007 Posts: 4

2006-08-30 7:01 AM hangloose

"Navitri" at the Homestead

Started by brappleye3
Views: 809 Posts: 2

2006-08-28 3:00 PM UTTriman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"