Other Resources My Cup of Joe » OK, so now tell us about your fails and general lack of talent. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: OK, so now tell us about your fails and general lack of talent.
Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I have no rhythm. At all. As much as I love music I cannot dance or even fake it. And, in spite of gobs of money spent on music lessons, I still can't play guitar. I sing so badly that our Rabbi once asked if I would consider speaking the Hebrew rather than chanting it during the service.

Try the ukulele.  Some of the chords are only one finger.  You can play some simple songs in just a few minutes.  We took some on RAGBRAI this year and people had fun learning "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Wagon Wheel" in just a few minutes.  I was really sick of playing them and singing them, but others had a blast.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a wig and sing falsetto? Thanks man

2013-09-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This almost went in your Breakfast Club talent question, but it really is not anything I am proud of. I have the ability to embarrass my children, no matter where we are. While this has come in handy at times (my wife would tell the kids that either we leave or your dad starts talking), it really is more of a curse. My friggin' filter refuses to kick on when my kids are around.

And the ability to dance only kicks in when the steps are given in the song, or by someone in the front of the room. Line dancing, Electric slide, whatever that crap is, I can do it. Anything else and it gets ugly. Fast.

2013-09-16 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
We have lived in our current apartment for about 15 years. In the downstairs hallway, there are two light switches. One controls the light in the hallway, the other controls the light in the stairwell.

In spite of my efforts, and I've made many of them, I simply cannot make my brain remember which is which. Every time I have to turn the hallway light out, I'm essentially flipping a coin in my head and there's a 50/50 chance that I'll end flipping the switch for the stairwell light. Sometimes, when I get it wrong, I'll glance into my bedroom and see my wife looking at me with an expression somewhere between sympathy, befuddlement, and disappointment.

I'm the HR director for a company with hundreds of employees. I can remember names, hire dates, salaries, personnel issues, and all kinds of personal things about most of the associates who work here. But I cannot get this light switch thing down.

2013-09-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Oh, and flipping pancakes.

I'm a really good cook, in general. As far as pan skilz go, I can sautee vegetables without using a spatula to flip them. I can even flip soft-cooked fried eggs in a pan without using a spatula and without breaking them. It's very impressive, I can assure you.

But for some reason, I can't manage to turn pancakes without dropping them so they overlap with the one next to them, or splattering the wet batter, or otherwise damaging them in some way. It seems so simple to just pick it up, turn it over, and put it down right where it was, but I can't seem to get the hang of it.
2013-09-16 11:51 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I have no rhythm. At all. As much as I love music I cannot dance or even fake it. And, in spite of gobs of money spent on music lessons, I still can't play guitar. I sing so badly that our Rabbi once asked if I would consider speaking the Hebrew rather than chanting it during the service.

Try the ukulele.  Some of the chords are only one finger.  You can play some simple songs in just a few minutes.  We took some on RAGBRAI this year and people had fun learning "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Wagon Wheel" in just a few minutes.  I was really sick of playing them and singing them, but others had a blast.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a wig and sing falsetto? Thanks man

I wasn't thinking about Tiny Tim, but of the "IZ" version.  But, you might have dogs howling if you Tiny Tim's version.

2013-09-16 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Singing, I am amazed at my lack of talent sometimes.

I love signing, will really get into it, then if for some reason the music turns down below a level that drowns me out, it's a real shocker to hear how bad I am. 

Think of the worst audition for X-Factor you've ever heard, that's the kind of caterwauling I hear when my music's not loud enough to drown it out :-)

Still sing every chance I get!!!!

2013-09-16 12:30 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn We have lived in our current apartment for about 15 years. In the downstairs hallway, there are two light switches. One controls the light in the hallway, the other controls the light in the stairwell. In spite of my efforts, and I've made many of them, I simply cannot make my brain remember which is which. Every time I have to turn the hallway light out, I'm essentially flipping a coin in my head and there's a 50/50 chance that I'll end flipping the switch for the stairwell light.

Reminds me of this...

(USB port.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
USB port.jpg (19KB - 8 downloads)
2013-09-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Calgary, AB

For me -- building a fire.  

I did scouts and everything -- but even if you give me dry matches, dry kindling, newspaper and a well constructed fire pit or fireplace -- guaranteed it will roar for 1 minute and be back down to embers within 5.  Every time.

2013-09-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Conversation, especially small talk. I'm perfectly happy to sit quiet and let others dominate the talking. 
2013-09-16 1:23 PM

User image

Bronze member

Add meal planning to my list. I completely stink at it. I get a cooking magazine every month. I flip through the pages then stick it on the shelf never to be opened again. I don't know what my problem is because I hate that point in the evening when I realize everyone is going to be hungry and I don't know what the heck to feed them!

2013-09-16 1:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm really bad at finding things. I don't know what it is but I will lose my keys or something and just don't have the attention span to REALLY look for it. I even find myself, like, going through the motions ... moving things, lifting things to look underneath but my brain is not actually really "looking." Kind of like when you skim the pages of a book without actually reading?

I'm also pretty terrible at basketball. 

My spelling and grammar could use some help, too.

I'm sure the list could go on and on.

Did your parents find your missing things for you growing up? I only ask because this is my son. He will lose his Nintendo DS in his bed every month. I say, go look in your bed. Of course he always tells me he did but it's not there then I go really look and there it is. I have been thinking of standing there with him when he is missing something and actually giving him step by step instructions on how to look.

2013-09-16 3:16 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Probably another one for forgetting names.

However, I realize it's all on me.  I think people that forget names use that as an excuse to not try to remember them, which makes it harder.  I know I'm like "I won't remember so I won't even make the effort".

HOWEVER, it depends on who it is.  If it's a hot girl?  For some reason I can remember THAT name.

2013-09-16 3:21 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by trigal38

I'm really bad at finding things. I don't know what it is but I will lose my keys or something and just don't have the attention span to REALLY look for it. I even find myself, like, going through the motions ... moving things, lifting things to look underneath but my brain is not actually really "looking." Kind of like when you skim the pages of a book without actually reading?

Did your parents find your missing things for you growing up? I only ask because this is my son. He will lose his Nintendo DS in his bed every month. I say, go look in your bed. Of course he always tells me he did but it's not there then I go really look and there it is. I have been thinking of standing there with him when he is missing something and actually giving him step by step instructions on how to look.

Hmmm that is a good question. I don't remember them finding my stuff for me. I feel like this is adult-onset lol! But luckily my partner finds everything for me now.

It'll go something like this-

Me: I can't find my badge

J: Did you look in the drawer?

Me: yes

J: No, I mean did you actually look or did you just rustle papers and pens around and pretend to look?

Me: Hmmm, I think I looked

Then of course she goes and finds it in like, 2 seconds.

2013-09-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Kido

However, I realize it's all on me.  I think people that forget names use that as an excuse to not try to remember them, which makes it harder.  I know I'm like "I won't remember so I won't even make the effort".

HOWEVER, it depends on who it is.  If it's a hot girl?  For some reason I can remember THAT name.

Yeah, I am terrible with names as well and it doesn't matter if they are hot or not. I do not discriminate.

This is actually something that I am really working on. I think it's terrible and a little insulting when I forget people's names.

I'm about to try the house bunny approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26C7gwExYhI

2013-09-16 3:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by trigal38

My wife is like that.  She will be looking for a pot or ingredient in the pantry or fridge after I tell her where it is and then say she can't see it.

I typically have to get off the couch and go in there and maybe move ONE THING or glance behind a box/carton of milk and its right there.

I often say that "looking" is not just open the fridge/pantry door and glance in and if it doesn't jump out and land in your hand saying you can't find it.

There are several stories I could tell where she "hid" things so well that she hid them from herself.

I have also learned NEVER just put things down in odd places and say "I wont forget that I put them there" - cuz I will.  I will make the effort to go inside and put car keys in the proper place rather than stick them on a shelf in the garage as I get groceries.  OR leave that coffee mug on the roof of the car as I fumble for something.  I'll realize it's there once I hear the clunking and a sheet of coffee running down the windshield.

2013-09-16 3:27 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Comet Frying eggs.

I can scramble them. I can cook elaborate dinners. I can't fry them.

I found the secret just a year ago.  Lower heat and a lid is your friend.  It doesn't burn and putting a lid on the pan as soon as you drop it in let's the top cook just enough so it's not runny but the yolk is.  Perfection.  No need to flip.

2013-09-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by Kido

Yeah, I am terrible with names as well and it doesn't matter if they are hot or not. I do not discriminate.

This is actually something that I am really working on. I think it's terrible and a little insulting when I forget people's names.

I'm about to try the house bunny approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26C7gwExYhI

There was a show called Brain Games and a memory expert was able to introduce himself to something like 30 people at the beginning of a movie then greet them after a movie BY NAME and didn't get a single one wrong.

He gave some cool trick that I thought I could employ.

2013-09-16 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

We have lived in our current apartment for about 15 years. In the downstairs hallway, there are two light switches. One controls the light in the hallway, the other controls the light in the stairwell.

In spite of my efforts, and I've made many of them, I simply cannot make my brain remember which is which. Every time I have to turn the hallway light out, I'm essentially flipping a coin in my head and there's a 50/50 chance that I'll end flipping the switch for the stairwell light. Sometimes, when I get it wrong, I'll glance into my bedroom and see my wife looking at me with an expression somewhere between sympathy, befuddlement, and disappointment.

I'm the HR director for a company with hundreds of employees. I can remember names, hire dates, salaries, personnel issues, and all kinds of personal things about most of the associates who work here. But I cannot get this light switch thing down.

There are a small hand full of switches in my house that I am not sure what they do at all. We've lived there 8 years.
2013-09-16 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn We have lived in our current apartment for about 15 years. In the downstairs hallway, there are two light switches. One controls the light in the hallway, the other controls the light in the stairwell. In spite of my efforts, and I've made many of them, I simply cannot make my brain remember which is which. Every time I have to turn the hallway light out, I'm essentially flipping a coin in my head and there's a 50/50 chance that I'll end flipping the switch for the stairwell light. Sometimes, when I get it wrong, I'll glance into my bedroom and see my wife looking at me with an expression somewhere between sympathy, befuddlement, and disappointment. I'm the HR director for a company with hundreds of employees. I can remember names, hire dates, salaries, personnel issues, and all kinds of personal things about most of the associates who work here. But I cannot get this light switch thing down.

I had this problem with a set of three light switches by our back door. One for garage, one for the deck, one for the inside.

I finally figured out that the nice electrician made the right-most switch for the thing that was furthest to MY right when using it (the garage).  The middle one was closer (outside on the deck) and the left-most switch was for the light over my left shoulder.    It's so painfully obvious, but I was overthinking it.  Perhaps you can make a similar connection?

2013-09-16 3:52 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I cannot look like a normal human in an action photo.  I am always making a dumb face, pushing my chin down to create a double (or worse) chin, etc.   This makes getting a decent shot at a sporting even impossible! 
2013-09-16 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4856218

User image

Elite
Reno
Anything to do with horses. On my few exposures, I've been bitten and thrown. Now they just sense my fear - I avoid them.

2013-09-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

In pretty much any TV sport I'm unbelievably bad.

Football, I lack size and speed and my hands are too small to grip an NFL size ball properly to throw it. 

The last time I tried something baseball related, I went 1/10 in a batting cage on the little league machine.  And that 1 would have dribbled down the first base line.

Basketball... I can line up my shot, use perfect form as taught to me in 5th grade, and as the ball goes from my hand to the basket the hoop of the basket will shrink to just a hair smaller than the diameter of the ball.  It's uncanny.

I won't even mention golf. 

I can fight though.  I've trained in various martial arts since I was 19 years old.  I've done TaeKwonDo, Hapkido, Ju Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Kickboxing, Boxing, and a bit of Judo.  Which does no good because I'm 42, 5'3", and as non-confrontational as I can possibly be.  But I can fight.

Never has a skill been so unnecessary.   

2013-09-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by RussTKDWhich does no good because I'm 42, 5'3", and as non-confrontational as I can possibly be.  But I can fight.

Seems to me you've internalized the most important lesson of the martial arts -- not needing them.

2013-09-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by RussTKDWhich does no good because I'm 42, 5'3", and as non-confrontational as I can possibly be.  But I can fight.

Seems to me you've internalized the most important lesson of the martial arts -- not needing them.

No, I've just been kicked in the head by 5'11" bodybuilders one too many times and realized... It hurts. 

2013-09-17 1:48 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I am severely challenged whenever it comes to navigation, or really anything to do with maps, directions, trying to find my way ANYWHERE.

Google maps has saved my azz more times than I care to admit.

Navigation is not my strongest suit either, but more so on something like trail running than driving.

Teejay--your lack of scissor coordination made me have a flashback to pre-school.  My mom got a report card of sorts rating all my skills like getting along with others, coloring in the lines, using complete sentences, etc.  I got excellents in everything but scissor use which was a "needs improvement".  Why I remember that from age 5, I'm not sure.  I think I'm scarred for life Laughing

The biggest fail for me is any sport involving catching or throwing.  Hand-eye coordination....POOR.  Explains the scissor issues!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » OK, so now tell us about your fails and general lack of talent. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Twerk Fail Fail

Started by tuwood
Views: 947 Posts: 5

2013-09-11 10:51 AM cnsegura

Ok, people, tell me about Boston Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 2191 Posts: 69

2008-03-21 1:12 PM marmadaddy

Tell us about your coaches...

Started by Josh_Berman
Views: 761 Posts: 9

2007-06-17 9:50 AM Whizzzzz

"U.S. general: Iraqis botched it" ...

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 650 Posts: 17

2007-01-03 3:51 PM Scout7

tell us something we don't already know Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by autumn
Views: 4204 Posts: 125

2006-11-10 10:15 AM MomX3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!
date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).