General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No More Ironhead Races?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-16 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: No More Ironhead Races??
Have you guys seen IRP's post on Facebook? Jack's saying they're retiring the production business and getting into the consulting business. That totally sucks if they're not putting on races anymore. I do about 4 of his per year.

2013-09-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: No More Ironhead Races??
Looks like they've sold the racing to a couple of RD's they know and the Joe Pool Lake and other events will still be held.

twomarks
2013-09-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: twomarks

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
I've done TriWaco twice and it was extremely well run.  It is a popular race in Waco, so I am sure someone else will take it on.  All the best to Jack and his wife, they are great ambassadors for the sport.
2013-09-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
So no more IRP and Dallas Athletes is merging with Playtri.  Sad day for the DFW tri community.
2013-09-17 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

Agreed. More production companies the higher the bar is. Raced the metroplex a bunch of times and it was really a fun way to start the season for me.

Edited by sometimesitri 2013-09-17 10:14 PM
2013-09-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: dodgersmom

Austin Texas
I did a Dallas Athletes TrI last year and thought is was well run. How were the Playtri events ?

2013-09-18 1:10 PM
in reply to: poodleboy

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
playtri is expensive and less organized than i think it should be for as much as registration is. that said, i still race about 2-3 events of playtri's per year, so obviously i'm not that concerned about their prices.
and i guess they're restricted by the location, but i always feel their transition area is really cramped.
2013-09-18 3:19 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I read somewhere here that big jack is strict and i could have sworn the exact words is stern. I am having hard time believing when i read it because i made tons of inquiries about Prairieman this year. Big Jack answered all my inquiries courteously even though I am almost to the point of pestering him. I really want to have Prairieman to be my first HIM or atleast attend one.

Apparently i had an Oly a week before Prairieman my fellow mentorees advised me would not be a good idea to do the Prairieman. I am sad to see Prairieman go. I hope Big Jack will still have participation if Prairieman continues next year.
2013-09-19 7:23 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

DFW, Tejas
Ironhead races were poorly attended lately even though they were the cheapest in town. Read into that what you will. The fact that DA and Playtri merged leads one to think that race production is not profitable unless you have decent turnout. I suspect we will see out of town race directors fill the void if there is demand for it. Trifecta is an excellent new entrant and I hear Onurleft will be coming to town soon.
2013-09-30 10:39 AM

User image

I have talked to people in all 3 camps and they said jacks and his wife just want to concentrate on mentoring. The reason for the play tri and DA merger is playtri would rather not have to put on races and just concentrate on training. By merging they gain a couple of good DA coaches and DA can continue what I think they do best, which is race production. Good luck to all 3 organizations and I really hope it doesn't limit the tri races in the metroplex. Playtri said they will only be dropping a few races. not sure what will continue from jacks race schedule.
2013-10-01 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by strykergt

I read somewhere here that big jack is strict and i could have sworn the exact words is stern. I am having hard time believing when i read it because i made tons of inquiries about Prairieman this year. Big Jack answered all my inquiries courteously even though I am almost to the point of pestering him. I really want to have Prairieman to be my first HIM or atleast attend one.

Apparently i had an Oly a week before Prairieman my fellow mentorees advised me would not be a good idea to do the Prairieman. I am sad to see Prairieman go. I hope Big Jack will still have participation if Prairieman continues next year.

He is strict, stern, and he cares a lot. At least that is the sense I got both times I met him at Prairieman.

Why were you advised doing Prairieman was a bad idea?

2013-10-01 3:50 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Hugh in TX

Originally posted by strykergt

He is strict, stern, and he cares a lot. At least that is the sense I got both times I met him at Prairieman.

Why were you advised doing Prairieman was a bad idea?

I was advised against it because I just finished an Oly one week before Prairieman not enough time for recovery and warm up . I saw the post of the dude I was talking about in this link:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Still it's hard for me to believe. I can only imagine the pressure of executing a non-profit charitable event.

2013-10-22 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
I bought a computrainer from Jack and chatted with him on multiple occasions.
He is a super nice guy!

He is old-school and I think the reason that attendance dropped is due to lack of advertisement and the no-frills around the race.
But he and his wife are at an age where they should enjoy life more, they truly deserve it.

I have never done a Play-Tri event, but many DAR and the latter where always very fun.
2013-11-01 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by jjupiter100

playtri is expensive and less organized than i think it should be for as much as registration is. that said, i still race about 2-3 events of playtri's per year, so obviously i'm not that concerned about their prices.
and i guess they're restricted by the location, but i always feel their transition area is really cramped.

I think PlayTri is organized, but they are more expensive. Absolutely. I did the Oly distance at the PlayTri Festival this year, and was very disappointed at the lack of FOOD after the event. ALL they had were BBQ sandwichs. Nothing else. Not any fruit, bagels, NOTHING. I'm vegetarian. So there was nothing for me. Just seemed a bit chintzy to me.

2013-11-05 12:07 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Originally posted by KSH

I think PlayTri is organized, but they are more expensive. Absolutely. I did the Oly distance at the PlayTri Festival this year, and was very disappointed at the lack of FOOD after the event. ALL they had were BBQ sandwichs. Nothing else. Not any fruit, bagels, NOTHING. I'm vegetarian. So there was nothing for me. Just seemed a bit chintzy to me.

That race was not their best showing. The main thing that I was upset about was the distances of all 3 disciplines were WAY off. Horridly off. I hope they correct that part.
2013-11-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: Newtons1st

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Newtons1st

Originally posted by KSH

That race was not their best showing. The main thing that I was upset about was the distances of all 3 disciplines were WAY off. Horridly off. I hope they correct that part.

Yeah the run for the Oly was REALLY short!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No More Ironhead Races?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

'08 Ironhead race schedule

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 909 Posts: 5

2007-09-24 10:05 AM kproudfoot

Ironhead Sprint and Olympic races - Wetsuit ???

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 720 Posts: 7

2007-04-27 2:10 PM JeepFleeb

Ironhead differences

Started by TexOma
Views: 812 Posts: 8

2007-04-25 5:18 PM apw0397

Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 2178 Posts: 15

2006-07-13 2:48 PM emilyindallas

Ironhead Triple Tri Challenge

Started by SMUJD
Views: 847 Posts: 8

2006-03-01 6:37 PM Yellow_Dawg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!