General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing bike shoes - why did I wait this long? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-16 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Washing bike shoes - why did I wait this long?

I've been washing my running shoes in the clothes washing machine for years with great success.   Yesterday, I decided to try my bike shoes since they were so nasty it was either wash or toss.

I pried out a few pebbles from the sole, took off the cleats and screws, and folded the velcro strap onto itself.  I put them in the lingerie bag.  The idea was to provide a little cushion between the hard plastic bottoms an my machine.  I also tossed in two large pieces of scrap fabric, although junk towels would do. I think this helps with balance and noise.  I was less worried about ruining the shoes than ruining my nice washer. Although I reasoned I have saved hundreds of dollars over the years by not having to buy as many shoes.

They came out AWESOME!  I wish I had taken a before picture.    I did pre-treat the fabric and all but some of the orangey stuff on the inside ankle area came out (from sand, I suppose). 

Warm wash, cold rinse, Normal cycle. 

I also put on new cleats; they are like brand new.

Go forth and wash, my friends!

2013-09-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Washing bike shoes - why did I wait this long?

This would be a great reason for me to, somehow, acquire a lingerie bagWink

Do you know if this would work with an upright washing machine, or only a top loader?

Matt

2013-09-16 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I prefer my shoes soiled. The stench helps deter drafters.
2013-09-16 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I rinse my biking shoes out with sweat on all my long rides.
2013-09-17 5:30 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
If I washed my shoes, I absolutely know they would disintegrate. The 12 years of schmerm is what holds them together.

As for removing the cleats... I changed my cleats once, in 2006. I don't think they'd come off if I wanted them to. Shoes and cleats have become one organic unit. :D
2013-09-17 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4856649

I use the dishwasher, pot them on the top rack and let it rip, come out as good as new (obviously take the insoles out).

2013-09-17 6:12 AM

User image

I hand wash my insoles about every other month

I spray down my shoes with one of those orange cleaners about once a year.

I also use anti-monkey butt powder in the shoes after each ride and put them on a Peet's shoe dryer and actually allow them to dry out overnight before I wear them again. That last bit is essential to keeping them from being stinky.

2013-09-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

This would be a great reason for me to, somehow, acquire a lingerie bagWink

Do you know if this would work with an upright washing machine, or only a top loader?

Matt

Sorry, I completely forgot about this thread. I was too busy admiring my shoes...

I used a front loader.

2013-09-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by mmrocker13 If I washed my shoes, I absolutely know they would disintegrate. The 12 years of schmerm is what holds them together. As for removing the cleats... I changed my cleats once, in 2006. I don't think they'd come off if I wanted them to. Shoes and cleats have become one organic unit. :D

My cleats are plastic, so therefore must be replaced every once in a while.  I do not like having to buy them!

2013-09-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: djhuff7

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by djhuff7 I use the dishwasher, pot them on the top rack and let it rip, come out as good as new (obviously take the insoles out).

I tried this once, didn't have the same results.  It was one dishwasher ago, though, so it may work for me now.  But I like the clothes detergent smell better... 

2013-09-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by DanielG I hand wash my insoles about every other month I spray down my shoes with one of those orange cleaners about once a year. I also use anti-monkey butt powder in the shoes after each ride and put them on a Peet's shoe dryer and actually allow them to dry out overnight before I wear them again. That last bit is essential to keeping them from being stinky.

You can also put your insoles in the washer. I do this for my running and biking shoes, more regularly.   They aren't anything special, like orthodics, though.  Just what comes with the shoes.

2013-09-17 4:36 PM
in reply to: djhuff7

User image

Originally posted by djhuff7

I use the dishwasher, pot them on the top rack and let it rip, come out as good as new (obviously take the insoles out).

OK - so if you run them through the dishwasher are you able to leave the cleats on?

I love the idea of washing my shoes , I might be able to allow them back inside the house then rather than being banished to the garage!
2013-09-17 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
MA

I've been washing my bike shoes in my dishwasher for years.

Top shelf, inserts out, no dishes, yes use dish soap, no heat cycle, leave cleats on.

When done stuff newspaper, then put on a boot dryer something like this

Edited by KathyG 2013-09-17 5:57 PM
2013-09-17 7:43 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by slowbuthappy
Originally posted by djhuff7 I use the dishwasher, pot them on the top rack and let it rip, come out as good as new (obviously take the insoles out).
OK - so if you run them through the dishwasher are you able to leave the cleats on? I love the idea of washing my shoes , I might be able to allow them back inside the house then rather than being banished to the garage!

I would leave the cleats on in that case.  They are certainly water proof (I have amazing luck with rain on race day). The reason I took them off was 1) damage tumbling around the washer, 2) they needed to be replaced.

2013-09-18 5:49 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG

I've been washing my bike shoes in my dishwasher for years.

Top shelf, inserts out, no dishes, yes use dish soap, no heat cycle, leave cleats on.

When done stuff newspaper, then put on a boot dryer something like this

Yeah, but triathletes use two different types of shoe and both need dried, so...

2013-09-18 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have pressure washed my bike shoes! Works great.
Gleaming white again.

2013-09-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by mmrocker13 If I washed my shoes, I absolutely know they would disintegrate. The 12 years of schmerm is what holds them together. As for removing the cleats... I changed my cleats once, in 2006. I don't think they'd come off if I wanted them to. Shoes and cleats have become one organic unit. :D

The lingerie bag trick works great.  I planned to wash my shoes every time I saw my wife in lingerie when I bought my SIDIs a decade ago.  Glad I bought black shoes, because ten years of dirt barely shows.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing bike shoes - why did I wait this long? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Masters Swimming - why did I wait so long?

Started by twomarks
Views: 2149 Posts: 18

2012-09-05 12:02 PM H20man

wait wait wait...nothing under biker shorts? Pages: 1 2

Started by Beil
Views: 4924 Posts: 47

2010-03-27 7:56 AM mxr746

How to wash Pearl Izumi bike shoes?

Started by JBrashear
Views: 3965 Posts: 8

2009-10-26 9:57 PM greyg8r

Washing bike shoes

Started by Comet
Views: 799 Posts: 10

2007-08-20 5:38 PM Simon de Kerpel

Video: Why you should leave your shoes on your bike

Started by scottf2
Views: 1534 Posts: 12

2006-02-14 11:01 AM itri2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".