Susan Bradley-Cox
50sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 34s
Overall Rank = 1f/143f
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. I had everything packed and set out, which rarely happens. Ate a banana and part of a Clif bar, and sipped on a nuun sports drink.
Event warmup:

None. They didn't let us get in the pool beforehand. I warmed up rushing while getting transition set before it closed. Got shoes clipped in and rubber bands set. One change- put Garmin on before swim. I still don't record my swim but it saved the hassle of putting on a watch in transition.
Swim
  • 08m 22s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was #136, so had to wait in the chilly air for a very, long time! I feel bad for the people who were in the 300+ range. Anyway, starting every 15 seconds kept things relatively clear and I was able to enjoy a relaxed, uneventful swim. I did stop to let one guy pass me, but drafted him for a lap or two so probably made up the 5 seconds it cost me. Considering my slacked-off swim training, I was happy enough with my time. It converted to about 7:30 for 400 yards instead of meters, and 36 out of 143 women. I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

This summer the majority of my swim practice has been in a lake set up for OWS. I haven't been keeping up with my drills and organized pool workouts.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Struggled with my bike helmet. STraps seem to get wrapped up. Probably cost me 10-15 seconds.
Bike
  • 36m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a decent bike. It could have been better. I was a little slow getting into my shoes, had to fiddle with my helmet a bit, and was maybe overly cautious on the turns. There is one blind turn where I almost ran into an oncoming cyclist last year, so I may have lost a few seconds there. I played leap frog with a guy for a while and did pass quite a few people. Ended up 1st fastest bike split of 143 women.

Half Ironman training has had me doing more long, easy rides and I've slacked off on the shorter intervals. Speed work.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I still don't jump off the moving bike. Got unclipped while on bike but slow to a stop before getting off.

I might try to learn the flying dismount this off-season.
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt rough running off the bike today. My stomach cramped up some, but it may have been because of the uneven, bumpy gravel road for the first .25 mile or so. Still, could not find any rhythm. My first couple miles were slow- 6:59 or so, but my last split was 6:31. I was just starting to feel really good by the end of the run. Watch came up just a touch longer than 5K- 3.14, but I did not stay tight on all those turns.
Run split= 3/143 females

I need to do a couple more bricks before my next tri.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Socialized! Enjoyed being the overall female winner, especially while surrounded by lots of our friends. My husband won the duathlon, too, so it was a great day for us. We've been slacking a little on our training this season, but since going full vegan both of us have been feeling fantastic. I feel that the right nutrition plan can really buy "free" speed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bricks and good pool workouts. I also don't think I put in as hard an effort as I'm capable of. Instead of finishing tired and ready to gag, I felt like I was pulling up from a little speed workout or something. There was tons more in the tank. I've done several halves, but never an Olympic distance and think that I might like that distance best.

Event comments:

Perfect race. I can't say enough about the organization, volunteers, race director, venue and timing company. You don't find many races like this. And the cash award and beautiful trophy and necklace were wonderful to take home!

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:22 | 400 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 36/143f
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot top and new Louis Garneau tri shorts
Course: 400 meter outdoor pool. Serpentine swim with lane lines to left. Time trial start every 15 seconds.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:24 | 13 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Overall: 1/143f
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Not hilly but deceivingly tough just because of the constant rollers. Two turns out, a u-turn, and two more turns on the way back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:23 | 03.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 3/143f
Performance: Average
Course: Some small rollers but flattish. Some uneven sections of gravel roads and grass where you have to watch your footing. Also, quite a few turn arounds. Not a particularly fast course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 12:32 PM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: Tri For Sight Triathlon

2013-09-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4856680

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri For Sight Triathlon

Win!  And for a great cause, too.  Laughing

Congrats on a very well run race (obviously).

Matt

2013-09-17 4:50 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Tri For Sight Triathlon
Way to get some more bling, MAJOR bling for 1st OA female!!!  I'd love to see what you do if you DO put it all out there!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri For Sight Triathlon

Started by PhotoRue
Views: 698 Posts: 1

2012-10-27 8:21 PM PhotoRue

Tri For Sight Triathlon

Started by coachmu
Views: 824 Posts: 2

2012-10-02 12:32 PM erinrockrun

Alcon Tri-for-Sight

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 748 Posts: 1

2005-09-18 8:20 PM tim_edwards

Alcon Tri for Sight

Started by dr_evil_0818
Views: 634 Posts: 1

2005-06-26 11:22 AM dr_evil_0818

First Tri: Race for Sight

Started by slovegreen
Views: 1239 Posts: 9

2005-05-07 12:40 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
comments : 0
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : October 5, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : September 3, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Tips on wetsuits, using different strokes, where to line up, breathing and sighting.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.