United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 17s
Overall Rank = 319/410
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/29
Pre-race routine:

woke up, got dressed, went to race site...not much else.

btw, the ranking above is for overall, in just women i was 136/198.
Event warmup:

hopped in the water for a 5 minutes swim.
Swim
  • 12m 5s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

wow, this swim was bad. i am not used to waves. i'm ok with OWS now, with no waves, but i've never done a race with waves. they weren't even big, just 1ft swells probably, but on the way out, every breath i took sent a wave into my mouth, and i kept stopping to tread water and get my head back on straight.

felt very discombobulated, heart rate probably really high, and stressed out. i tried breathing on the left, but i was so distressed that i couldn't manage it, so i just breast stroked to the buoy, about 200 yards.

rounding out the buoy was ok, coming back in was fine, i just steadily swam. i could feel the waves helping, and that final 300yds was fine, but it wasn't my best swimming...i was just falling back on my regular swim, wasn't thinking about the extra things i have been practicing in the water. but fortunately, i am decent at that, so it was a good way to get calm on the way back and prepare for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

calm down...and force myself to get settled and breathe on the left.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

T1 was ok, i just took off the swim stuff, put on my helmet, and pulled my shoes on and booked it.

the problem was, i didn't velcro my shoes quite tight enough, so i could feel some give as i biked, so that's bad. but i never stopped to correct it, becuase i didn't want to lose a few seconds. i suppose that was dumb.

amazingly enough, i was 13/29 in the T1, so i guess i'm kinda fast. but then, this was a really unserious race :).

velcro my shoes tighter
Bike
  • 57m
  • 15.4 miles
  • 16.21 mile/hr
Comments:

wow, i'm just barely in the 2nd half! that's probably a record for me. this was a good bike, i felt good, and i worked well, and i could tell that focusing on cadence, making circles with my feet, drinking, and good shifting all helped. i definitely have learned how to be a better shifter, which is most excellent.

mm...i don't know...obviously training more would help, but given how much training i had done, this was as good as i could have asked for.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

this was a bad transition. i was dead last in my age group. heh.

i think part of the problem was trying to get my hat on...i had to do some weaseling to get my ponytail out of it, and it wasn't going so hot. but, oh well. next time i'll do it while i'm running.

have my hat unvelcro'd so i can just jam it on and velcro it under my ponytail.
Run
  • 33m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

i was running soooooooo slowly at first, my legs felt DEAD. i know i need to practice bricking, cuz i didn't feel tired, i just couldn't move my legs.

so, my first mile i walked a tiny bit. but the 2nd mile i was just like, dude, this isn't working, so i convinced myself that if i walked some (fast) i could work out the weirdness in my legs faster. so i probably walked about a quarter of a mile? and my legs did come back, so my final mile was pretty freakin fast, for me. so, the lesson is that i need to brick so my run can be fast the whole way, not just the lsat mile :).

even so, i think this is probabloy my fastest pace achieved in a tri, normally my legs are even deader plus i'm in bad shape, so this is good :).

the best part of this is, i was focused. i normally am not, and this is incomprehensible to tom, but i dont' push myself much. i never finish a race so spent that i knew i gave it my all. i usually always leave myself enough to get through the rest of the day (except my first tri, where i was so tired only because i was so undertrained it was pathetic). so this race, as i ran, i said to myself over and over "come on. run fast. you never push yourself. push this time. see what you can do. dig deep. push. try. go."

and it worked!

practice bricking!
Post race
Warm down:

not much, walked around, and ate. i knew i'd have a few hours before tom would finish, so i just wandered around and ate ice cream and cheered. at first i was dead, so i just laid on a blanket, but i recovered after a bit and got more active. met some BTers whose race reports i want to find, they were really nice :). rstocks33 and another guy i think.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

as always, lack of training, and the waves in the water.

Event comments:

this is a fantastic race. it really is so well organized, i'd recommend it to anyone. i'd do this one again in a heartbeat. probably the best race i've ever done (i.e. best of 3 ;)).

Last updated: 2006-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:05 | 500 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/29
Overall: 29/410
Performance: Average
Suit: new descente tri suit!
Course: essentially an out-and-back, but in a triangle shape. choppy/wavy on the way out, but the waves ar ewith you on the way in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:00 | 15.4 miles | 16.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/29
i think the official results calculated pace for 15miles, so they say i was 15.8, but my computer definitely said 15.4 miles, so that's my actual pace. wow! sweet :).
Wind: Little
Course: nice, rolling hills course, very beautiful, and not too hard.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ~85
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:31 | 03 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/29
mile 1: 10:43 mile 2: 13: something (don't have watch with me) mile 3: 9:15-ish
Course: out and back, flat and shaded on the way back, along the lake so it was very pretty.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-25 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: Musselman Triathlon (Sprint)

2006-07-25 5:14 PM
in reply to: #492887

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Musselman Triathlon (Sprint)
Way to blow away your goal! Just think what can happen next.
2006-07-25 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Well done. You look a lot better crossing the finish line in your brightroom pics than I do! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but I'm glad you enjoyed the race and the area.
2006-07-26 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

What fun!!!!  Congratulations on beating your goal time!!!!  Your new tri suit looks great!!!!

Diane

2006-07-26 6:55 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great race, Lisa.  Congrats on your best race. 

Swimming with waves can be hard.  Once I thought I was getting seasick when swimming in the sea. 

Bike/run brick is very important.  Your legs will still feel "dead", but with practice you can get use to it and that feeling would go away quicker. 

It's fun to meet other BTers.  Glad you enjoyed the race. 

2006-07-26 7:48 AM

Champion

Great race Lisa.  I hate swimming in waves (and salt water) too.  Well I guess you could be like me and shave your head so you won't have to mess with the ponytail in T-2!  Hahaha...no I guess that's not what you want to do! 

2006-07-26 12:52 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Great race Lisa!  I have not had an OWS with waves ... great job getting through that swim!
2006-07-27 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

GREAT race, Lisa!  I remember the first time I swam OW with waves...it weirded me out too!  Waves zap your energy!

Congrats on staying mentally strong and crushing your goal!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Triathlon (Sprint) Rss Feed