General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone else see this blog ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-16 11:04 PM
in reply to: dan king

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Subject: RE: Did anyone else see this blog ?
Nice, full contact triathlon! Sign me up! I guess RD's are going to have to start to issue tazer's, one zap, problem solved!

2013-09-16 11:15 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Coach Gil Nice, full contact triathlon! Sign me up! I guess RD's are going to have to start to issue tazer's, one zap, problem solved!

Dude.....nobody wants to ride the lightning.....trust me. Laughing

2013-09-20 12:52 AM
in reply to: dan king

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
So she was wrong first. That does not, again does not excuse what he did and it completely wrong and inappropriate to make contact like that with an individual. But the race course is not the place to meet your family. You cross, you get out of the way, you celebrate. Why does she have to interchange the watch with her husband in the middle of the course? He was trying to go for time, she got in the way.

All you need to know about his character is that he sent a letter complaining he was disqualified without an apology. He's within his right to appeal the disqualification, but whether he feels he's wrong or now, a "I am sorry there was contact with another competitor in the course and that is definitely not my intention as another human being should never come above a finish time in a race, or even finishing, or any aspect of the race" should have been the first sentence on that letter, along with a request to pass on the apology to the stricken racer.

It is definitely possible to collide with a racer not on purpose depending on what they do on the course and whether I'm expecting it or not and how much time and space I have to react (and my reaction times may be slower or faster than someone else's), but I would definitely be apologizing profusely, first on the course, then on message boards if I'm seeing it being discussed, and I'd probably not appeal the disqualification and would just chalk it up to being "one of those things" but I would definitely be sending in a letter explaining my side, i.e. didn't expect that, didn't have enough time to react, definitely not my intention for contact, I am sorry for the situation, etc.

Moral of the story: Do not do things you're not supposed to, even if "everybody does it" which seems to be her excuse for something she seems to know that's wrong, and humans are more important than a race.
2013-09-20 6:08 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Personal foul, lady, wrong way in finishing portion of triathlon
Personal foul, gentleman, unnecessary shoving

Fouls offset. Get about with your lives.

2013-09-20 6:43 AM
in reply to: Fred D

kinda like trial by combat back in the day. The internet Gods will determine the victor.
2013-09-20 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4856868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Left Brain is 100% right. Me personally...I see both of them are at fault in many ways. Maybe even her being the main culprit..

I would love to see video of this because that picture shows nothing IMHO. Yeah there was contact obviously but, from one picture you can't justify a verdict. A picture tells a 1000 words and it seems they are all hers/friends. I race for fun and time at every race I go to. Being a fop triathlete doesn't make me or for that matter anyone else a narccistic goober.

Whoever said it earlier..kettle meet the pot.

Good discussion here though.

2013-09-20 7:50 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
If you all want to see a very different take on this from a notoriously chaotic message board, check out the discussion over at LetsRun. It's Friday, you weren't going to do anything productive today anyway right?

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5395096&page=1

2013-09-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by TheClaaaw If you all want to see a very different take on this from a notoriously chaotic message board, check out the discussion over at LetsRun. It's Friday, you weren't going to do anything productive today anyway right?

If you all thought ST was bad, let me introduce you to Lets Run. Cool

BTW - ST is now all over this as well.

2013-09-20 8:59 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Agree that they were both at fault with her being more at fault in my opinion.

If he did indeed get DQ'd, then she needs to also be DQ'd for outside assistance.

My conspiracy hat says the video puts her in the wrong hence it's no where to be found.
2013-09-20 9:11 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

but if the USAT folks did indeed view the film (which I am making the assumption that they did in order to come to their decision), and still found him in violation of the rules, then doesn't that in and of itself, imply that they find him more at fault than her - because they could have also made the decision to DQ/penalize her, if they found that she had also done something in violation of the published rules...
2013-09-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by austhokie

but if the USAT folks did indeed view the film (which I am making the assumption that they did in order to come to their decision), and still found him in violation of the rules, then doesn't that in and of itself, imply that they find him more at fault than her - because they could have also made the decision to DQ/penalize her, if they found that she had also done something in violation of the published rules...

Then it would be a case of "blaming the victim" in this case. Imagine the outrage if both had been DQ'd. It's an accepted double-standard.

It's no different than one of our local athletes that had a lady come out of an aid station and crash into him which caused him to crack his bike frame/helmet and DNF the race. Should he have apologized to her?

2013-09-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Originally posted by Marvarnett

Originally posted by austhokie

Then it would be a case of "blaming the victim" in this case. Imagine the outrage if both had been DQ'd. It's an accepted double-standard.

It's no different than one of our local athletes that had a lady come out of an aid station and crash into him which caused him to crack his bike frame/helmet and DNF the race. Should he have apologized to her?

that seems a more obvious case of who is at fault - she hit him...in the one, we only have images (carefully selected for shock/awe value) - maybe i'm an optimist, I just hope that the governing officials weighed all the evidence in coming to their decision - but then I drive war-ships for a living and the law of gross tonnage applies - the biggest ship is always going to win
2013-09-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by austhokie but if the USAT folks did indeed view the film (which I am making the assumption that they did in order to come to their decision), and still found him in violation of the rules, then doesn't that in and of itself, imply that they find him more at fault than her - because they could have also made the decision to DQ/penalize her, if they found that she had also done something in violation of the published rules...

if the filmed showed him clearly at fault then im not sure why we would only be looking at carefully selected images and not a video right now.  what would DQ'ing her do? the story would be spun even worse than it is now: woman punched by triathlete and then DQ'ed at race.  yeah that sounds nice, going to get a lot more first timers there. so they DQ him just to say they did something and he will continue paying entry to future races regardless.

2013-09-20 9:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Meh

X2
2013-09-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I'm torn on this but wanted to show this as everyone has read it and maybe I just need clarification.

I intentionally asked both the Toughman committee and the USAT committee NOT to penalize him too severely. I told them that I was indeed in the wrong backing into the finishing lane having crossed the line to kiss my family and friends who drove up to see me, as well as get my watch from my husband who then took a photo.

Is that considered outside assistance? And can't she be DQ'd because of it?
2013-09-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by cornick I'm torn on this but wanted to show this as everyone has read it and maybe I just need clarification.
I intentionally asked both the Toughman committee and the USAT committee NOT to penalize him too severely. I told them that I was indeed in the wrong backing into the finishing lane having crossed the line to kiss my family and friends who drove up to see me, as well as get my watch from my husband who then took a photo.
Is that considered outside assistance? And can't she be DQ'd because of it?

technically yes.

2013-09-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by TheClaaaw If you all want to see a very different take on this from a notoriously chaotic message board, check out the discussion over at LetsRun. It's Friday, you weren't going to do anything productive today anyway right?

If you all thought ST was bad, let me introduce you to Lets Run. Cool

BTW - ST is now all over this as well.

ST is where I saw the letsrun link. I read letsrun very ocassionally. I am not the demographic for it. I would love to post a question about the quality of "finishers medals" and sit back to be barbecued. And I say that not to make fun of it, to be honest that the place is for competitive running. They are often going to view participatory endurance events differently. Which makes it interesting to me that they are the hardcores, but more willing to crucify him. Why? The theme I see is "that dude's race is for 2nd ag in a tri. Not worth it. That's not real racing anyway." Over here we're more kumbaya, yet willing to see things from his side.

Edited by TheClaaaw 2013-09-20 11:58 AM

2013-09-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

wow. these guys are brutal, getting a lot of good laughs though.

2013-09-20 11:53 AM
in reply to: Bevie

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
2013-09-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Somebody's seat was too high on the bike.

: )

Sounds like "the woman" who got smacked took the high road. Well done.
2013-09-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I was until I clicked on that painful link.  WOW that's a lot of hatred.   It however became very entertaining with all the tri bashing because how they were describing tri's is basically how I started to think about the people posting on that site, egotistical - self centered.

Ever since I first saw the pics and read the blogs I wanted to ask.... anyone else think they look fake?  I know there's a lot being said about it all, plus everything on the internet is real but they just look staged.

Edited by MLPFS 2013-09-20 12:38 PM

2013-09-20 12:40 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Pro
It's pretty obvious to me that the people on letsrun can't swim.
2013-09-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Say you are running to the finish, doing 6 minute miles or 14.67 feet per second.

Say there is a woman, inexplicably standing in the middle of an active race course, getting her picture taken.

As you approach the stationary object (woman) you decide to give the stationary object about two feet of space ( because really, are you going to give her 10 feet of space?) as you pass by it. If you look at the photo it appears that he was simply running the yellow line and it looks like she may have been standing in a location that prevented him from running the tangent. Any one of us who races has passed or been passed by thousands of people with two feet of clearance.

As you are about five feet from said stationary object, the object, without looking, inexplicably steps in to your path. At the previously discussed 14.67 feet per second you have less than a third of a second to avoid steamrollering the woman being discussed. You perform a miraculous evasive maneuver and barely graze the woman with your hand. She jumps and freaks out because she certainly was surprised by your presence since she was so in-to doing her own thing that she never,ever thought about anyone but herself on the race course. A photo is taken at the precise moment of your evasive maneuver and her duck-and-cover in surprise.

You keep running because the fault was all hers and really, you barely touched her. (note her post-race photo. She doesn't look like someone who was traumatically knocked to the ground). You may even congratulate yourself for your agility at speed.

Imagine your surprise at finding out that you were DQd because of an event that was someone else's fault? Especially in a race where you busted it to get on the podium.

I suspect that you wouldn't be writing apologetic letters at that point.

Of course, everything above is supposition but the facts support the above conclusions just as much as they support the conclusion that he went out of the way to hit her. And really, how much sense does that make? Who is going to run in to anyone on purpose when they are doing everything in their power to get on the podium? I really hate the one-sided trial by Internet that the original blogger started. And let's face it, if the video that they reportedly have supported their side of things, don't you think it would be out there?
2013-09-20 12:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain It's pretty obvious to me that the people on letsrun can't swim.

LOL yes, that crossed my mind along with I'll give you guys the spandex comments but aren't you the ones always running around in entirely too short / non supportive shorts..... and tank tops?

To each his own gentleman.

2013-09-20 1:22 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by MLPFS

Originally posted by Left Brain It's pretty obvious to me that the people on letsrun can't swim.

LOL yes, that crossed my mind along with I'll give you guys the spandex comments but aren't you the ones always running around in entirely too short / non supportive shorts..... and tank tops?

To each his own gentleman.

"Triathletes are wimps/fairies." I think that line should be in all of our signatures!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone else see this blog ? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Spirit of the Marathon - anyone seen this movie?

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 1286 Posts: 12

2008-04-08 12:05 PM popsracer

Anyone seen the egg doing the triathlon commercial?

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1095 Posts: 3

2007-09-11 11:52 PM davidb

Has anyone seen my desire to train

Started by kalumbaugh
Views: 1406 Posts: 17

2006-06-02 7:40 AM Stone

Anyone seen this piece of training equipment ?

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 1139 Posts: 16

2004-09-30 8:40 AM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.