General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just completed home grown full IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-16 5:16 PM

User image

Subject: just completed home grown full IM
Not having funds to allocate to an official ironman, and not knowing if I'd even be able to finish, my wife encouraged me to make my own routes, invite my friends to do parts with me, and she'd do the aid stations. I started training over a year ago, and I completed the event Saturday 9/14. It was my first IM...technically my first Tri, though I did a HIM at some point in my training.

Swim: 1:41:12
Bike: 7:56:20
Run: 4:49:47

x1 - 8:32
x2 - 7:03

I was going to post the results on the results section, but it's not a real event (though I did give it a name & race bibs :-).

Just thought I'd share.

2013-09-16 5:55 PM
in reply to: completelyhis

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: just completed home grown full IM
Congratulations!
2013-09-16 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
That's impressive doing one individually. Its much easier just to stop and quit when no one is watching. Great job!
2013-09-16 6:08 PM
in reply to: furiousferret

User image

Originally posted by furiousferret

That's impressive doing one individually. Its much easier just to stop and quit when no one is watching. Great job!

I had someone with me the whole way...a student where I teach swam with me, while 4-6 friends were on the shore "cheering" (chatting and having coffee).

I did the bike with my best bud/training partner...we had cheering section of friends at x1 and at the ~50 mile point.

I did the run with a few friends & a student (who did the whole marathon), again, with a handful of cheerers/aid stations at several points along the way.

There was an epic crowd of my best friends at the finish line in the dark, with a lighted "runway" and finisher ribbon. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I've done several marathons & century rides. If I had to choose between doing it with a few friends, or competing as a "loner" - I'd go the first option every time!

I think I would have been more inclined to stop and quit if I didn't have so many of my friends supporting me along the way, so I can't take credit for manliness on that front :-)
2013-09-16 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Awesome, and congratulations! 
2013-09-16 6:50 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by completelyhis  (though I did give it a name & race bibs :-). Just thought I'd share.

Congrats. Sounds like an epic day. What did you name your race? 

2013-09-16 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by completelyhis

I had someone with me the whole way...a student where I teach swam with me, while 4-6 friends were on the shore "cheering" (chatting and having coffee).

I did the bike with my best bud/training partner...we had cheering section of friends at x1 and at the ~50 mile point.

I did the run with a few friends & a student (who did the whole marathon), again, with a handful of cheerers/aid stations at several points along the way.

There was an epic crowd of my best friends at the finish line in the dark, with a lighted "runway" and finisher ribbon. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I've done several marathons & century rides. If I had to choose between doing it with a few friends, or competing as a "loner" - I'd go the first option every time!

I think I would have been more inclined to stop and quit if I didn't have so many of my friends supporting me along the way, so I can't take credit for manliness on that front :-)

Seriously...that sounds awesome! That's cool that you put it all together and that your friends made it out to be with you! Nice work! That's the way to do it!
2013-09-16 8:51 PM

User image

Congrats! Nice job on putting something like this together and sticking to it. Impressive, and what better way than to do it with those closest to you.

Dave
2013-09-16 8:53 PM
in reply to: Woody94

User image

All I can say is very impressive (oh, and CONGRATS)!!!!
2013-09-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4857038

User image

Utah
I think this is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever read on these boards. It isn't about the brand, the fans, or any of that other stuff, it's about what's inside and the ability to do it. So neat that you had so much support! Good for you and Congrats! You are an Ironman!
2013-09-16 8:57 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
First Triathlon, First IM and you WON the whole darn thing! WOW!

2013-09-16 9:28 PM

Awesome!

I think you'd be shocked at how many people would actually 'sign up' for your homegrown race, as well if you actually had one! WTC, watch out!
2013-09-16 9:31 PM

User image

Elite
I love this! simply amazing!!
2013-09-17 12:14 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

That sounds very cool, and you've got great friends
2013-09-17 12:20 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

I named it "McSmack!"

My last name is McIntosh, so it fit. a couple years ago i asked a senior at the school I teach at to draw a picture of a guy getting punched in the face, with spittle, and all irish-tough looking. I thought I was going to use it as a home-brew beer label, just for fun. never did, so i used it for this (see picture). I added the race info to the drawing...she gave it to me with just the pencil sketch.

(page01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
page01.jpg (945KB - 10 downloads)
2013-09-17 12:27 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Thank you all for the encouragement! Looking back on it, i wouldn't change a thing about the day. It was the perfect way to spend my first IM. True community. Not unlike what I've experienced on this board - with so many people willing to give of their time and experience, with no expectation of anything in return. I LOVE IT!

2013-09-17 5:30 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by completelyhisI named it "McSmack!"My last name is McIntosh, so it fit. a couple years ago i asked a senior at the school I teach at to draw a picture of a guy getting punched in the face, with spittle, and all irish-tough looking. I thought I was going to use it as a home-brew beer label, just for fun. never did, so i used it for this (see picture). I added the race info to the drawing...she gave it to me with just the pencil sketch.
Very impressive and what great friends to hang out all day for your " race"Just an idea but if you market it properly, maybe in 30 yrs you could have people pay $700 for yoir race and people will want to put a picture of a man getting punched on their calfNice work ironman
2013-09-17 6:02 AM

User image

Regular
That's awesome! And I love the flyer!

jami
2013-09-17 6:44 AM
in reply to: jdotten

User image

Veteran
That is seriously awesome!!

Do you have to give yourself an M Dot tattoo now?
2013-09-17 6:53 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by KatieLimb I think this is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever read on these boards. It isn't about the brand, the fans, or any of that other stuff, it's about what's inside and the ability to do it. So neat that you had so much support! Good for you and Congrats! You are an Ironman!

OH YEAH!

My husband and I were just talking about this a week ago.  He asked me if anyone just did the distance to do it without going to a race, and we decided that would be pretty cool--and look at you go!

One of the things that sounds like just a huge PITA to me about an IM event are the crowds, travel and general logistics.  It really seems like that is all this huge endurance event outside of the race.  As someone who doesn't like any of that, I think what you've done is brilliant, and I love how you still made it an event. 

To the people suggesting that one day he could charge others  for this, I think you're being tongue in cheek.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a small long course event that didn't cost a damn thing? People just timed themselves on their watches and had friends volunteer support?  Power to the people!

Right on, OP.

2013-09-17 7:01 AM

This is really good stuff! I'd read your race report with all the details included. Way to go.

2013-09-17 7:03 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by KatieLimb I think this is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever read on these boards. It isn't about the brand, the fans, or any of that other stuff, it's about what's inside and the ability to do it. So neat that you had so much support! Good for you and Congrats! You are an Ironman!

OH YEAH!

My husband and I were just talking about this a week ago.  He asked me if anyone just did the distance to do it without going to a race, and we decided that would be pretty cool--and look at you go!

One of the things that sounds like just a huge PITA to me about an IM event are the crowds, travel and general logistics.  It really seems like that is all this huge endurance event outside of the race.  As someone who doesn't like any of that, I think what you've done is brilliant, and I love how you still made it an event. 

To the people suggesting that one day he could charge others  for this, I think you're being tongue in cheek.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a small long course event that didn't cost a damn thing? People just timed themselves on their watches and had friends volunteer support?  Power to the people!

Right on, OP.

something like that would be awesome

one of my best memories of deployment was when we ran a half marathon in the well-deck of an amphib....75 laps around...but hey, it was free
2013-09-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Veteran
Richmond, KY
I love this! Honestly this is something I've thought a lot about doing. For me an IM is a bucket-list item and all of the 'stuff' that goes into one of the commercial IMs is sort of a turn-off. It's great to know that someone actually managed to do it their own. Congrats!
2013-09-17 7:57 AM

User image

Way to go! Sounds like an awesome experience. I don't have friends that do triathlon, so I have thought about doing something similar so that I could enjoy time with friends during each of the events. Very cool.
2013-09-17 8:02 AM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

New Castle
I'd do this to. Good Ideal, so would it still be ok to get a M dot ?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just completed home grown full IM Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

How many IM's did you complete in April?

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 917 Posts: 7

2013-05-02 7:48 AM Sous

Riding IM courses at home -- how to?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1556 Posts: 12

2012-09-19 8:52 PM tri808

Completing HIM or IM in alloted time?

Started by TheEdge
Views: 1014 Posts: 5

2010-08-07 12:28 AM TriAya

Completing a IM on Minimal Training.

Started by SteveinNY
Views: 2330 Posts: 25

2009-08-21 9:15 AM Steve in IL

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2652 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.