Irving, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 29s
Overall Rank = 310/463
Age Group = Athena under 40
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Decided to make the weekend of it. Went to Richardson, TX and stayed with Jen's grandparents and we made a big family event of it. Jen also wanted to buy a kayak.....so we ordered one online and had it scheduled for pickup for this weekend too.

Didn't warm up much on Friday or Saturday. Too busy with packing. Discovered my back brakes and wheel on my bike were out of alignment....fortunately able to get it fixed at the REI bike shop in Dallas.

Tried to sleep early after having spent all day Saturday at REI looking at stuff for the kayak and getting the race packet and checking out the bike course. Didn't sleep all too well...kept waking up.
Event warmup:

Got to the triathlon site at about 6:30 a.m. Got the bike set up. These racks were really tall! Couldn't rack my bike by the seat because my front wheel wouldn't touch the ground. I usually rack it by the handlebars (or brakes) anyway, but it was kinda tight. Oh well. Lots of bikes.....about 500 women here, so this was way bigger than Jefferson.

Walked around a lot just checking out where to bike out and run out etc. Went down to the "lake" and got in to test the water. Nice. Not hot and not too cold. It's going to be a treading start....should be interesting. Didn't like the way the buoys were set up out there, but what do I know? Chatted with some of the women that were there. Just talking to pass the time. I'm in the second wave.
Swim
  • 13m 38s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Prior to actually finding out my chip time for the swim, I felt like I did a good swim. I wanted to be aggressive and started in the front of the wave. I felt like I was aggressive and I felt like I was swimming hard. But my pace time was slower than at Jefferson. Now, the difference was that there were more in this wave than in Jefferson....so perhaps I was slowed down by the crowd. I was kicked and clawed at a lot. About a minute into the swim I had to stop because my watch was falling off after someone grabbed at my hand and loosened my watch. Despite that, I still felt like I swam well and aggressively. I am quite disappointed with the time. I think I'm additionally disappointed because a friend who did the tri had a better swim time than me and I thought I was a faster swimmer...stupid, huh? I know, always finding ways to put myself down and being way too competitive. But she was in a different wave, so who knows?

Jen did comment to me later after the tri that she thought she saw other swimmers swimming across the buoys early before the final turn. My main complaint of the swim is that the course was marked by about 4 very large orange inflatables and it was more of a cone than a triangle. There were no little buoys linking each large inflatable. At one point I thought I was at the turn but then noticed another large inflatable ahead of me and realized it wasn't time yet.

Anyway, it's probably just sour grapes on my part. Don't worry, be happy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really....I need to continue being aggressive and just swim, swim, swim.....I'm thinking I am not going to wear my watch again on the swim. Maybe I'll put it on after the bike to keep me in check for the run.

Prior to seeing my swim time compared to my friend, I would have rated my swim time as good....now I'm just rating it as average....I'm such a meanie to myself.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Overall it was fine....I goofed and didn't put on the helmet first. There was a lot of gravel and I got too wrapped up and trying to get it off my feet with the water I had. So I ended up washing my feet and putting on my bike shoes and then putting on my helmet and sunglasses.

Go back to helmet on first, worry about feet later. Just move faster!
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike course. Overall it allowed for fast speeds. There were a few rolling hills and a couple of long ascents, but not with a high degree of incline, so it wasn't too bad. Only trouble was that my bike computer came loose and then fell off! Luckily it was still attached by the wires. But it was dangling and I wasn't sure if it would stay on! At first I yanked on it to try to rip it off to put it in my side pocket so I wouldn't be penalized or have to stop if it fell off my bike completely. But it wouldn't rip off. Then I realized that this was a $40 bike computer and I was an idiot for trying to rip it off. Had to just hold it in my left hand and just deal with it. Not the best riding position, but oh well. I was in the second wave (really the first, since the first wave only had the two pro athletes in it). So I was able to pass a few people which was a nice feeling compared to last Sunday. Since I didn't have a bike computer, I had ride completely by feel......made it a bit harder, but I did it.

Need to practice more hills! I hate hills and I want to do better on them too! And next time check the bike computer! Geez....never thought it would come loose or fall off...had to be on a race too no less!
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Went fine. Was catching my breath. Took a bit longer trying to put on cap and drink water. Run out was a bit further away....so that might have added to my time.

Just go faster!
Run
  • 41m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually ran the course!!!!! I didn't walk at all! It felt great! I ran out of the transition area and I was actually running!!!!!!! It felt awesome to run out and have the crowd cheering. Of course I got passed a dozen times but this time I was not walking, so it felt fine. I ran, I ran, I ran. I'm still slow as Christmas, but I ran!!!!!!!!!!!

Run, Sharon, RUN!!!!!!! Keep running!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't have the blackout sensation. Felt pretty good after the race despite the fact that my blood sugar was through the roof. I can't use those electrolyte replacement drinks....it just wrecks havoc with my blood sugar. Will have to go back to just regular water and figure out something else to get my electrolytes in. Luckily it wasn't that hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was a good race. Felt good to actually feel like I was racing and not just merely finishing. I wasn't that fast overall, but I felt like I was, probably because I started in an earlier wave, but you know what, I need to remember that triathlons is about challenging yourself....at least that's what I need to focus on. It just felt good to not come in last this time.

Event comments:

I came in second in the Athena under 40 division. I probably will never place in this division again...not just because of weight (hopefully), but I was lucky that I came in second anyway. I know, gotta love myself. I raced, I completed and out of the 10 women in that division, I was the second fastest there. I guess I just look too much at the other times and think that I am undeserving. And yet if someone else was in my shoes, I would say they deserved it.

I enjoyed this race because the crowd and volunteer support was awesome. Having the spectators and crowds line the streets for the bike and the run was awesome. It was so cool to round the corner going into transition on the bike at high speed and having people cheer you on...like my own mini Tour De France! And having people cheer you on as you run in and clapping and yelling for you.....everyone should experience that at least once.

And I need to remember that my participation in triathlons is not about winning or losing because we all win when we do something like this that only helps us live healthier and more productive lives.

Carpe Diem, eh? No more negative self-talk. Learn to love myself and learn to love my experiences and my own little victories, because afterall, I earned it fair and square.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:38 | 547 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/463
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: They said triangular.....I thought it was more cone like. It was a very narrow lake, so it was more of a swim out and make a sharp right and swim back. All they had were giant orange inflatables....no real buoys. And lots of kayaks and "swim angels" with "noodles".
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:38 | 12.43 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills and flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:56 | 03.11 miles | 13m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat. Not a lot of shade. Good drink stations.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-25 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon

2006-07-25 5:49 PM
in reply to: #492986

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon
Congrats on doing so well. Stop beating up on yourself even though that makes me a hypocrite . The 2nd place trophy is so cool! as is the finisher's medal. Keep up the good work!

Good luck training!
2006-07-25 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
LOL....you know about beating up one's self too? Wink I'm learning to be better about it. Thanks for the comment!
2006-07-26 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Whoo Hooo!!!!  You got hardware!!!!!  Congrats on a great race!!!!  You are doing great!!!!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon Rss Feed