General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "September Surge" - Asthma flare up - does it happen to you? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: "September Surge" - Asthma flare up - does it happen to you?
Hey folks... just a quick question for those of you with asthma. Its well documented that with fall comes a surge in asthma flare ups ... for the first time I'm finding myself very affected by it. Fortunately I have no need to be training hard, so I'm laying low and following my doc's guidelines with medication dosage when this happens, however I'm not sure if it's enough this time. I'm giving it a couple more days to really take effect and get the inflammation down before I head back into the office.

That aside, for those of you who are also affected, do you tend to stop your training all-together when you're in a flare-up, or just ease way back in intensity to keep the airflow going? Once things feel more under control, I'm anxious to get moving again, as the weather is so completely perfect for once!

2013-09-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: "September Surge" - Asthma flare up - does it happen to you?
Yes, I'm affected. I take Advair 250/50 no matter the season, and that helps. I also make sure not to miss my allergy medication in fall/spring. I know before I start a training session if it's a bad asthma day or not. If it's iffy, I train inside. Fall running races don't seem to bother me too much, but I do run those with a rescue inhaler. I won't even sign up to do a spring running race any more. Asthma is too bad then.

What medication do you take for your asthma?
2013-09-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I've been on Symbicort for a while, really only needing one dose when exercising, (mostly when the temps drop below freezing or the humidity is above 70%, or I'm swimming) or coming off a cold or some kind of respiratory virus. But the last couple of weeks have been brutal, so now I'm up to my prescribed max but feeling it. Doesn't seem to be a problem as long as I don't try and breathe...
2013-09-17 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
it has only started happening to me since i moved to virginia but in my case its (fall pollen!) allergies triggering the asthma.  i add a daily claritin D and do just fine.
2013-09-17 1:11 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan
I've been weezing up a storm at night, but after my 1st big cup of coffee on my way to paper route things loosen up, after 1st run, it clears all up and by the time on get on my bike it is gone. I think say keep moving, get those lungs going, and let your body know who is the boss. It does not come back till a few hours of sleep, and then repeat! BIG CUP OF COFFEE to get things moving. And of corse a puff of the inhaler now and again.

Good Luck
pb
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "September Surge" - Asthma flare up - does it happen to you? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2095 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner...

Started by brooksinc1976
Views: 783 Posts: 9

2011-06-17 10:20 AM wannanorseman

Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner...

Started by brooksinc1976
Views: 335 Posts: 1

2011-06-16 1:07 PM brooksinc1976

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

cyclist doing push ups on the sidewalk...WHAT?! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by meblack
Views: 4284 Posts: 52

2009-07-30 8:28 AM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
Finding the correct cause and most effective treatment will return the athlete to competitive form most quickly, and should be done under the guidance of a well qualified physician.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : March 5, 2006
comments : 1
Your sports medicine physician may recommend an exercise challenge. This test involves blowing into the spirometer, exercising hard enough and long enough to cause symptoms.

date : April 9, 2005
It is difficult to change your gait. But, it can be done by working hard on form running that emphasizes technique, not volume in your training.