General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggle help for a young man with severe astigmatism Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Goggle help for a young man with severe astigmatism
Ok swimmers I need your help. I have a young man that just joined our swim team. He is 8 years old and is wearing glasses. He was born with severe astigmatism in one eye. When he was 3 the doctor realized that the brain had basically told the eye with the astigmatism to "go to sleep." So his one eye wasn't working. The family had to patch the good eye for long periods of time. Now he doesn't have to patch anymore, but he does have to wear his glasses pretty much all his awake hours. So he is trying to swim with his glasses on. He has a strap. I told his mom about prescription goggles, but she says her ophthalmologist says that they can't do prescription goggles due to the shape they would need to be for the severe astigmatism. Does anyone have any suggestions? They have tried putting a mask style goggle over the glasses, but can't get a seal. They have also tried putting the glasses on top of smaller swede type goggle. Is this little man going to have to give up swimming?

jami

2013-09-17 2:04 PM
in reply to: jdotten

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Goggle help for a young man with severe astigmatism
No one should have to give up swimming!

How bad is his vision? can he make out general shapes and sizes? He can swim with goggle(no glasses) as long as he can see well enough not to run into things people.

Through high school as a swimmer I never raced with goggles, never wanted to take the chance of them filling with water or dislodging during the start. So I had basic blurry under water vision all time when racing. It sounds like he can see that well with goggles on and no glasses, then he should be fine. He should work on a smooth well balance stroke first before trying to get faster that way he has less chance of bumping into things. Where there's a will there's a way.
2013-09-17 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk/Custom_Made_Prescrip...

http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk/SplashJunior.html

There are models that will go up to +6.00/-10.00 (maximum combined power) and an opposite cyl power 4.00 dioptres. I don't know if this will be enough to correct severe astigmatism but it should help somewhat. They are expensive: 90 quid for a pair + shipping.

2013-09-17 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd revisit the prescription goggle option.  Even if they couldn't make up a pair with the same correction as his regular glasses, they might come up with something good enough for swimming.  It's not like you're reading a book while swimming; as long as you can see the lane lines, the walls and the other swimmers, you should be good to go.

I have an astigmatism in my left eye and also wear bifocals at work.  My eye doctor came up with a "compromise" prescription for soft contact lenses for me, specifically for training.  I don't have perfect vision with them, but they work well for S/B/R.   I've seen some pretty young kids do well with contacts.  It might be another option.

Hope they can figure something out.

Mark

2013-09-17 2:47 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I second the suggestion of looking deeper into the goggle deal.

My niece had the same thing,  I think.  She is on her way to no longer needing any glasses, apparently, which I think is amazing.

She wears prescription goggles.   My guess is that while they don't give 20/20 vision, it's enough to get by.

2013-09-17 2:51 PM

User image

New user
Speedo makes a fairly inexpensive goggle ($25) with some correction. Apparently the lenses can be swapped out so his mom could buy one pair with no correction (or whatever correction his "good" eye needs) and one pair with as close to his prescription as possible, then swap lenses. Review on Amazon talks about that a bit: http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Junior-Vanquisher-Optical-Diopter-2-5/...
Aquagear has them for ~$20:
http://www.aquagear.com/speedo-jr-vanquisher-optical/
Sounds like he can't be corrected to 20-20 with something like this but he doesn't need to be. He just needs enough correction on the "bad" eye side to get by.
I had pretty bad astigmatism as well (almost legally blind without correction) and used these with great success while I was preparing for Lasik (couldn't wear any contacts for 6 months).

2013-09-17 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My husband says he see better with his cheap swim than his glasses.

Ask at the optician's office. They have generic corrective goggles that are cheap like $20-25 that may work pretty well which is what I got for my husband.

These are they type my husband uses for $19. they have correction up to negative 8. Figuring out what number to order was hard. Optical shops want you to order the custom $200 type from them....then $19 pair works for my husband.

2013-09-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I have Aqua Sphere Eagle Optics to be used with the Aqua Sphere Eagle Goggle.  Very happy with them.  Can order specific lenses for each eye.  So maybe he can just get one lense and keep the regular one?  

http://www.aquagear.com/aqua-sphere-eagle-optics/

http://www.aquagear.com/aqua-sphere-eagle/

2013-09-17 3:22 PM

User image

If I am reading this right it's the shape of goggles that won't allow the prescription to be effective enough to continue strengthening his eye? 

In HS I almost lost an eye playing water polo.  In order to continue playing I had to wear something protective.  I ended up using
racquetball goggles.  I'm pretty sure they can be ordered with corrective lenses.  If that's doable they are pretty snug and you may be able to rig them into a regular mask(more scuba oriented). 
Won't be the most aerodynamic design but could keep him in the pool.  Worst case he could swim with just the racquetball ones on.  Chlorine will still bother his eyes during longer practices and it will still be a little blurry.

Hope it works, hate to lose a little fishy.

2013-09-17 7:25 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My daughter is legally blind in her right eye, also from severe astigmatism. They were concerned that we had noticed her issue too late and that she may never see out of her bad eye? Fortunately with a program pretty similar to "your" swimmers she now is corrected close to 20/20 with her very impressive glasses (think $600 for the one lense). She has almost 20/20 vision in her left (good) eye and is one of the better swimmers on her team wearing just normal goggles.

These parents have achieved some semblance of return of vision with their patching program and now they don't want to lose any of the gains they have made. The time sent swimming isn't going to make a hill of beans of a difference if he doesn't wear his glasses while swimming. Of course they (like my wife and I) probably feel some guilt over not noticing his eye issue early enough and now they are overcompensating by torturing their kid by making him wear his glasses while swimming. Think about te logic on that for a sec. It doesn't really make sense. Of course they probably won't believe you, the swim coach, so they should probably go see their ophthalmologist and he will likely say the same thing I have just told you.

Good luck
2013-09-17 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Make your own.

Take a pair of goggles to the optician.  Have them cut a lens to the same shape as the outside of the goggles.

Use RTV (silicone sealant) to attach the lens to the outside of the regular goggles.

It'll look a little funny, but it should work (of course talk to the optician, I am not one.)

Buy several pairs of that kind of goggle.  Move the lens when the goggles wear out. The RTV should be strong enough to hold the lens, but easy enough to remove with a little effort.

2013-09-18 6:46 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks everyone! I am forwarding the info to the child's mom! He says the doctor told him he can only go 5 minutes without his glasses. But he will borrow goggles and wear them with glee for those 5 minutes. He's really good in the water too. I hate to lose him.

jami
2013-09-18 8:21 AM

User image

not a solution, but maybe a suggestion - why not contact one of the companies that does the prescription lenses, explain the issue to them and see if they have any recommendations - maybe something specific could be manufactured (at an additional cost - most likely) - it might take some coordination between the family, the company and the opthamologist - but would be good PR for the company if they could do something
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggle help for a young man with severe astigmatism Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

how young is too young? Pages: 1 2

Started by falconsprint63
Views: 2732 Posts: 29

2012-06-26 8:45 PM falconsprint63

How young is to young?

Started by Wesley12
Views: 2044 Posts: 13

2011-06-02 5:12 PM dano-oly

Big Goggles Little Goggles

Started by tri'n
Views: 1955 Posts: 14

2008-02-12 2:37 PM rstocks3

right goggle always fills up halfway - help!

Started by palatinate11
Views: 740 Posts: 9

2006-08-10 8:03 PM gullahcracker

Young Newbie help

Started by Hermom
Views: 1159 Posts: 8

2004-01-25 2:39 PM Hermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!
date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.