General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on Tucson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 4:05 PM

Veteran
Subject: School me on Tucson
It looks like I'll be relocating to Tucson from Albuquerque soon. From browsing the net it looks like we are most interested in living on the NW side of town and my job will be downtown. The plan is to live close to The Loop and commute to work. Is this possible in the summer or is it just too hot? What are some important things to know about the area that I won't learn online? Are there unsafe areas in town? How is downtown for hanging out, not living? Cool things to do, see? I appreciate any insight you can share about the city. Tri related information is good too (although, right now, I'm still trying to come back from an injury but I hope to be running, riding, and swimming again soon.) TIA.

Tim

2013-09-17 9:44 PM
in reply to: trinity

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: School me on Tucson
not sure about the areas...my sister lived in Oro Valley which was nice. Now she is in Tucson proper and it is a nice area - around Ina/La Canada.

You MUST ride up Mt. Lemmon if you get a change! I did it back in July and it is AMAZING!

Hope your move goes well - good luck!
2013-09-18 9:25 AM

User image

Pro

It is possible to commute in the summer - if you can stand the heat. I'll ride in triple digit temps and not think twice - aside from reminding myself to hydrate more before, during, and after the ride.

Where on the NW side? What do you consider NW? If you're talking near The Loop, then in the River/Oracle area? Or further west off Silverbell? There are good and not-so-good parts. 

I really like downtown/4th Ave. Big enough that there are plenty of places to go and things to do, but small enough that it's not overwhelming.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or just ask here.

2013-09-18 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Send Brian Stover (get_faster at hotmail dot com) a message. He's a VERY good coach in Tucson, and does a ton of riding/running in the area. He lives a little northwest of downtown IIRC the layout of the town correctly. He can also give you the lowdown on swimming pools and other related info.

There are a few pro's that live in Tucson as well.

John
2013-09-18 3:46 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.

ratherbeswimming > we are looking at the areas off of Silverbell. From googling the area it seems like it is a lot like the neighborhood we live in here in Albuquerque.

We are headed that way this weekend for a scouting trip. I'm excited to see the town. Everyone I've talked to who's been there says it's a great place.
2013-09-18 5:00 PM

User image

Pro

It is generally nice - and pretty! - over there. 

I'm out of town this weekend, but if you need any help at all e-mail me at ratherbeswimmin @ gmail . com, and I'll find a friend to help you out.

2013-09-18 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by trinity

It looks like I'll be relocating to Tucson from Albuquerque soon. From browsing the net it looks like we are most interested in living on the NW side of town and my job will be downtown. The plan is to live close to The Loop and commute to work. Is this possible in the summer or is it just too hot? What are some important things to know about the area that I won't learn online? Are there unsafe areas in town? How is downtown for hanging out, not living? Cool things to do, see? I appreciate any insight you can share about the city. Tri related information is good too (although, right now, I'm still trying to come back from an injury but I hope to be running, riding, and swimming again soon.) TIA.

Tim

I've been riding the loop in the summer, but make sure you got plenty of hydration and/or make stops. Morning is fine, but the afternoon at 105+ can be pretty rough.
Riding the loop is ok, but can be high traffic at cooler times. Middle of the day, there's nobody out there. Watch out for the bums!

There aren't really any 'unsafe' areas. South Tucson is probably the least safe because of drug stuff, but you'd have to be out at 2 AM running drugs to be in the unsafe category.

Downtown is nice, but nothing to write home about. Typical downtown scenery. I'm not a drinker or bar person, but there is that kind of stuff too.

Tucson is great for cycling, hiking and the outdoors in general. Mt Lemmon, Saguaro National Park, etc are great areas for outdoors and cycling. The weather here makes it great for year round training.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, I'll try to help. I don't know a whole lot about the NW side, I'm on the SW, but I'll help if I can.
Joe
2013-09-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: joestop74

User image

Payson, AZ
My personal preference is the East side but I never had to commute.  I would think the commute to downtown would get old from the East side.
2013-09-19 11:29 PM

User image

Pro

I'm an east sider.  A clean shot right up Mt. Lemmon with no traffic lights.  pro teams come here in the winter to train- and for good reason.

Mt. Lemmon is the best ride in the country.  possibly the world.

Downtown is doing better these days.  Good choice of restaurants and nightlife.  Living in the downtown area is fun- i used to live in Armory Park- but not sure I'd want to raise a family there.

The northwest side is fine- but pretty much just suburbia.  Newer, but few redeeming qualities.

There's lot's of open space around tucson for some great rides.  

No open water, so the triathlon scene is limited.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » School me on Tucson Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriCat's Aquathon (Tucson)

Started by cbirchrun
Views: 940 Posts: 1

2007-02-07 9:57 PM cbirchrun

El Tour de Tucson 2006

Started by oldpueblotriguy
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2006-10-17 8:39 PM Focker out!

New to Tri - in Tucson

Started by mikeasu
Views: 919 Posts: 2

2006-08-04 10:24 AM kevindaz

Tucson Tri

Started by oldpueblotriguy
Views: 875 Posts: 2

2006-03-10 3:20 PM dorkboy

El Tour de Tucson...soundoff

Started by Casey Shaw
Views: 1033 Posts: 3

2005-11-20 7:57 PM oipolloi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.