General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's off the "bucket list" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-18 5:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Subject: That's off the "bucket list"
I can now officially check getting hit by a car off the list. Out for a nice 50 plus on Sunday around Hillsdale, back to Edgerton. Started taking 199th back to Spring Hill only to find the road closed at Gardner Rd. Took the detour up by the new BNSF intermodal site and then into Gardner. Started going over the overpass of I 35 and watching cars move left to give me room, then out of nowhere, there was a dull thump and the feeling of flying and tumbling. It was sometime in that few seconds that I realized that I just got hit.

The driver was, according to the police that I have talked to since, was not paying attention and looking left and didn't see me at all. He drifted over and I met his side view mirror up close and personal. I hit the ground and there were seemingly a ton of people, standing over me. I could hear some calling 911, one lady asked if she could call someone, I looked around, gave her my phone and she called my wife.

The good news is that I never out, I was coherent the entire time. I had my GoPro on but the impact knocked the SD card out and unfortunately the video file is not recoverable. I even remember asking the EMT in the ambulance to hit stop on my Garmin so as not to screw up average time or distance, but he said he had other concerns first.

All in all, 8 broken/cracked ribs and a compression fracture of my L2 vertebrae. Spent one night in the hospital, the doctors wanted to make sure I could breath well enough.

At home now on pain and muscle relaxants and can't walk with out cane or crutch, due to severely strained/pulled muscle in my groin and lower abs.

BTW, the driver did stop and waited for police and ambulance crews and gave a statement. All the witness said I held my line on the white line and that he drifted over.

Anyway, be careful out there.

2013-09-18 5:52 AM
in reply to: IMHusker

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: That's off the "bucket list"
Wow, glad you're going to be ok. That sucks though. Hopefully the drivers ins. Takes care of your bike, camera, ect. So it's ready when you are.
2013-09-18 6:03 AM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Veteran
Olathe
I know that he was insured, but I have retained an attorney, if for no other reason that to deal with the ins companies and make sure I don't get screwed.
2013-09-18 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Man, that's rough. I'm glad you weren't hurt even worse. Hope you heal up quickly and the bike turns out ok.
2013-09-18 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thankfully the driver did the right thing.  So many stories of hit and run.  Or hit and blame the cyclist.  Heal up and don't rush back too quickly.  Plenty of time to get back up to speed over the fall/winter.
2013-09-18 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Heal up, Trey. I hope you can make a full recovery.

I've never cared for that stretch of road and have avoided biking there, mostly because of the debris/trash and the annoying rumble strips on the shoulder. Not to mention the high amount of traffic that you have to deal with while climbing the interstate and railroad overpass. It's unfortunate the detour took you that way.

2013-09-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Originally posted by Barkeep

Heal up, Trey. I hope you can make a full recovery.

I've never cared for that stretch of road and have avoided biking there, mostly because of the debris/trash and the annoying rumble strips on the shoulder. Not to mention the high amount of traffic that you have to deal with while climbing the interstate and railroad overpass. It's unfortunate the detour took you that way.

In retrospect I will I had stayed on Gardner Rd to 167 then went past the north side of the airport, but hindsight is always 20/20
2013-09-18 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Heal up quick. I've had some close calls around Hillsdale Lake and actually won't ride anywhere near there now. I'm glad the driver stopped, and I'm sure they are glad you weren't injured more severely. Good call on the attorney, don't forget about the medical treatment both in Hospital and outpatient-based. Insurance companies may give you a hard time regarding any outpatient PT, but make sure it's covered up front. It should be as it's typical standard of care of compression fractures. Sorry you have to deal with this. And glad you're alive...
2013-09-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Originally posted by m.a.burghart

Heal up quick. I've had some close calls around Hillsdale Lake and actually won't ride anywhere near there now. I'm glad the driver stopped, and I'm sure they are glad you weren't injured more severely. Good call on the attorney, don't forget about the medical treatment both in Hospital and outpatient-based. Insurance companies may give you a hard time regarding any outpatient PT, but make sure it's covered up front. It should be as it's typical standard of care of compression fractures. Sorry you have to deal with this. And glad you're alive...

My attorney was referred to me by another cycling buddy, the attorney has been riding and racing bikes for 20 plus years and was hit by a car 9 years ago and one of his areas of expertise is car v bike accidents.
2013-09-18 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
Glad you're ok. I did a similar route last weekend around the lake.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's off the "bucket list" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swimming in the off season in KC

Started by someguyinKC
Views: 1261 Posts: 2

2011-10-07 3:45 PM reecealan

God's Country Off Road Duathlon

Started by TriJayhawkRyan
Views: 1626 Posts: 6

2010-04-08 11:23 AM daynkc

Off Season?!?!

Started by princessliak
Views: 915 Posts: 5

2007-09-14 9:07 AM lisac957

another one of my WAAAY off tri questions...

Started by tdstewKC
Views: 1059 Posts: 4

2007-06-07 12:56 PM tdstewKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
comments : 0
End of season thoughts and tips

date : August 2, 2010
author : mcinTri2010
comments : 10
It has been a bucket list item for years...something to do before I'm 25. Okay, maybe I'll push that to 30. Okay, maybe I'll let it go altogether.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : March 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
This company has quietly introduced the Inflatable Foot Rinse. It’s lightweight, portable, and solves all of the issues inherent in the ubiquitous plastic bucket.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mscotthall
comments : 5
I have compiled a list of the eleven most important things, in my opinion, that I have learned in my first three months as a triathlete and a BT member. Hopefully you find this useful.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.