United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena 0-39
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

I had to be at packet pick up at 5:30 and be out of transition by 7 so I was up at 3:30 and left by 4:15 for the hour and some change drive. The Colonel was nice enough to do the driving so all I had to do was sit, eat and sing. Oh, and FREEZE. It happened to be the first weekend in a long time with 40 degree morning temperatures so that made things interesting. As you know, I love the cold so there was lots of shivering but no complaining on my part!
Event warmup:

No pool warm ups allowed.
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

I love swimming and am improving a lot which is a big confidence booster. After the first 25 I had already caught the person in front of me. At the 50m mark a woman caught me and I let her go by but before we even reached the wall for 75m she started doing breaststroke and I caught her pretty quick. Since it was in the pool and the lanes were narrow we had to wait until the wall before we could pass which was a little irritating. Somewhere around halfway I got in a head on collision which is kind of funny. When I swim in the pool I don't do a lot of sighting because I don't have to so I was looking straight down and a woman doing breaststroke bulldozed me! I was surprised but no one was injured so I just kept on swimming. Later everyone told me she was going the wrong way in the lane so I didn't feel too bad. I passed a lot of people on the swim which was really surprising but I was so happy since I knew they'd all catch up on the bike. I could hear people cheering for me every now and then when I took a breath and that was fun too. Before I knew it I was finished (and a little sad that swim time was over!) and hopped out of the pool to make the long jog to transition. I was expecting to do around 12 minutes, my best time in the pool on my own was 11:13 and I figured I lost some time getting stuck in traffic. I was shocked when I saw my splits!
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself more accurately so I didn't have to spend so much time waiting to pass people.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

A few people came into transition behind me from the swim but I beat most of them out. I assume they were all first timers since I'm not all that seasoned.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 11.75 mile/hr
Comments:

They weren't joking about the "rolling hills" on the course because it was a constant up and down all 13 miles. I haven't ridden much but it's almost always on hills so I didn't have trouble with any of the climbs. There were a couple of pretty big ones and it definitely started to hurt on the way back but I just changed gears and kept moving forward. Just like I thought I was passed by what felt like EVERYONE on the bike course which strengthened my resolve to start The Sufferfest in November. I just kept telling myself to push hard but save a bit for the run. I think if I weren't so afraid of going fast on those downhills I would've done much better time wise but I'm still inexperienced and ride my breaks in case a turn comes up or I have to swerve to avoid something.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I remembered to shift down for the last half mile or so of the bike so I'd spin a little and get my legs used to a quicker cadence. I got off my bike and did the tippy toe dance into transition to get that tingle out of my butt for the run. Transition was FAST and I'm not sure how it's possible but the results don't lie!
Run
  • 33m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not used to passing people but I've got to admit it's kind of fun. Rewarding maybe is the right word. I gave them all words of encouragement and got a lot of stink eyes thrown back at me but a lot more positive words back. Anything goes during the run of a tri so I don't hold anything against anyone. There was one woman I really tried to hang with and did for almost 2 miles before she left me in the dust. Oh well.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 400 meters | 02m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool serpentine style swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:24 | 13 miles | 11.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Constant rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:27 | 03.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Course: There was gravel at the start of the run which sucked but was manageable. The course was bizarre with 3 (I think) kind of random turn arounds. Aside from the gravel the roads were in great shape (bike included!) so that made the run pretty easy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-18 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: Tri For Sight Triathlon

2013-09-19 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4858511

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Tri For Sight Triathlon
Nicely done! I did the race, too. You must have been the only one not complaining about the cold while waiting to swim! lol Sounds like you had a really good swim and run, and The Sufferfest will really give your biking a boost. If you're strong enough to run like that you have a lot of potential to be a fast biker! And rocket fast T2- well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri For Sight Triathlon

Started by erinrockrun
Views: 1295 Posts: 3

2013-09-17 4:50 AM Hildebeast

Tri For Sight Triathlon

Started by PhotoRue
Views: 697 Posts: 1

2012-10-27 8:21 PM PhotoRue

Tri For Sight Triathlon

Started by coachmu
Views: 823 Posts: 2

2012-10-02 12:32 PM erinrockrun

Alcon Tri for Sight

Started by dr_evil_0818
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2005-06-26 11:22 AM dr_evil_0818

First Tri: Race for Sight

Started by slovegreen
Views: 1234 Posts: 9

2005-05-07 12:40 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
comments : 0
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : October 5, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : September 3, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Tips on wetsuits, using different strokes, where to line up, breathing and sighting.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.