General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend reflective bike and run clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-19 10:47 PM

User image

Subject: Recommend reflective bike and run clothing
Is there reflective bike and run clothing that illuminates the outline of a person's body when vehicle lights shine on them?

For night bike riding, I use three flashing lights on the rear, two strong headlights on the front and an LED headlamp wrapped around my helmet. This is ample lighting for the bike and my head, but, my upper and lower body is still in the dark, even with the reflective piping that is on my clothes, shoes, gloves and helmet cover.

2013-09-22 12:16 AM
in reply to: Recovery

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Recommend reflective bike and run clothing
Originally posted by Recovery

Is there reflective bike and run clothing that illuminates the outline of a person's body when vehicle lights shine on them?

For night bike riding, I use three flashing lights on the rear, two strong headlights on the front and an LED headlamp wrapped around my helmet. This is ample lighting for the bike and my head, but, my upper and lower body is still in the dark, even with the reflective piping that is on my clothes, shoes, gloves and helmet cover.

http://www.relaxreflect.com/

have some of their kit. Same material as Lululemon. Passive lighting is a good idea for night time. Battery powered lights can get over whelmed by car headlights
2013-09-22 2:27 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hi there!!!

i worked for the manufacturer of reflective fabric before, If you prefer an economical approach
for acquiring reflective fabric: You can buy a reflective fabric tape and have it sewn on your existing jerseys
using this product:
http://www.awdirect.com/3m-silver-retro-reflective-sew-on-fabric-ta...

you have an option if you want t be conspicuous in day and night:

http://www.awdirect.com/3m-hi-vis-twin-trim-retro-reflective-sew-on...

therefore you dont have to buy a single $75 jerseys.

Cheers

2013-09-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think Nathan sells a reflective vest for running/cycling; not certain as the label has fallen off mine. There are reflective strips on front and back. Comfortable for both but it's a bit floppy if you're my size. Nathan also makes a race belt that has clips for a number, an ID pouch, and a mini-pocket for keys, gels, etc. It's got two big silver reflective strips on the back that, according to someone who often rides by me early AM, are very visible in fairly minimal light (from her bike headlights). When I run before dawn, unless already wearing a top with reflective materials. I wear the belt, even if I don't need the clips or pocket, just for visibility. I also have been known to stick a flashing red rear bike light (with a clip) into the waistband at the back of my running shorts, to make sure I can be seen from behind.

As for your head, it seems awkward to put a headlamp on a bike helmet. I have a two-sided helmet light that I bought in Singapore--white light in front and red light in the back. I think it's from Planet Bike (left bike and helmet at work yesterday so not sure). It can be set for any combo of steady or blinking. I don't do training rides in the dark but I do use it for commuting, and occasionally riding to Singapore races from my hotel. I'd assume you can buy something similar in the US. It's not intended to light the way, but to make you visible to cars and pedestrians.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-09-22 7:10 AM
2013-09-22 12:16 PM

User image

The 951
Do you have a friend in the USMC/USA/USAF?

Their glow belts work REAL WELL and they're cheap. $8 or so.
2013-09-27 10:29 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Thanks everyone! You've given me more options to explore.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend reflective bike and run clothing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ladies Reflective Yellow Cycling Jerseys

Started by maria40nc
Views: 1800 Posts: 5

2010-04-02 7:38 AM maria40nc

Reflective Gear

Started by rthomas
Views: 573 Posts: 1

2007-11-13 8:08 PM rthomas

Recommend some bikes

Started by laurarams
Views: 611 Posts: 7

2006-08-31 8:59 PM KathyG

Good reflective gear for running/biking??

Started by getsome
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2006-02-13 12:00 PM getsome

Reflective Running Jackets?

Started by tupuppy
Views: 834 Posts: 5

2005-02-02 9:07 AM basscycle23
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 1
For the people that are nervous and happy to be there and are just content to finish the event.