General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIrst Crash today! seeking advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-19 11:48 PM

User image

New user
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: FIrst Crash today! seeking advice.
So, today I had my first bike crash ever.

Here is the scenario I was going a group ride with other 6 people, and was on my tri bike (not aero). We got to a place where there is a nice 4-5 mile stretch, I usually break away from the group to go aero for that stretch. So I did.

I started gaining some speed and was going in a slight downhill, when I get caught by another group of riders, which usually do the same route we do, but are much faster than me. So I try to hang on and pursue for a bit. In this moment we are on a street with very little traffic, and two way street.

This is when it all went bad, I see that on the other side of the street there is a left turn to get to a residential area. There is a car coming from the other side of the street at a high speed but is slowing down a bit. By now I am probably 30ft behind the fast group of 4 riders. Once the last of them passes by the car accelerates and turns and practically stops in the middle of the street, right on my path.

At this moment I was on my aerobars, and after confirming later with my garmin I was doing 26.8 mph. The car accelerates to get out of the way but I am am about to hit him. I was able to get out of aero, apply my breaks but lost control of the bike. I missed hitting the car but I go flying on my side, my bike hit the sidewalk and I slided for about 15 ft.

So I am on the floor, when my friend who was a bit behind me catches up and gets to see the car as well, which at this point had stopped to see what he had caused. The entire group gets there, they make sure I am fine, which I am except for 3 big rashes. My bike seems to be almost intact.

Suddenly the car just leaves without the driver getting off to see if I was fine.
So after checking everything I determine I can complete the ride, there was like 8 miles left. I drop my bike at the shop just for some post crash inspection (that is where we start our ride)

When I got home today I realized the residential area has probably just 20 houses, so I went with google street view, and BOOM I recognize the car that was involved in there.

My question would be what do you think I should do next.
In my opinion the car was at fault and caused me to crash.
Legally is there something I can do about it?
I wasn't badly hurt neither my bike, but the injuries I had could have been much worse.

Please give me your opinion on this.

By the way I am very careful on when to ride on the aero drops and when not, and this street and stretch would be an ideal place, because there is no traffic, no stop sign and no lights in the whole 4-5 mile stretch.

Thanks in advance!

(Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 8.30.19 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 8.30.19 PM.png (43KB - 10 downloads)

2013-09-20 2:53 AM
in reply to: dozzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: FIrst Crash today! seeking advice.
The driver left without getting out to check if you're ok. IFAIK that's illegal. Also, there might be a liability issue in case something happened to your bike, and he should've stopped to resolve those.

But, if your bike is OK and you've only got a few rashes it may not be very productive or worth the time and effort to pursue the issue further.
2013-09-20 3:04 AM

User image

Tegaderm for your road rash.  That's the best advice I can give you.

Glad you are okay, but not sure what you can do about pursuing the driver of the car.  If you didn't hit their car (or the car didn't hit you) then I think the case just ends up being that you crashed on your bike.  The driver can technically deny everything you said as far as the specifics...especially since you're account of the story is already physically impossible.

I'm not defending the car's actions, or implying that you were at fault, but at 26.8 mph, you're traveling over 39 feet per second, which means there is a .75 second gap between the last rider and you according to your 30 foot estimate.  It's physically impossible for a car to make a left turn in front of you, come to a complete stop, and you still have time to avoid it in that short a time.  So clearly the gap was much larger than you have originally stated. 

What exactly are you expecting to get out of this?  You're okay, and your bike is fine?  Do you want the driver to get a ticket?  Are you planning to sue for new skewers, handle bar tape, brake levers, and bandages?  Technically he made a legal turn (I'm assuming it wasn't a no left turn) and it would be hard to prove he was at fault becomes it simply becomes a he said she said.  Also, if I was a third person reading your account, I could easily make the assumption that you were essentially street racing (you purposely dropped your group), you were the one not paying attention (on the aero bars where you possibly have limited visibility), the car was simply trying to make a left turn and you came barreling out of nowhere (possibly speeding at 26.8 mph with your head down) and you almost hit them.  Again...I'm not saying that happened, and I believe your account of the story...it's just that nobody has to believe you especially if the driver says differently.

Maybe just knock on the door of the house, introduce yourself, and ask the driver to please pay closer attention to possible bikers on the road and you will also do your part to ride safely, and only chase after guys, or drop your group when the roads are safer. 

Again, glad you are okay, your bike seems okay, and that it wasn't worse.  Ride safe.

2013-09-20 3:12 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

And a little off topic, but if this case was more serious, where the OP was seriously injured, most people would agree that it is NOT a good idea to post the specifics of the accident online and ask for advice.  If a defense lawyer discovered such a post, and tie it back to the plaintiff, the lawyer could use it as evidence especially if the plaintiff starts to change their story. 
2013-09-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
Aurora, Illinois
You are right on the gap between the last cyclist in the front group and me, it should had been longer.
I probably wont pursue anything further legally, since it is not worth the time.

Thanks for your input!

Today I woke up very sore but grateful that it is just that and nothing more serious.
The only thing that I am very upset about is why the driver of the vehicle just fled the accident, and not even check if I was fine.

2013-09-20 8:10 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by dozzman  By the way I am very careful on when to ride on the aero drops and when not, and this street and stretch would be an ideal place, because there is no traffic, no stop sign and no lights in the whole 4-5 mile stretch. Thanks in advance!

Looks like you disproved this assumption.

You were fortunate in this case.  Learn from it and move on.

Mark

2013-09-20 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Glad you (and the bike) are okay.  It's scarey when drivers seem to be irratic. 

When I'm riding I am very cautious and very defensive.  The last thing I want to happen is for someone to put on my gravestone: "But I had the Right of Way".

2013-09-20 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
First, glad you are ok.

In 2 vehicle accidents (which this isn't, as only 1 vehicle was involved) fault is almost ALWAYS on the vehicle that is in the rear.

Imagine if roles were reversed, you pulled out then had to brake and the car behind you either drove off the road to dodge you or hit you. Would you think you were at fault then?

You learned a good lesson that (if you are smart) will stay with you from now on. IF somebody has the potential to do something stupid, expect that they will do that. IMO as soon as you saw a car you should have been out of aero and near your brakes.

Again, sorry you wrecked and glad you are (mostly) ok, but from what you've written I don't think you've got anybody to blame other than luck, possible lack of practice in "emergency braking" (which you can and should practice) and yourself. (Although the driver driving off was douche-worthy)

YMMV of course.
2013-09-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap First, glad you are ok. In 2 vehicle accidents (which this isn't, as only 1 vehicle was involved) fault is almost ALWAYS on the vehicle that is in the rear. Imagine if roles were reversed, you pulled out then had to brake and the car behind you either drove off the road to dodge you or hit you. Would you think you were at fault then? You learned a good lesson that (if you are smart) will stay with you from now on. IF somebody has the potential to do something stupid, expect that they will do that. IMO as soon as you saw a car you should have been out of aero and near your brakes. Again, sorry you wrecked and glad you are (mostly) ok, but from what you've written I don't think you've got anybody to blame other than luck, possible lack of practice in "emergency braking" (which you can and should practice) and yourself. (Although the driver driving off was douche-worthy) YMMV of course.

This (in bold above).  I have learned the value of that statement while riding motorcycles in major metropolitan areas for 20+ years.  I follow that statement faithfully, especially since I am newer to cycling on a tri bike.  I'm also attempting to instill it in my kids as we bike together:  "There's a car in that driveway; be prepared to stop in case they start to move."  "There's a car parked on the side of the road up there; give it a wide birth in case someone flings open a door." etc...

2013-09-20 8:59 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by dbrook1

Originally posted by Leegoocrap First, glad you are ok. In 2 vehicle accidents (which this isn't, as only 1 vehicle was involved) fault is almost ALWAYS on the vehicle that is in the rear. Imagine if roles were reversed, you pulled out then had to brake and the car behind you either drove off the road to dodge you or hit you. Would you think you were at fault then? You learned a good lesson that (if you are smart) will stay with you from now on. IF somebody has the potential to do something stupid, expect that they will do that. IMO as soon as you saw a car you should have been out of aero and near your brakes. Again, sorry you wrecked and glad you are (mostly) ok, but from what you've written I don't think you've got anybody to blame other than luck, possible lack of practice in "emergency braking" (which you can and should practice) and yourself. (Although the driver driving off was douche-worthy) YMMV of course.

This (in bold above).  I have learned the value of that statement while riding motorcycles in major metropolitan areas for 20+ years.  I follow that statement faithfully, especially since I am newer to cycling on a tri bike.  I'm also attempting to instill it in my kids as we bike together:  "There's a car in that driveway; be prepared to stop in case they start to move."  "There's a car parked on the side of the road up there; give it a wide birth in case someone flings open a door." etc...

Good advice.  I'd also add "always pretend you're invisible and the car can't see you".  

Mark

2013-09-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Good advice.  I'd also add "always pretend you're invisible and the car can't see you".  

Mark

..Or assume they're actively trying to kill you.

2013-09-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Typically if you want something done you have to call the cops right then. Even if the other driver leaves you stay put, call the cops and get a report taken. Your group could serve as witnesses and back up your story in the he said he said. 

Now that you have left the scene yourself it would be hard to get a cop to do anything about it. He would have to rely solely on witness accounts and there is no damage to the car so it would be a tough sell. Probably not worth your time really.

My dad had someone turn left in front of him while he was riding his motorcycle at 50mph. He dodged them, ended up in a field, endo-ed and got beat up bad. 12 broken ribs, face mangled, shoulder separated, lung punctured, etc. The guy stops long enough to steal my dad's cell phone so he can't call it in then takes off. Someone saw it and knew the other driver, the cops paid him a visit, then did absolutely nothing about it. Hard to get them to charge without an actual collision. 

Anyway, glad you made it out okay, hope the bike checks out too!

2013-09-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Originally posted by RussTKD
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

..Or assume they're actively trying to kill you.

I like that one.  Gave me a good end of the week chuckle.  As the great Homer Simpson once said, "It's funny cuz it's true."

2013-09-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dozzman

My question would be what do you think I should do next.
In my opinion the car was at fault and caused me to crash.
Legally is there something I can do about it?
I wasn't badly hurt neither my bike, but the injuries I had could have been much worse.

Please give me your opinion on this.

Thanks in advance!

Not giving you legal advice, but you generally cannot sue for "what might have happened."

Edited by bwingate 2013-09-20 12:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIrst Crash today! seeking advice. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first bike crash today

Started by cscottjr
Views: 1939 Posts: 20

2010-07-03 10:54 AM cscottjr

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1735 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh

Newbie / bike commuter seeks training program advice

Started by yvr
Views: 722 Posts: 3

2004-10-28 11:12 AM Machiavelo

Brand New Newbie Seeks Equipment Advice

Started by Phileda
Views: 884 Posts: 2

2004-05-10 9:20 PM Machiavelo

beginner (seeking advice about a month ago...) Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 2014 Posts: 32

2004-03-29 1:42 PM tmwelshy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
How long before I will notice major improvement? How long in the sling? Should I do any kind of exercise or rehab while in your sling?

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : August 22, 2006
author : TriathlonRadio
In this episode we talk to Coach Joel from the BT.com forums. He talks about recovering after a bike crash and coaching.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.