General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commiting to Full Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-20 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Commiting to Full Ironman
So I am about to do my first HIM in October 27 and I have a feeling I am gonna want to sign up for a full after. All of my friends are volunteering at IMFL the weekend after and are going to sign up. I know I can do it physically and mentally. But I have concerns about committing that much time to training a year in advance.

I am very busy with work and my personal life. I know my significant other hated it this summer when I spent time biking instead of hanging out with him and the kids. So I would just skip my workouts all together. Is there another Ironman that maybe falls around the same time with just as flat of bike. I am from the area and bike the course regularly and I don't want any more hills than that! I hate hills! Maybe a race I don't have to fully commit until 4 or 5 months out. I would prefer an Ironman Brand if possible just because if I am gonna do it I want to say I did an Ironman not just an "Iron" Distance.

2013-09-20 9:23 AM
in reply to: rungirl222

User image

Subject: RE: Commiting to Full Ironman
If you can get over the branding, this is probably the best, nicest and most fun race I've ever done:

http://beach2battleship.com/

From one of the page:
The bike course is totally flat with the only elevation change taking place when participants finish the bike course by crossing a bridge on the way into the second transition area
2013-09-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
I have heard good things about that. Hows the bike? Hilly?
2013-09-20 9:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by rungirl222

the ride is completely flat - I have a co-worker who has done the Full there once and doing it again this year - she loves it. i'll be there doing the HIM for my first and already signed up for IM Chattanooga next year

the key thing is the support of your SO...if he had issues with your training for a HIM, then it probably isn't going to be any better (and likely worse) training for an IM.
2013-09-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Re-read my first post.

The two hills I remember are both overpasses on roads. The rest is 50' max climbs over a mile or so.

I've done both the half and full there. Loved both!

An HIM training plan is a good workout to more than keep in shape.
An IM training plan is a part time job. Seriously

Edited by DanielG 2013-09-20 9:37 AM
2013-09-20 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
I don't have any good advice on a race to race, but just want to wish you luck on the "family" front. It's so tricky to balance that long distance training with significant others. I used to be THAT spouse - I once told my wife "I think you love running more than you love me." But now we're both in this endurance world, and we both "get it." But it's tricky. Good luck!

2013-09-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
How quickly does beach to battleship sell out? Can I wait till spring maybe even early summer to fully commit?
2013-09-20 9:44 AM

User image

Couple years ago you could sign up for the full in June. It sold out around there.

2013-09-20 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by rungirl222 How quickly does beach to battleship sell out? Can I wait till spring maybe even early summer to fully commit?

You still have time.  It sold out this year, but not until about 1-2 months ago. 

Agree with what others have said, it is an awesome race, doing the Half again this year.  Flat like Daniel said besides the few overpasses.  And the community support is very impressive, lots of people parked on side of random streets ringing bells etc. 

2013-09-20 10:15 AM

User image

Miami
I had a similar dilemma (doing Miami Man on November 10th) and I finally signed up for Ironman Texas, which also has a very flat bike course. Registration is still open and I think last year it sold out around February.

Your partner may not like this idea, since I am sure he is excited about you being done with training after your HIM. But you can still take a few weeks off, then train for the full, and have all summer free to hang out with him and the kids, go on vacation wherever you want without thinking about training, etc.

If you are set on a late season Ironman for some reason (you have more time to train during summer, you want to do it with your friends, etc.), then as other members said, B2B may fit all your "musts" pretty well.
2013-09-20 10:33 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Veteran
Thanks. I like the idea you brought up about just getting it over with. Summer is the bulk of the problem we go to the beach every weekend and boat and that is what distracts me the most.

Only issue maybe finding training partners for those long long rides.

2013-09-20 10:59 AM

User image

Elite
The new challenge Atlantic city opens today, late June and flat as a pancake.....not only they say so I am originally from the area.You should go on IM website and look at races and courses as well a time of year......most north America races have hills except Florida and az.Regarding the family , you need to have husband on board being upfront about time commitment or you could have some troubles or fights.....my wife was supportive but not overly especially on the long bike rides.....I finished but probably could have prepared even more if it didn't stress the family as much
2013-09-20 11:16 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

Veteran
Tennessee

I am doing B2B in October, after training for a half in May my wife suggested since I had already built up a good a base I should go ahead and bite the bullet and do an ironman. We sat down and discussed the training and so forth. We also have two small kids. She has been nothing but 100 percent supportive. I think this last month is starting to get to her because all the long rides and runs. She told just the other day she can't wait to have her husband back. I have tried everything I can to take as little time away from the family. I guess as the athlete we don't realize how hard it is on the other one because we think we are doing all the "work".

2013-09-20 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Not sure about what race to race but I can comment on the SO issue.  I have a wonderful wife with three mostly behaved, but sometimes absolutely frickn ahole naughty, boys.  On the good behavior days, my wife loves the fact that she's "sleeping with an soon-to-be Ironman".  On the other days, the not so great to be a parent days, my wife would rather have me quit training so that I can deal with the brats. 

The withdrawals that I'm taking out of my Spousal Approval Unit account are tremendous and I know that I'm overdrawn in that account.  But if she was not as supportive as she is, I wouldn't have even considered signing up for IM. 

I have IMAZ in 58 days and I am hitting most of my workouts and I feel like I'm getting close to being ready.  I do miss one from time to time and it sucks when I do.  Ironman doesn't care about how busy you are, your obligations to family, friends, work, etc.  All Ironman cares about is 140.6.  If you don't have the SO support for a HIM then I would strongly suggest not signing up for an IM unless you get the full committment from you SO to be supportive.   

2013-09-20 11:48 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

BALANCE.  Very important with family.  If you can work out your schedule to meet the needs of your family and still get your workout in, then you have done well.

It is VERY hard.  I'm married with 3 young sons with active lifestyles and a dog.  The guilt is always hanging over me.

2013-09-20 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Thanks. I like the idea you brought up about just getting it over with. Summer is the bulk of the problem we go to the beach every weekend and boat and that is what distracts me the most.

Only issue maybe finding training partners for those long long rides.

Is there a reason you need a training partner for the long rides? I did almost all of mine solo, but I suppose I'm used to that, so it doesn't really bother me at all. It gives you a lot of time to think at least!

Also, if summer is an issue, I'd definitely join in on the recommendations to do an earlier race next year. Presumably you live in or near FL, so I'm assuming you can ride outside year round. That is HUGE! I'd say take advantage of that and then you can relax with the family over the summer.

2013-09-20 12:49 PM

User image

I have a feeling I am gonna want to sign up for a full after.

But I have concerns about committing that much time to training a year in advance.

I am very busy with work and my personal life.

I know my significant other hated it this summer when I spent time biking instead of hanging out with him and the kids.

So I would just skip my workouts all together.

I snipped out your post a bit for effect...hope you don't mind.  The last 4 sentences somewhat contradict with the first.  IMs are not going anywhere.  Realize that this is likely a 9-12 month commitment for most people first timers since they need to take the time to build up a sufficient base.  Realize that you're paying to do this.  It should be fun.  It should be something that your family members support you with.  If this is simply something that's going to strain your personal life and career and also cause you to perform below your expectations...I don't know why you would do it.

Just my 2 cents.

2013-09-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
As others have said, having the family buy in is very important for IM training. Getting ready for an Ironman, flat course or not, takes a lot of training. It would have been very hard if my family hadn't been (mostly) bought in. There are really two different dates to think about when you say "committing to Full Ironman." Yes, there is the date you have to sign up. But, also, there is the date to start getting ready. IMO it would be hard to go from very little training 4-5 months out to fully committed to Ironman training. Consistency over a long period of time is key to a successful day at Ironman. I don't mean competing, I just mean making it not a sufferfest. I would think whether you've signed up or not, you'll probably want to be committed to it further out than 4-5 months. Just something else to think about.
2013-09-20 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

I just signed up for IM Moo, which will be my first.  I had the talk with my wife and she is on board.  I told her that I will still be around for helping out with kids homework, soccer practice, etc.  Time management skills for me are going to be very crucial.  Which means, lots of trainer rides/dreadmill runs in the basement at wee hours of the am before work during the winter months leading up to early spring.  Lunch time swims/strength training.  Like others have mentioned, it will be the long weekend rides that might be a problem.  I even suggested that I would wake up on Saturdays early, crank out 2-3hours on the trainer before sun up, then get the rest done and be back home to do family life by 10am.  The long sunday runs are not going to be as troublesome initially, but once the duration gets up there will be during summer months.  Now my kids are 9 and 6 yo, which I think makes a difference pending your own situation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-09-20 1:16 PM
2013-09-20 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Realistically speaking you've already got a good idea weather or not you'll be able to do a full distance race next fall now. No matter when you do it the dedication of time is going to be there. Not at all saying ignore your significant other just saying at some point or another if you want to do a full you'll have to dedicate that time. Also I don't know your particular work schedule, but I've managed to work 40 hr/week and get my training in for IMFL while still having free time. FWIW I don't have kids and can't imagine how those that do manage this. I guess everyone's different about riding partners too. I did my first long group ride 2 weeks ago and wasn't a fan (there were a lot of people and it made me nervous). Tomorrow I'll do a 100 solo and foresee it being a little more enjoyable. Guess I'm a loner

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-09-20 4:42 PM
2013-09-22 1:18 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I understand how you feel. I want to do an IM distance race too. I am training for my first HM right now, and in January, I am planning to start the HIM plan to do Raleigh 70.3 in June. I know my wife will get tired of the long training, so I'm trying to figure out if I should plan for IM Lou in late August of next year too. That would leave just enough time for the HIM to IM bridge training plan, and that way I can get it all done in one year. The benefit of no kids will only be around for so long!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commiting to Full Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Ironman before Full Ironman

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1133 Posts: 4

2012-06-19 10:17 AM BigDH

1 year for Full IronMan

Started by bazalt
Views: 1556 Posts: 22

2009-08-22 10:59 AM furiousferret

M-Dot tat only for full Ironman? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by JBrashear
Views: 7403 Posts: 99

2008-09-16 6:26 AM Motivated

Sprint to full or half Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by allez
Views: 2320 Posts: 29

2007-02-03 2:59 PM allez

Beginner Full Ironman Plan Notes...

Started by Ron
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2005-04-05 1:09 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Full Ironman nutrition strategies.

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.