General Discussion Race Reports! » Trifecta Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Trifecta Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Graford, Texas
United States
Cadence Sports, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = 87/174
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

My racing and travel buddy, KP, and I arrived Saturday and got checked in and signed up for the pasta dinner. After trying to figure out the transitions and where everything was located, we tried to find a place to camp. KP and I have camped prior to a tri before, but this experience was unique to say the least. KP acquired a tent attachment for the bed of his Chevy Avalanche. So we loaded the back with sleeping bags, lots of padding and a couple fans. Don't worry, we slept in different bags with heads at either end. No funny business! After enjoying the pasta dinner and meeting lots of people from Abilene, we went to our newly found "camping spot", set up the tent and found a place to borrow electricity to power our fans. We set up our camping chairs and watched a movie to pass the time.
Event warmup:

After a decent nights worth of "camping sleep" (you campers know what I mean), we woke up about 5:15 to tear stuff down and get to transition. This tri had a different transition for T1 and T2, so we dropped off our T2 bags and made sure T1 was set up. I ate a banana and a cliff bar with some Gatorade. I attempted to stretch on a park bench, but it was unfortunately covered with sapp from the nearby tree so I became fairly sticky. My only option was to spit in my hands and try to "rinse" a few spots clean.
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was unfortunately too warm to be wet suit legal, so I just swam in my tri suit. It was an approximate rectangle, but you wouldn't know it from my watch swim path. The picture looked more like a shaky old man's drawing of a foot.

I couldn't seem to stay on course very well. Every time I got into a rhythm with my breathing and stroke, I would sight only to see how off course I was. Almost very time I sighted, I wasn't exactly where I wanted to be. Also, I couldn't get in a good drafting zone to take advantage of others around me.
What would you do differently?:

I really needed more OWS practice and practice sighting specifically. Overall I am fairly pleased with my time, but if I would have had a better line and been able to capitalize on drafting I could have performed significantly better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

After getting out of the water and heading up the carpet, I saw a few familiar faces. It was nice to get a few cheers of encouragement while running the long transition from the water up to my bike.

30 OA in T1; 4/14 in AG - pretty pleased with this time

Not much different to do here. I could have moved faster, but I am pleased with this performance.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I remember reading this course was supposed to be fairly flat. I guess these locals have never been out to west Texas. There were many rolling hills, but the slight wind on the way out was nice to help add a little speed. One monster hill at the turn of the bike had to be the steepest hill I have ever ridden up. I slowed to 5 mph trying to get up this thing. Luckily we got to turn around and ride down after the climb. After the hill, i had a sudden sting in my left big toe. I thought I had been stung by a bee! It hurt so bad I stopped and took off my shoe to check if something was caught in there. I didn't find anything so i got going again. I prayed for relief and continued on my merry way. The roads were rough early on the bike then again toward the end. Overall a challenging bike course.

I was close to the middle of the pack, which is typical for me. I could have pushed harder at times, but I was conserving energy for the run. Ultimately I wouldn't change this bike on race day, but I could have trained more in preparation.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was slowed getting into T2 as there were a couple of bikers walking their bikes in through the funnel into transition. After making it in, the racks were really close, creating a difficult path to my spot on the rack in the middle. After racking my bike, I had to squeeze by a few others in transition to make it out.

16 OA in T2; 3/14 in AG - I'm very happy with this.

Request more room! I took an extra few seconds to make sure all my gear was off the ground. This event was a "clean" transition where everything had to be kept in bags. I wanted to make sure I left my area clean so I didn't get penalized.
Run
  • 1h 17m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Now for the fun. This was a trail run plain and simple. Over 3 miles of this 10k run was on a trail that I would have trouble riding a four wheeler through. Some of the hills were over 45 degrees steep and both up and down had rocks and even steps.

I was able to traverse the trail run, although I was completely ill prepared. I even slipped while trying to lightly jog down one hill. I wasn't hurt and was able to pop right back up off my hands, but it was precarious running on gravel. At every aid station I poured water on my head to keep cool and drank at least one cup of water. Hydration was good. However, after struggling through a lot of the trail run I was exhausted by the time I hit the pavement. I was able to run most of it, but at a pretty slow pace. Regardless of how much energy I had, I picked up the pace the last quarter of a mile and sprinted hard through the finish chute. I love hearing the announcer appreciate my strong finish.

Practice trail running.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, I accepted my medal and put a wet towel around my neck. Then I walked down the finish chute to watch the always entertaining KP finish. I drank lots of water, ate some orange slices and then had some chocolate milk. Later KP and I had a beer and got a burger. We caught up with a few other Abilene finishers and chatted about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The trail run was definitely my Achilles heel of this race. I was on track to perform as I had hoped until I began traversing through the mountains of PK.

Event comments:

After completing the race, I realized it wasn't poorly organized. However, before the race there was much confusion. I can't imagine doing this race as a newbie. I rated this race as average because I don't think the trail run was well advertised for what it was. The post race activities, aid stations and volunteers really made up for a lot of the negatives of this race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 81/174
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:24 | 24.85 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 95/174
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, mostly out and back course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:17:37 | 06.2 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 92/174
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-20 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Trifecta Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trifecta Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trifecta Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by mdmestas
Views: 683 Posts: 1

2013-09-18 9:40 AM mdmestas

Trifecta Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mirahan
Views: 851 Posts: 3

2013-09-16 11:36 AM mirahan

Trifecta Triathlon

Started by Stude
Views: 811 Posts: 1

2012-09-17 11:31 PM Stude

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1908 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2173 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.