General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pacific Grove, California
United States
Tri-California Events
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 40s
Overall Rank = 134/598
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/48
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed at about 4:30 AM. Ate some cereal, toasted bagel, and a PowerBar. Sipped on Gatorade. Petted my cat. Packed up my stuff, left home at about 5:45. Arrived in Pacific Grove at about 7. It was still a little foggy.
Event warmup:

Jogged, stretched, swam for about 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 29m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The kelp didn't seem quite as thick this year. I stayed relaxed for the first 200 meters or so and didn't waste a lot of energy in the initial scrum. My first goal was to finish the first lap before the next wave started (15 minutes after my wave start). I cleared the beach exit/turnaround/re-entry point with about a minute to spare -- happy about that. I felt pretty relaxed on the second lap and again finished ahead of the next wave start (goal #2). Very happy to finish the swim in under 30 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I pretty much swam to my current ability and fitness level. Everything went as expected. Good start. No complaints
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Bike
  • 1h 17m 14s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs felt stiff when I first got on the bike. At first, I wasn't too concerned. I just tried to relax and hope I'd fall into a groove by the first turn-around. Unfortunately, my legs went from stiff to sore -- my quads in particular. I'm not sure what the problem was. I hadn't done any hard riding in more than a week. But I never came close to hitting my goal speed. Disappointing. But I guess that comes with the territory in triathlons... It was still a fun ride though! :-)

I probably should have just gutted it out and not worried about my legs. I ended up struggling in the run anyway. I had a couple of good hard bike and run workouts about two weeks prior to the race. But my legs never seemed to fully come back to life again. I probably need to put more time and effort into stretching, massage, and recovery nutrition. At least, I hope that's the problem...
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Run
  • 53m 24s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping my legs would somehow magically come to life during the run. For the first two miles, they did -- I managed to hold about an 8 minute/mile pace, which was my goal. But when I started the second lap, I knew I wasn't going to hold it. My quads tightened up again, and I slowed down noticeably. From that point on, I just tried to hold form and enjoy the run as best I could. I was hoping to go under 50 minutes, but I didn't even come close. Still, the scenery and the atmosphere in Pacific Grove is so amazing that it's impossible not to have fun.

I'm not exactly sure what went wrong. I'm going to take a closer look at my training and make some adjustments. My running is just not where I want it to be.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank a lot of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still trying to figure this one out! I'll just focus on the positive for now -- I had a good swim. Also, I beat my overall time from last year and the year before.

Event comments:

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove is a great race. Even though I didn't do as well as I hoped, I still had a blast. Watching the pros race is as much fun as participating.

Last updated: 2013-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/48
Overall: 214/598
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Triangular counter-clockwise course in Lovers Point Cove -- two laps. Crawl through keep Exit water between laps. Repeat.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:14 | 25.5 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/48
Overall: 131/598
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out-and-back six-mile course -- four laps. Rolling, curvy seaside hills overlooking Monterey Bay. The longest straight section on the course is maybe 200 yards. Turn-arounds are pace-busters (two per lap). Course is a little longer than 40K. Every Garmin reading I've checked comes out to about 25.5 miles.
Road:   Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:24 | 06.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/48
Overall: 258/598
Performance: Below average
Course: Two-mile looped out-and-back course -- three laps. Great scenery. Some rolling hills and wind.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-20 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

2013-09-21 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4860590

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course
Nice job on the swim, and you beat your past times, so that is a good day! Congrats on the race, now to pick a 70.3 for you! The volume needed for that will also likely help you at the Oly distance too.
2013-09-22 1:28 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

Originally posted by kmac1346 Nice job on the swim, and you beat your past times, so that is a good day! Congrats on the race, now to pick a 70.3 for you! The volume needed for that will also likely help you at the Oly distance too.

Thanks for the encouragement, kmac! Boise, maybe? Yep, some volume -- and speed work -- would be of great help. I'll keep working at it...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Course

Started by TTom
Views: 1383 Posts: 3

2013-09-16 1:53 PM mcmanusclan5

Started by sdswriter
Views: 1125 Posts: 2

2013-06-21 5:41 PM clydecat

Started by nbo10
Views: 950 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 10:51 PM BigDH

Started by TTom
Views: 1418 Posts: 1

2012-09-09 9:33 AM TTom

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

Started by dutch
Views: 1579 Posts: 3

2006-09-18 6:54 AM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.