General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Drive? or Fly? Before Raceday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-21 12:04 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Long Drive? or Fly? Before Raceday
Guys/Gals

I have been thinking about future events. We have a good number of events that are about 6 to 7 hrs. drive away ex. Redman,Branson Rev. I am
just thinking out loud either driving or Flying both have benefits and both have disadvantages, Flying i would say is most convenient
then the cost is significantly high Plane Fare,Bike oversize fee ,rent-a-car its a minimum of $600.00. Driving far would save me the
$600.00, but the toll on your body driving for 7 hours before the race i would say is significant.

Thoughts Feedback??

Cheers

Carl

2013-09-21 12:15 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Long Drive? or Fly? Before Raceday
I've driven up to 8 hours to race. Personally I find the hassle and expense of flying to outweigh the time savings, unless I'm going really far away I prefer to just drive.
2013-09-21 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA

The amount of time it takes to fly 400 miles vs. drive is a wash between packing up your bike, upacking your bike twice, driving to airport, parking, clearing security, ect. Cost of parking, ticket, over priced bike fees, renting car that can handle a bike box all adds up quickly.

It would have to be a lot farther than a 5-7 hour drive to have me consider flying over driving.

Flying always have possibility of misplacing your bike, damaging it, ect when transporting it. In your own vehicle you have more control and risk is less.

2013-09-21 1:17 PM

User image

I've driven 4 hours regularly for races.

I've driven up to 12 hours but I left two days earlier and it worked out great.

You might want to try flying with a bike before you make any decisions about it and what's worth driving

2013-09-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Payson, AZ
That short a time driving it'd be no question for me.  I'd be driving.  I hate the hassle of flying with a passion.  The time sitting around waiting at the airports, in lines, sitting on the plane.  Add it all up, is it really that far off the driving time?
2013-09-21 1:59 PM

User image

I've only driven to races; most have been within a few hours, but one was in Florida - a 14 hour drive (split over 2 days). Unless it's cross country - requires 2 or more 8 hour days in the car, I'll be driving.
You mentioned 6-7 hours away by car; Compare that to the time flying:

* Drive to airport - 30 minutes
* Get to airport 1 - 1.5 hours before flight
* Flight - 2 hours, assuming you can find a direct flight
* Shuttle to rental place - 15 minutes

So just in time you're at 3-4 hours for flying. Not to mention the hassle of suitcases, limited space, bike box, unpacking/cleaning/packing bike.

Cost wise with just 1 person it might be a wash for flying if you can find reasonable tickets; but once you get 2 or more people; even with the US governments 55 cents per mile for driving (which would be about $400 for a 6-7 hour drive round trip) you'd have to find some cheap flights and rental car.

2013-09-21 3:34 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by DanielG I've driven 4 hours regularly for races. I've driven up to 12 hours but I left two days earlier and it worked out great. You might want to try flying with a bike before you make any decisions about it and what's worth driving :)

Yup, this.  I would drive instead of fly anywhere in the country.  If you're worried about the car time, break it up into shorter days and get a little run or ride in your overnight spot(s). 

I really like to drive, and I've got no bike wrenching skillz (yet!), so it's a nobrainer for me.

2013-09-21 4:10 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Redman I would definitely drive. Branson I would probably drive too, but I'm guessing that will be a little longer drive. It took me 9-10 hours to drive from Cypress area to Fayetteville, AR by myself with 1 stop for reference. But it's a decent drive, so I would drive unless I could get a great deal on a flight and sucker a college buddy into driving me around.

Timing would be key. Hit Houston and Dallas at the wrong time, and the drive is terrible. Time it right, and you've got pretty decent drives.
2013-09-21 4:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by apglave

Redman I would definitely drive. Branson I would probably drive too, but I'm guessing that will be a little longer drive. It took me 9-10 hours to drive from Cypress area to Fayetteville, AR by myself with 1 stop for reference. But it's a decent drive, so I would drive unless I could get a great deal on a flight and sucker a college buddy into driving me around.

Timing would be key. Hit Houston and Dallas at the wrong time, and the drive is terrible. Time it right, and you've got pretty decent drives.
[/QUOTE

Hi Page!!!! im Carl!!! nice to meet you

You did good on our last Sprint!!! Tri!!

"sucking up to get a ride on next out of state event LOL!! joke "

seriously you did well!

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-21 4:33 PM
2013-09-21 6:46 PM

User image

Drive - easy decision...but then, I used to have a 1-2 hour commute to work one way a day (if I hit traffic), so sometimes I was in the car for 3-4 hours a day...

if its more than about a 12 hour drive, i MIGHT consider flying, but there is just something about being on the open road in the car, seeing the sights, the landscape change
2013-09-21 7:40 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Hi Carl. Thanks! You did well too.

Bad thing about Houston is how many things are drivable...and since I liked doing the tri as much (or more) as I thought I would, I'm looking forward to the next one. Just have to keep figuring out the training around family thing

2013-09-22 9:41 PM
in reply to: apglave

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by apglave

Hi Carl. Thanks! You did well too.

Bad thing about Houston is how many things are drivable...and since I liked doing the tri as much (or more) as I thought I would, I'm looking forward to the next one. Just have to keep figuring out the training around family thing

Katy Tri this coming Sunday,
I won't be there but maybe at Oktoberfest Tri

Cheers

"Thanks Guys/Gals for all the feedback"
2013-09-22 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Not even a question to me - drive!

Between the packing up of the bike and all of your gear, getting to and from the airport, the amount of time you have to be there before your flight... and then the potential worry/hassle of having the TSA inspect your bike box for the flight...  unless it's something over 8-10 hours away, I'll always choose to drive. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Drive? or Fly? Before Raceday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WKO+ vs Raceday

Started by running2far
Views: 1514 Posts: 3

2009-05-01 12:54 PM running2far

Ladies: hairdos for raceday Pages: 1 2

Started by meblack
Views: 1608 Posts: 26

2009-03-12 12:16 AM skarl

Long Run and Flying

Started by CKinsey
Views: 4314 Posts: 5

2008-07-13 10:25 PM AMcNeice

Raceday prep

Started by jkprice
Views: 645 Posts: 2

2008-03-08 10:37 AM dgunthert

raceday checklist

Started by stretchdew
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2007-05-14 9:06 PM hosayif
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 11, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Craig Alexander's New Book As the Crow Flies Tells the Inside Story of His Championship Season

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Chest Fly - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.