General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Atlanta Masters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-21 4:55 PM

Subject: North Atlanta Masters
I'm looking for a good coached and active masters swimming program in the Roswell, Milton, Alpharetta area. Specifically looking for something that starts around 6am ET.

I swam with the Fowler YMCA masters years ago, but I'm not sure if it is still active. Tried Dynamo, Alpharetta, and it was more of an independent swim.

Are there any good programs out there that folks would recommend?

2013-09-21 5:28 PM
in reply to: Bcestes

User image

Subject: RE: North Atlanta Masters
I'm interested in this too. I usually swim at the fowler ymca and can see the board they put the sets for masters. Not ever having been to a class and really only knowing how to freestyle, it looks intimidating. Seems like they use all the strokes. I have heard that dynamo chamblee masters is mostly triathletes and the girl that holds the record for IM swim time swims there, but not sure which session.

Also, if I can add a question about masters -- do I need to learn all the strokes to go to one? I know to expect different sets of sprint type drills. Is there anything else I should know not to really embarrass myself. ( I already would embarrass myself with just lack of speed).
2013-09-21 5:56 PM
in reply to: CptSnoopy

Based on what you said, it sounds like Fowler still has an active program. I'll check back in there. When I swam there about 10 years ago, it was all strokes and we swam in a few meets.

Now I'm more interested in Triathlons so I prefer freestyle.
2013-10-07 9:36 AM

User image

Master
I swam with Swim Atlanta Roswell Masters this spring and it was fun. The workouts averaged 3300 yards and with little exception we each had our own lane. The other swimmers all also swam with the Roswell Rapids adult summer league. Coach Kyle gave stroke pointers and yelled encouragement as well as writing the workout and playing the radio for us. I was the slowest person there (my 100 free sprint time is in the 1:30 range, maybe a little less), and my strokes were not amazing, but it was fun to try to keep up with the fasties. I got a GREAT workout. It is better to have a working knowledge of all of the strokes for this group, though.

If you want more information about the Roswell pool, call the phone number and speak with Sabrina. The email for Coach Kyle does not always work.
2013-10-18 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

Bcestes: Sorry for the late reply here. When did you go to the Masters workout in Dynamo Alpharetta? I ask because I am the NEW Masters coach for the morning group (5:30-7am) in Alpharetta. I started late August when the pool reopened, so hopefully you checked it out before then, otherwise let's chat offline so I can get your perspective and improve the program.

Dynamo Alpharetta has 2 Masters programs
5:30-7am on Mon/Tu/Th/Fri that I coach. I tend to break up the workouts into 2 groups. The "below 1:30 per 100" side which will have a faster interval but they also do all of the strokes (if you don't know them but are still fast you're welcome to just do freestyle). The other side is is pacing >1:30's. That group usually does all freestyle as it is a mix of triathletes/fitness swimmers/cross trainers. I toss in a good mix of long and short stuff so everyone is a bit more well rounded.

8:30-10am on Mon/Wed/Fri that is led by Nancy. Nancy has been leading this group for years and they are all really fond of her and speak highly of her. She breaks things into an A, B, and C group based on ability. Everyone leaves on the same interval, it's just broken up as such...
12x50 on 50"
A: does all of them
B: Do 3, skip the 4th, repeat
C: Every other 50.

So I highly suggest you come out and give Dynamo Alpharetta a second try. You get the first 3 or so sessions for free. My name is Andrew Shanks, hope to see you on deck! Also follow up with me if you have any follow up questions.

2013-10-18 7:40 AM
in reply to: CptSnoopy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

Originally posted by CptSnoopy I'm interested in this too. I usually swim at the fowler ymca and can see the board they put the sets for masters. Not ever having been to a class and really only knowing how to freestyle, it looks intimidating. Seems like they use all the strokes. I have heard that dynamo chamblee masters is mostly triathletes and the girl that holds the record for IM swim time swims there, but not sure which session. Also, if I can add a question about masters -- do I need to learn all the strokes to go to one? I know to expect different sets of sprint type drills. Is there anything else I should know not to really embarrass myself. ( I already would embarrass myself with just lack of speed).

CptSnoopy,

I promise it is LESS intimidating than it looks! Here's some answers to your questions. Also read my reply to the OP about the Alpharetta location for Dynamo.

Strokes: If all you know is freestyle then that is totally fine.
Chamblee: Yes most of the triathletes swim here, there are also some really fast, former collegiate, swimmers. Yes Haley Chura swims there, usually in the AM masters group but I've heard she makes a lunch appearance every once in a while. Maria is the coach and she is amazing. I go on Wednesday's when I'm not coaching in Alpharetta.
Other tips:
- Proper equipment: Please bring a set of fins, a buoy, and some paddles. You can grab a kick board when you're there since there are a bunch laying around.
- Introduce yourself to the coach before jumping in. That way they know who you are, what your goals are, and how they can help you improve.
- Provide feedback: At least for myself I like feedback. If you are looking to do a particular set (longer swims, kick sets, more pulling) then I'd like to know so I can make that happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

2013-10-19 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4860923

Andrew - I tried Dynamo Alpharetta over a year ago. It sounds like there have been some good changes and I'll give it another try. Thanks.
2013-10-21 8:35 AM
in reply to: Shanks

User image

Thank you for the answers! I will try it at one of the dynamos probably in December. Getting ready for my last race in a few weeks so I am just hanging on right now and then just need some time off from pushing hard -- it has been a long season, thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Atlanta Masters Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP! Need Atlanta Masters Swimming

Started by stephgob
Views: 923 Posts: 3

2012-12-14 2:53 PM BryanB

Swim Atlanta Masters

Started by 15step
Views: 1095 Posts: 4

2012-04-27 11:29 AM Rocket Man

Best/ Closest masters swimming in atlanta

Started by ATLrunr
Views: 4796 Posts: 21

2009-06-29 8:13 AM lawyerchick

North Atlanta Tri Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 4640 Posts: 95

2006-01-31 7:17 AM Rocket Man

Let's ride Sunday, North Atlanta

Started by Chuck C
Views: 1072 Posts: 6

2005-04-08 5:31 PM csmaurer99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : February 28, 2005
author : infosteward
Sometimes the best way to master something is to be around people who are masters of it. For non-swimmers - there is the Master’s Swim group.
date : February 13, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The most common question I hear in the triathlete world about the mysteries of swimming efficiently usually involves something with breathing.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!
date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.