General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT shapen up to be a doozy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-09-25 12:53 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: IMLT shapen up to be a doozy

Originally posted by LittleCat I get to wear one of the DFL capes. Last girl in AG 40-44 to bring it home at 16:56:33. My day got quickly more brutal when I kicked an underwater rock a couple minutes into the start and broke 2 toes. With the water so cold and my feet numb from the beach I just thought that I would have a couple more black toe nails. I also had unfinished business after DNF'ing in the swim at St. George last year so I wore my IMSG swim cap under my Tahoe one. My swim, after the breaking of my toes, went fine. It was pretty amazing rolling for a breath and seeing snow capped mountains! Getting out was brutal and cold. I skipped the strippers and went straight to the tent and holy mother of god it was insane. It was a standard IM size womens change tent which is fine if the weather is nice, but not for everyone doing a full change. Naked, cold shivering women covering every inch, bike cloths everywhere. But got it done in about 20 mins. The bike, oh the bike was cold. I had full winter gear on but was still cold, warmed on the climbs only to lose it on the decents. I'm a strong climber so passed alot of folks. Second lap when the wind picked up my asthma decided it wasnt going to behave. Slowed back and just held on for the ride. Got in at 5:05pm. The latest I've ever come in on an IM by 2 hours!! The run was mostly a speed walk. Stopped to see a medic at mile 3 because I had yet to even look at my toes. On the bike as long as I didnt wiggle them I was fine. The run was eye opening! Medic took one look and said 'these 2 are broken, no question.' He put bandaids on the one that also had the nail mostly torn off so it would stay. My legs felt decent but knowing that while my toes were broken, they were clean, straight breaks and I didnt want to make it worse so I trotted a little, power walked alot. I'm also an ultra runner so I can walk fast. I had an elic meltdown at mile 13. I was freezing, it was pitch black, was exhausted and my toes hurt so bad. I sat down and just cried. I wanted to go home and be warm. Somehow I got up and kept going. When I came to the Squaw turn around I knew I could finish, I could not afford to stop for any reason My finish, I came around the bend, heard Mike Riley say my name but the crowd drowned him out screaming 'you are an Ironman!' I got past the cameras, my catcher wrapped a mylar blanket around me, I walked over to the barrier, sat down and just cried. I was in so much pain and really mentay overwhelmed. It wasnt the race or finish I envisioned but I wouldnt change a thing.

When i grow up i want to be you.  Amazing...

2013-09-25 6:03 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by turtlegirl

this is just crazy!!!  Epic for sure. I hate cold weather racing, and I can't imagine dealing with it in uphills and downhills.

You guys are wicked tough for finishing. Quite a badge of honor!

x2 agree!

Hang this medal someplace special because this achievement is really something to remember.

I love how in the midst of all the chaos everyone can still recall the beauty of the course. Makes me want to go there and visit... in my car, with the heater on Wink.

2013-09-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: tri.bob

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by tri.bob  My first tri was May of 2012 and after I saw IMLT get announced I figured it was a worthy goal. My plan was a Marathon last Dec (California International), an Oly Tri in May, a 1/2 in July and then this one.

Wow Bob, you have had some interesting weather for your big races!  Between the Monsoon Marathon (aka CIM 2012) and this last Sunday, you are due for a "perfect weather" race!

2013-09-25 11:03 AM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Linda and Suzanne, all I can say is, "Thank you, you made my day today."

After reading your experiences, I am both incredibly impressed and VERY inspired - so: THANK YOU!

Matt

2013-09-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I was out there Sunday as well. My expectations for the race were low as I didn't train nearly as much as I should have. I moved and changed jobs this year so I was very worried coming into the day. I also added some challenge by not change my cassette .... and I place by bike in transition without covering it.... so my front shifter was frozen solid on race morning.... didn't realize until I made the first climb up Dollar in my big ring I also managed to miss T1 and swim right by the paddle boarders making a run for the other side of the lake. When I realized my error I added about 5-7 minutes to my swim. Even with all that I had a good day..... not a PR by any stretch .... but it was beautiful out there and I met a ton of awesome people. I really loved the guy doing the entire bike in his full wetsuit. I know he stayed warm. I didn't really run much of the marathon as my legs were shredded from the bike.... so now I didn't get my long run in for the Chicago Marathon. Hopefully my long walk on Sunday was good enough
2013-09-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: rafikichapman

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by rafikichapman I was out there Sunday as well. My expectations for the race were low as I didn't train nearly as much as I should have. I moved and changed jobs this year so I was very worried coming into the day. I also added some challenge by not change my cassette .... and I place by bike in transition without covering it.... so my front shifter was frozen solid on race morning.... didn't realize until I made the first climb up Dollar in my big ring I also managed to miss T1 and swim right by the paddle boarders making a run for the other side of the lake. When I realized my error I added about 5-7 minutes to my swim. Even with all that I had a good day..... not a PR by any stretch .... but it was beautiful out there and I met a ton of awesome people. I really loved the guy doing the entire bike in his full wetsuit. I know he stayed warm. I didn't really run much of the marathon as my legs were shredded from the bike.... so now I didn't get my long run in for the Chicago Marathon. Hopefully my long walk on Sunday was good enough

Congratulations!  Sounds like you are in for a big fall!  Good luck in Chicago

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT shapen up to be a doozy Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3071 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Look what UPS brought me today!

Started by DRM
Views: 2196 Posts: 19

2006-01-11 9:07 PM vortmax

I love pre-race carb-ups :)

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1063 Posts: 4

2005-09-09 2:29 PM CindyK

Bench Presses or Push Ups?

Started by David_Zen
Views: 1996 Posts: 17

2005-01-13 3:23 PM Darr

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1195 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
comments : 0
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.