General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT shapen up to be a doozy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-09-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: IMLT shapen up to be a doozy

this is just crazy!!!  Epic for sure. I hate cold weather racing, and I can't imagine dealing with it in uphills and downhills.

You guys are wicked tough for finishing. Quite a badge of honor!

2013-09-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Been there, did that!

I agree with the other first-hand reports. 

The race was epic.  An overused term, but I think it fits.  I may have a new record for T1 -29 minutes - and I didn't even get a mimosa.  Tents were way too small, and DARK.    Had to wait OUTSIDE, in a speedo, barefoot (29 degrees) to get into the tent....where there were no chairs, no volunteers.  The athletes all helped each other.  I think put 4 other bras on - and somebody put on mine!  Hundreds of freezing, naked women.  EVERYONE changed completely, and many had wet clothes to change into, because it rained/snowed on our bike gear overnight.  I did double bag, but a volunteer must have knotted the second bag, and it froze shut. - very tough to open.  NOT a pretty scene.  Several I saw were pulled for hypothermia before they even got to their bikes, thanks to T1. The swim itself was gorgeous beyond words, and not cold at all.  Loved it, best part of my race.

DNF numbers range from 21-35%, depending on what you read.  I had many friends there, and several didn't make it.  Hard day for all.  I'm a 6:30-7:00 IM biker, and at 8:10ish, I almost missed the cutoff.  Brutal.  I have a standard crank, but I did change out the back cassette a couple of weeks ago after a practice ride on the course on my 12-25 - went with a 11-32 and was VERY grateful for those gears. Had some problems with the chains, which cost me some time on the side, but I made it.

Run was good, felt strong for most of it.....skipped at one aid station, danced through 3 more, and hugged my son at his station!  Kcbell screaming for me helped hugely, (ESPECIALLY on the bike finish - I could FEEL her relief that I made it, it mirrored mine - cut that one WAY TOO CLOSE.  She could have lied about missing the finish......I would never had known!!  I felt strong running through the village at the end, hope that I get to see video of it.

They do need to make some changes - and I've heard that the Martis climb (which we didn't get to even SEE before the race) will be eliminated, it's private property and the owners weren't happy.  The 1 mile add on at Carnelian Woods was a bad road, and that should be changed.  They need to do something about the run trail - it was stunningly gorgeous, pretties run I've ever done, but darker than dark.  Headlamps weren't helping much, and once you were back on the road, oncoming traffic was blinding.  I tripped once out by the resort, and saw multiple others trip and go down.

I also heard that people were swept from the course BEFORE The hard cutoffs, on the premise that they couldn't make it.  One that I know had a shredded flat, so her pace wasn't great, but if you took that time out, she had no worries about making the 5:30 cutoff, and they pulled her at the 98 mile point.  THAT stinks.

I FROZE, wore more clothes than I ever have, dug deeper than I thought possible, and grinned for most of it.  Speedo guys at the top of Brockway were great!!

I'm not doing 2014 - taking a year off from IM distance, as is hubby (who did a 13:08, down from a 11:08 IM PR).  But I wouldn't rule it out.  The course itself was brutal, but fair.  Logistics just need to be changed.

2013-09-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: velcromom

Expert
Marin County, California
I get to wear one of the DFL capes. Last girl in AG 40-44 to bring it home at 16:56:33. My day got quickly more brutal when I kicked an underwater rock a couple minutes into the start and broke 2 toes. With the water so cold and my feet numb from the beach I just thought that I would have a couple more black toe nails. I also had unfinished business after DNF'ing in the swim at St. George last year so I wore my IMSG swim cap under my Tahoe one.

My swim, after the breaking of my toes, went fine. It was pretty amazing rolling for a breath and seeing snow capped mountains! Getting out was brutal and cold. I skipped the strippers and went straight to the tent and holy mother of god it was insane. It was a standard IM size womens change tent which is fine if the weather is nice, but not for everyone doing a full change. Naked, cold shivering women covering every inch, bike cloths everywhere. But got it done in about 20 mins.

The bike, oh the bike was cold. I had full winter gear on but was still cold, warmed on the climbs only to lose it on the decents. I'm a strong climber so passed alot of folks. Second lap when the wind picked up my asthma decided it wasnt going to behave. Slowed back and just held on for the ride. Got in at 5:05pm. The latest I've ever come in on an IM by 2 hours!!

The run was mostly a speed walk. Stopped to see a medic at mile 3 because I had yet to even look at my toes. On the bike as long as I didnt wiggle them I was fine. The run was eye opening! Medic took one look and said 'these 2 are broken, no question.' He put bandaids on the one that also had the nail mostly torn off so it would stay. My legs felt decent but knowing that while my toes were broken, they were clean, straight breaks and I didnt want to make it worse so I trotted a little, power walked alot. I'm also an ultra runner so I can walk fast. I had an elic meltdown at mile 13. I was freezing, it was pitch black, was exhausted and my toes hurt so bad. I sat down and just cried. I wanted to go home and be warm. Somehow I got up and kept going. When I came to the Squaw turn around I knew I could finish, I could not afford to stop for any reason

My finish, I came around the bend, heard Mike Riley say my name but the crowd drowned him out screaming 'you are an Ironman!' I got past the cameras, my catcher wrapped a mylar blanket around me, I walked over to the barrier, sat down and just cried. I was in so much pain and really mentay overwhelmed.

It wasnt the race or finish I envisioned but I wouldnt change a thing.
2013-09-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

Pro

Linda and Suzanne -

I'm in awe. You are both amazing!

2013-09-24 12:23 PM

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by LittleCatI get to wear one of the DFL capes. Last girl in AG 40-44 to bring it home at 16:56:33. My day got quickly more brutal when I kicked an underwater rock a couple minutes into the start and broke 2 toes. With the water so cold and my feet numb from the beach I just thought that I would have a couple more black toe nails. I also had unfinished business after DNF'ing in the swim at St. George last year so I wore my IMSG swim cap under my Tahoe one. My swim, after the breaking of my toes, went fine. It was pretty amazing rolling for a breath and seeing snow capped mountains! Getting out was brutal and cold. I skipped the strippers and went straight to the tent and holy mother of god it was insane. It was a standard IM size womens change tent which is fine if the weather is nice, but not for everyone doing a full change. Naked, cold shivering women covering every inch, bike cloths everywhere. But got it done in about 20 mins.The bike, oh the bike was cold. I had full winter gear on but was still cold, warmed on the climbs only to lose it on the decents. I'm a strong climber so passed alot of folks. Second lap when the wind picked up my asthma decided it wasnt going to behave. Slowed back and just held on for the ride. Got in at 5:05pm. The latest I've ever come in on an IM by 2 hours!! The run was mostly a speed walk. Stopped to see a medic at mile 3 because I had yet to even look at my toes. On the bike as long as I didnt wiggle them I was fine. The run was eye opening! Medic took one look and said 'these 2 are broken, no question.' He put bandaids on the one that also had the nail mostly torn off so it would stay. My legs felt decent but knowing that while my toes were broken, they were clean, straight breaks and I didnt want to make it worse so I trotted a little, power walked alot. I'm also an ultra runner so I can walk fast. I had an elic meltdown at mile 13. I was freezing, it was pitch black, was exhausted and my toes hurt so bad. I sat down and just cried. I wanted to go home and be warm. Somehow I got up and kept going. When I came to the Squaw turn around I knew I could finish, I could not afford to stop for any reason My finish, I came around the bend, heard Mike Riley say my name but the crowd drowned him out screaming 'you are an Ironman!' I got past the cameras, my catcher wrapped a mylar blanket around me, I walked over to the barrier, sat down and just cried. I was in so much pain and really mentay overwhelmed.It wasnt the race or finish I envisioned but I wouldnt change a thing.
You are one BAMF. That is an amazing race report and every time I see your handle now I will smile and think about how freakin tough and tenacious you are. Just awesome. I hope you're healing and recovering well

2013-09-24 12:26 PM

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by velcromom

Been there, did that!

I agree with the other first-hand reports. 

The race was epic.  An overused term, but I think it fits.  I may have a new record for T1 -29 minutes - and I didn't even get a mimosa.  Tents were way too small, and DARK.    Had to wait OUTSIDE, in a speedo, barefoot (29 degrees) to get into the tent....where there were no chairs, no volunteers.  The athletes all helped each other.  I think put 4 other bras on - and somebody put on mine!  Hundreds of freezing, naked women.  EVERYONE changed completely, and many had wet clothes to change into, because it rained/snowed on our bike gear overnight.  I did double bag, but a volunteer must have knotted the second bag, and it froze shut. - very tough to open.  NOT a pretty scene.  Several I saw were pulled for hypothermia before they even got to their bikes, thanks to T1. The swim itself was gorgeous beyond words, and not cold at all.  Loved it, best part of my race.

DNF numbers range from 21-35%, depending on what you read.  I had many friends there, and several didn't make it.  Hard day for all.  I'm a 6:30-7:00 IM biker, and at 8:10ish, I almost missed the cutoff.  Brutal.  I have a standard crank, but I did change out the back cassette a couple of weeks ago after a practice ride on the course on my 12-25 - went with a 11-32 and was VERY grateful for those gears. Had some problems with the chains, which cost me some time on the side, but I made it.

Run was good, felt strong for most of it.....skipped at one aid station, danced through 3 more, and hugged my son at his station!  Kcbell screaming for me helped hugely, (ESPECIALLY on the bike finish - I could FEEL her relief that I made it, it mirrored mine - cut that one WAY TOO CLOSE.  She could have lied about missing the finish......I would never had known!!  I felt strong running through the village at the end, hope that I get to see video of it.

They do need to make some changes - and I've heard that the Martis climb (which we didn't get to even SEE before the race) will be eliminated, it's private property and the owners weren't happy.  The 1 mile add on at Carnelian Woods was a bad road, and that should be changed.  They need to do something about the run trail - it was stunningly gorgeous, pretties run I've ever done, but darker than dark.  Headlamps weren't helping much, and once you were back on the road, oncoming traffic was blinding.  I tripped once out by the resort, and saw multiple others trip and go down.

I also heard that people were swept from the course BEFORE The hard cutoffs, on the premise that they couldn't make it.  One that I know had a shredded flat, so her pace wasn't great, but if you took that time out, she had no worries about making the 5:30 cutoff, and they pulled her at the 98 mile point.  THAT stinks.

I FROZE, wore more clothes than I ever have, dug deeper than I thought possible, and grinned for most of it.  Speedo guys at the top of Brockway were great!!

I'm not doing 2014 - taking a year off from IM distance, as is hubby (who did a 13:08, down from a 11:08 IM PR).  But I wouldn't rule it out.  The course itself was brutal, but fair.  Logistics just need to be changed.

Great RR and great insights. I was wondering if the women got naked too. I love that you danced through the aid stations--that's a great visual! Congratulations on this one--it really does sound like it was epic
2013-09-24 12:32 PM

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Originally posted by LittleCat

I get to wear one of the DFL capes. Last girl in AG 40-44 to bring it home at 16:56:33. My day got quickly more brutal when I kicked an underwater rock a couple minutes into the start and broke 2 toes. With the water so cold and my feet numb from the beach I just thought that I would have a couple more black toe nails. I also had unfinished business after DNF'ing in the swim at St. George last year so I wore my IMSG swim cap under my Tahoe one.

My swim, after the breaking of my toes, went fine. It was pretty amazing rolling for a breath and seeing snow capped mountains! Getting out was brutal and cold. I skipped the strippers and went straight to the tent and holy mother of god it was insane. It was a standard IM size womens change tent which is fine if the weather is nice, but not for everyone doing a full change. Naked, cold shivering women covering every inch, bike cloths everywhere. But got it done in about 20 mins.

The bike, oh the bike was cold. I had full winter gear on but was still cold, warmed on the climbs only to lose it on the decents. I'm a strong climber so passed alot of folks. Second lap when the wind picked up my asthma decided it wasnt going to behave. Slowed back and just held on for the ride. Got in at 5:05pm. The latest I've ever come in on an IM by 2 hours!!

The run was mostly a speed walk. Stopped to see a medic at mile 3 because I had yet to even look at my toes. On the bike as long as I didnt wiggle them I was fine. The run was eye opening! Medic took one look and said 'these 2 are broken, no question.' He put bandaids on the one that also had the nail mostly torn off so it would stay. My legs felt decent but knowing that while my toes were broken, they were clean, straight breaks and I didnt want to make it worse so I trotted a little, power walked alot. I'm also an ultra runner so I can walk fast. I had an elic meltdown at mile 13. I was freezing, it was pitch black, was exhausted and my toes hurt so bad. I sat down and just cried. I wanted to go home and be warm. Somehow I got up and kept going. When I came to the Squaw turn around I knew I could finish, I could not afford to stop for any reason

My finish, I came around the bend, heard Mike Riley say my name but the crowd drowned him out screaming 'you are an Ironman!' I got past the cameras, my catcher wrapped a mylar blanket around me, I walked over to the barrier, sat down and just cried. I was in so much pain and really mentay overwhelmed.

It wasnt the race or finish I envisioned but I wouldnt change a thing.

WOW!
2013-09-24 12:35 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by wannabefaster Don, I live and train in Michigan. I did precisely zero training at altitude. I was nervous about what was going to happen so I did the Boulder 70.3 about seven weeks out as a trial run for racing at altitude. It went well so I didn't change much about my race plan. The other thing that I have heard people talk about is training to climb hills. Well, I don't have much in the way of hills around me ( and I do a lot of work on the trainer). What I did was a lot of work at 90% of my threshold, especially 20 minute intervals. It turns out that is almost exactly what I needed to climb the major summits, 20 minutes at 90% threshold. My ability to climb the hills in spite of my lack of hill training really drove home the "watt is a watt" statement that people have made in the past. All in all, a very rewarding race to have done

Sensitivity to altitude changes are as individual as variations in heart rate and sensitivity to the heat and cold.  I've been camped at 7,000-8,000 feet during hunting trips in Colorado, and I didn't seem to mind it much, but that was 20 years ago and I was hiking, not swimming, biking, and running.  My uncle, who was my current age back then, got deathly ill, so there also may be a question of whether our sensitivity to altitude changes with age.

Considering the investment in time and money involved in IM, I personally would hedge my bets by spending a week training at altitude, as I mentioned in my other post.

Yes, you're right, a watt is a watt.  You don't need to train on hills to be successful on a hilly course.

2013-09-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

I'm tearing up over these stories.

So amazing!
2013-09-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I was out there the entire day as a spectator.  My hubby and a good-sized group from our team planned to sign up for next year, so we all volunteered. 

We made it to the swim start, which was breath-takingly beautiful.  I understand race officials were encouraging athletes to go into the nearby rec center until they were ready to start in order to keep warm.  Friends who were racing seemed to have pretty typical swim times, and they all say it was a great swim once they got started. 

I didn't see the change tents, but it seemed a 15-20 minute T1 was pretty common.  An athlete one of our friends coaches spent 45 minutes in T1.  Hearing about the conditions in the tent explains (perhaps) some of the folks we saw heading out on the bike in their wet tri kits with armwarmers.  We all commented on how that seemed insane, given the temps.  I would still say everyone needed a full change, and long-sleeve gear.  We were at King's Beach until about 9:15.

We were scheduled to volunteer from 11-6 at the farthest out run aid station (~mile 9.5/10.5), and were able to drive the opposite direction on the bike course to get back to Tahoe City, grab some gear from one of the houses we were using (near Sunnyside), grab sandwiches from Tahoe House, and get to the aid station with plenty of time to spare.  Perhaps the traffic got worse later?

Once we got the aid station set up, we had a lot of time until the pros were expected, so we helped out at the Bike Special Needs, which was on the street adjacent to our station.  Some folks told us they still couldnt't feel thier feet, a lot of people said their hands were numb.  It seemed gloves were getting wet, likely sweaty, and then cold.  From this, I would say to have extra gloves in special needs.

The pros were about an hour behind the time they were originally expected at our aid station.  Once they did come through, there was a substantial gap between the pros and AGers, and it was quite awhile before the AGers were coming in a steady stream.  While the sun was out, it was nice and warm--we all stripped down to t-shirts.  When we were in the shade, it was cold.  Everytime the sun ducked behind a tree, we were pulling layers back on, and there is a fair bit of tree cover on the course (not just at our station). This made us even more concerned about the racers who were dumping water and ice over thier heads.  We kept wanting to yell "NO!" 

For some reason, the aid station coordinators (college students) wanted to wait until 3:30 to start heating up the chicken broth, despite our repeatedly telling them we needed to get it going.  Once we started to offer it, broth was the hottest ticket item at the station.

We had a fire fighter, a nurse, and an EMT in our group, and they treated two athletes for hypothermia (including a pro) while waiting for the official medical team before we left the aid station, which turned out to be about 7:00 but was before sundown.  One of those athletes had two layers of arm warmers that were soaked.  I would recommend at least a windbreaker-type jacket in T2 that can be tucked in a jersey pocket or tied around your waist for racing in this weather.  Warmer layers were needed before special needs.

We grabbed dinner before heading to Squaw.  At the restaurant, we met one athlete who had been pulled, and another who was celebrating her finish with her family.  A pretty stark contrast. 

We got to the finish line at about 9:00, and stayed until Mike Riley shut it down, banging on the boards, cheering in the lady who finished about 30 seconds after midnight bent at the waist, and getting weapy when we spotted the guy who was going to cross the line about 3 minutes too late. 

This is certianly not a race for a time PR.  Improvement over prior races should be based on how you place in your AG, not time.  Friends who finished around 14:10-14:15 still made the top 1/3 of thier age groups.  A gal who finished in 12:20 got a Kona spot, having finished 3rd in her AG.

I was so incredibly inspired by all those who raced on Sunday.  The passion and perserverence on display was humbling.

Everyone in our group who had planned to register yesterday did, having watched it all unfold first-hand.  Of course, yesterday it was near 80 degrees in the afternoon, which is more typical of this time of year.  I'll be spectating next year, as it is hubby's year to go long, and we will plan for the full range of weather possibilities.  I am hoping the run course will return to what was originally planned: a single lap that continued along the West Shore, running at several points right along the lake.  This will add one significant hill on the out, but eliminate duplication of the hills in and out of Squaw.

Wow, that ended up lengthy, but wanted to share my impressions and lessons learned as a spectator, fwiw!

2013-09-24 2:26 PM

Champion
MA

Linda,

What an epic day and so glad you enjoyed your day in parts.

Dancing at aid stations, riding that nice big 11-32 cassette, and embracing the challenges of the day...you rock!

Enjoy the special post IM time knowing accomplished something huge and incredible!

2013-09-24 2:28 PM

Champion
MA

Suzanne, no doubt about it you are one tough, determined women that rises to any challenge put in your path.

Congrats on being part of the epic first IMLT! And a finisher!!!

2013-09-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: KathyG

Master
, California

Yes, you're right, a watt is a watt.  You don't need to train on hills to be successful on a hilly course.

Sort of.

The trouble is, if you don't train in altitude and don't get a practice / course preview, then you don't know what your real threshold is.  With your numbers massively skewed, it's easy to be in the red zone and not know it.

My HR didn't go over 150 all day even when I pushed too hard trying to get warm.  Normally my LT is around 167 at sea level. And my power was down by about 25 watts.  But by the time I was able to reconcile any of that, it was too late.

Cold + altitude + bike gearing (I rode a 7:03, but using a 39-27... stupid) all combined to end my chances of a run, particularly once the sun was off me.

2013-09-24 2:44 PM

2013-09-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-24 2:48 PM

2013-09-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: swgtri

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by swgtri

I was out there the entire day as a spectator.  My hubby and a good-sized group from our team planned to sign up for next year, so we all volunteered. 

We made it to the swim start, which was breath-takingly beautiful.  I understand race officials were encouraging athletes to go into the nearby rec center until they were ready to start in order to keep warm.  Friends who were racing seemed to have pretty typical swim times, and they all say it was a great swim once they got started. 

I didn't see the change tents, but it seemed a 15-20 minute T1 was pretty common.  An athlete one of our friends coaches spent 45 minutes in T1.  Hearing about the conditions in the tent explains (perhaps) some of the folks we saw heading out on the bike in their wet tri kits with armwarmers.  We all commented on how that seemed insane, given the temps.  I would still say everyone needed a full change, and long-sleeve gear.  We were at King's Beach until about 9:15.

We were scheduled to volunteer from 11-6 at the farthest out run aid station (~mile 9.5/10.5), and were able to drive the opposite direction on the bike course to get back to Tahoe City, grab some gear from one of the houses we were using (near Sunnyside), grab sandwiches from Tahoe House, and get to the aid station with plenty of time to spare.  Perhaps the traffic got worse later?

Once we got the aid station set up, we had a lot of time until the pros were expected, so we helped out at the Bike Special Needs, which was on the street adjacent to our station.  Some folks told us they still couldnt't feel thier feet, a lot of people said their hands were numb.  It seemed gloves were getting wet, likely sweaty, and then cold.  From this, I would say to have extra gloves in special needs.

The pros were about an hour behind the time they were originally expected at our aid station.  Once they did come through, there was a substantial gap between the pros and AGers, and it was quite awhile before the AGers were coming in a steady stream.  While the sun was out, it was nice and warm--we all stripped down to t-shirts.  When we were in the shade, it was cold.  Everytime the sun ducked behind a tree, we were pulling layers back on, and there is a fair bit of tree cover on the course (not just at our station). This made us even more concerned about the racers who were dumping water and ice over thier heads.  We kept wanting to yell "NO!" 

For some reason, the aid station coordinators (college students) wanted to wait until 3:30 to start heating up the chicken broth, despite our repeatedly telling them we needed to get it going.  Once we started to offer it, broth was the hottest ticket item at the station.

We had a fire fighter, a nurse, and an EMT in our group, and they treated two athletes for hypothermia (including a pro) while waiting for the official medical team before we left the aid station, which turned out to be about 7:00 but was before sundown.  One of those athletes had two layers of arm warmers that were soaked.  I would recommend at least a windbreaker-type jacket in T2 that can be tucked in a jersey pocket or tied around your waist for racing in this weather.  Warmer layers were needed before special needs.

We grabbed dinner before heading to Squaw.  At the restaurant, we met one athlete who had been pulled, and another who was celebrating her finish with her family.  A pretty stark contrast. 

We got to the finish line at about 9:00, and stayed until Mike Riley shut it down, banging on the boards, cheering in the lady who finished about 30 seconds after midnight bent at the waist, and getting weapy when we spotted the guy who was going to cross the line about 3 minutes too late. 

This is certianly not a race for a time PR.  Improvement over prior races should be based on how you place in your AG, not time.  Friends who finished around 14:10-14:15 still made the top 1/3 of thier age groups.  A gal who finished in 12:20 got a Kona spot, having finished 3rd in her AG.

I was so incredibly inspired by all those who raced on Sunday.  The passion and perserverence on display was humbling.

Everyone in our group who had planned to register yesterday did, having watched it all unfold first-hand.  Of course, yesterday it was near 80 degrees in the afternoon, which is more typical of this time of year.  I'll be spectating next year, as it is hubby's year to go long, and we will plan for the full range of weather possibilities.  I am hoping the run course will return to what was originally planned: a single lap that continued along the West Shore, running at several points right along the lake.  This will add one significant hill on the out, but eliminate duplication of the hills in and out of Squaw.

Wow, that ended up lengthy, but wanted to share my impressions and lessons learned as a spectator, fwiw!

This is GREAT info.  Thank you so much for posting it.  I've been thinking how exciting it would have been to volunteer at this course--good call!  Very interesting to hear that all from your group signed up who were planning on it.  That's a pretty strong vote right there.  Good luck to your husband next year!
2013-09-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: switch

Looks like the 2014 registration is open and I'm debating whether to take the plunge and sign up. This would be my first IM and likely the only one I can afford, since I live about 90 minutes from Tahoe -- travel and lodging costs would be negated.
2013-09-24 9:30 PM
in reply to: spooling

Champion
MA

Originally posted by spooling Looks like the 2014 registration is open and I'm debating whether to take the plunge and sign up. This would be my first IM and likely the only one I can afford, since I live about 90 minutes from Tahoe -- travel and lodging costs would be negated.

Are you a FOP cyclist in local tris?

From observing this year, being a strong cyclist is key to have a successful IMLT.

2013-09-24 10:27 PM

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I volunteered as your friendly neighborhood bike catcher on Sun. Being somewhat local and knowing how tough the bike was likely to be I decided this would be a good spot to gauge the toll taken prior to the run, not to mention the many friends and family competing that I was there to support. I was surprised by the sheer number coming off the bike within 30 mins of the cutoff though some of these looked physically better than others with faster times that may have out raced their training. Several local athletes that I know said they still struggled with Brockway summit 2x despite having trained on it for the past year. After the cutoff two large moving trucks brought in the bikes pulled from the course...they were filled with at least 150 or so bikes. I give a lot of credit to those that suffered through and finished. As for the bike catchers, I'm hopeful that WTC will work through the lessons learned with this inaugural race. They need volunteer captains with experience, and in addition to a few things noted by others, the bike racks were at least 150 yds from the bike finish. One of my fellow catchers had her garmin and logged over 13 mi during our 6 hr shift...needless to say, that was a lot to ask of volunteers with no rotation, breaks or water provided, but as always very rewarding helping the athletes and those that wanted it definitely got their long run in...
2013-09-24 10:27 PM

Veteran
I volunteered as your friendly neighborhood bike catcher on Sun. Being somewhat local and knowing how tough the bike was likely to be I decided this would be a good spot to gauge the toll taken prior to the run, not to mention the many friends and family competing that I was there to support. I was surprised by the sheer number coming off the bike within 30 mins of the cutoff though some of these looked physically better than others with faster times that may have out raced their training. Several local athletes that I know said they still struggled with Brockway summit 2x despite having trained on it for the past year. After the cutoff two large moving trucks brought in the bikes pulled from the course...they were filled with at least 150 or so bikes. I give a lot of credit to those that suffered through and finished. As for the bike catchers, I'm hopeful that WTC will work through the lessons learned with this inaugural race. They need volunteer captains with experience, and in addition to a few things noted by others, the bike racks were at least 150 yds from the bike finish. One of my fellow catchers had her garmin and logged over 13 mi during our 6 hr shift...needless to say, that was a lot to ask of volunteers with no rotation, breaks or water provided, but as always very rewarding helping the athletes and those that wanted it definitely got their long run in...

2013-09-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: Captain Morgan

Veteran
Sorry for the double post...
2013-09-24 10:55 PM
in reply to: switch

This was the race that got me to sign up as a Silver member at BT, lots of lurking over the past year and lots of tips picked up.

My first tri was May of 2012 and after I saw IMLT get announced I figured it was a worthy goal. My plan was a Marathon last Dec (California International), an Oly Tri in May, a 1/2 in July and then this one.

stats: 57, male, starting weight 205 current weight 185

All of the tri's were a lot of fun but IMLT will of course be the one I remember forever as the biggest challenge (I guess until my next one).

Since I never did a race with 2000+ people in it I thought that T1 was normal but then again I wasn't in a hurry, I wanted to be warm and dry on the bike.

I am lucky enough to live about 90 miles from Brockway summit and so was able to ride it 3 times before the race, I knew that it was just a slow long hill and to take my time.

I didn't get nearly enough running in and went with the motto of walk the hills, funny how everything looked like a hill after awhile :-)

I had a really really good time and owe a big thanks to all the volunteers and spectators, the putting of the name on the race number was really smart, I got a lot of 'way to go bob's' throughout the run.

I hope they don't change anything, next year it will be hot and people will probably complain about the heat but my thought was that it was supposed to be hard.

I have to say that the views from all 3 legs were awesome, the snow on the mountains during the swim, the fog was surreal and the views on the bike and run were really nice.

I finished in 15:19 and spent the last 1.5 miles or so walking with a great athlete from Napa who's headlight went dead on her (Hi Margaret), we had a good talk and I knew that I was going to finish and only wanted to make sure I could run through the village.

It was a long but fun day for sure, I would do it again but need to catchup on lots of chores first. Kudos to my wife and son for letting me take the time to do this race.

Thanks to the BT group for having answers and patience for newbie's.

bob
2013-09-24 10:56 PM

Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by spooling Looks like the 2014 registration is open and I'm debating whether to take the plunge and sign up. This would be my first IM and likely the only one I can afford, since I live about 90 minutes from Tahoe -- travel and lodging costs would be negated.

Are you a FOP cyclist in local tris?

From observing this year, being a strong cyclist is key to have a successful IMLT.

Ha! I wish I was anywhere near FOP on the bike! We go camping several times per year in the Tahoe area, so I'm familiar with the terrain everyone is speaking of. Definitely have my work cut out for me.
2013-09-24 10:57 PM
in reply to: spooling

Originally posted by spooling

Looks like the 2014 registration is open and I'm debating whether to take the plunge and sign up. This would be my first IM and likely the only one I can afford, since I live about 90 minutes from Tahoe -- travel and lodging costs would be negated.

That was my exact thought, it was local, I could train on parts of it and I didn't have to add in the cost of airfare, etc.

If you can afford it and get in the hours you'll have a great time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT shapen up to be a doozy Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Look what UPS brought me today!

Started by DRM
Views: 2193 Posts: 19

2006-01-11 9:07 PM vortmax

I love pre-race carb-ups :)

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1057 Posts: 4

2005-09-09 2:29 PM CindyK

Bench Presses or Push Ups?

Started by David_Zen
Views: 1988 Posts: 17

2005-01-13 3:23 PM Darr

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1190 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
comments : 0
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.