United States
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This event was a tour rather than a race but being the longest ride for my wife and I, it was a good challenge to see where we were in our fitness. We both had a protein shake when we got up and then on the way and then on the way we had a couple of nutritious donuts :-) We would need a few extra carbs, right? It was a short 20 minute drive to the event.
Event warmup:

Warm up was just a short bike ride from the parking area to the starting area and since we went ahead and lined up in the back of the pack we had a good 5 minutes or so of slow peddling to get he blood flowing to the legs.
Bike
  • 2h 51m
  • 31 miles
  • 10.88 mile/hr
Comments:

While we're no stranger to exercise it has been some time since we've been in a regular routine. July 1st marked the start of a self structured program and 31 miles would be the longest ride ever. Up to this point the longest was 20 miles. I probably have the ability to pace at 1 to 2 MPH faster than my wife but I ride at her pace so we can enjoy the day together. Everything went well and I was taking in about 250 calories per hour with a mix of Gatorade, cliff bar and bananas they had at the stops. We stopped at each of the aid stations that were spaced about 10 miles apart. I felt great through mile 23 when we stopped for an extended time period at the last aid station as she needed additional rest. Once back on the bikes it was 8 miles of feeling like the quads were going to lock up at any minute. Did some stretches on the bike and was able to make it to the finish without cramping. Both of us finished and best of all we had a great time. It was a lot of fun being out on the road with so many other cyclist. Really looking forward to the next tour.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing as the goal was to finish our longest ride to date and we achieved that while having fun and not feeling like death at the end. Not sure if the feeling of about to cramp was nutrition related or if maybe it was just from pushing the quads further than they have ever been asked to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Just used the slow peddle back to the car, loaded the bikes back up and some light stretching. Once seated in the car for a bit the quads loosened up pretty fast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness base. We have not been riding that long and still building that fitness base. The engines are getting better but still have a long ways to go and still need to lose some more weight. The ultimate goal will be to trade in the hybrid bikes for road bikes, put more time in the saddle, get some trainers, put more time in the saddle and work up to the century rides. I'm already looking at a 35 miles tour ride for the beginning of November.

Last updated: 2013-09-05 12:00 AM
Biking
02:51:00 | 31 miles | 10.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly shallow rolling hills with a few good climbs past the half way point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-22 11:01 AM

Subject: Cotton Patch Challenge (Tour)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cotton Patch Challenge (Tour) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tour of Utah Ultimate Challenge

Started by brappleye3
Views: 904 Posts: 1

2012-08-29 3:32 PM brappleye3

Mutual Community Challenge Tour (STAGE 4 TOUR DOWN UNDER)

Started by Casie
Views: 1624 Posts: 4

2009-02-04 1:17 AM kaqphin

Cotton Patch Classic

Started by sportysue
Views: 816 Posts: 5

2007-09-17 8:23 AM aestritx

Cotton Patch Classic

Started by aestritx
Views: 909 Posts: 3

2007-09-17 9:46 PM sportysue

Cotton Row Run

Started by rcbtri
Views: 1060 Posts: 4

2004-06-02 1:18 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...