Rev3
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 1s
Overall Rank = 42/177
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3 a.m., pancake with peanut butter and coffee. Drive to T2, arrived at 5 am. Set up and took shuttle to T1. Set up as usual except everything on ground as bikes are held by rear tire racks. 48 degree morning air temp. Hoodie and pants stayed on until about 30 min. prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Donned wetsuit with about 30 minutes to race time. 1 1/2 scoops of GenUcan consumed. Walked down to beach and waded into water which was warm (about 76 degrees) Deep breathing and dynamic arm stretching. Goggles defogged and cap applied 2 minutes prior to my wave start.
Swim
  • 38m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sighting was difficult. As stated above, there was light fog on the water and there were not enough sighting buoys placed along the course. Had to breast stroke a little just to see where to go. Swimmers seemed to be everywhere, and it felt as though I was zigzagging in the water unable to swim in a straight line. Given the situation though, I felt comfortable, smooth, confident, and relaxed. Caught swimmers from the wave before me before making it to the first turn buoy. Contact with other swimmers was near zero.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Ran into T1 while it seemed everybody else was walking. Seemed slow because of having to place wetsuit and swim gear into transport bag. Tried to put on sunglasses, but immediately fogged up due to cool air temps. Held them in my mouth for about the first 5 or 6 miles of the bike leg.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

As a friend said to me on the MS ride a couple of weeks ago: You only start out with so many watts, and when you use them all up, you're done. I kept that in mind as I made my way up and down the hills along with "save the legs for the run."
Another bottle of GenUcan on the bike along with 12oz Redbull. One water bottle pitched and replenished at aid station. 5 Nutter Butters.
I don't ride with a power meter, I'm scared of what it might tell me.

Get a more hill-friendly rear cassette.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Felt good immediately off the bike. Bike shoes and helmet off immediately and running shoes on quickly. Grabbed another small bottle of GenUcan and drank it on the way out. GPS watch set for pacing.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 51m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Sunny cool weather helps. Passed a number of people on the run course that were pounding it up those hills on the bike. Legs and perceived exertion felt good and in sync. Along the course I took my own water in a large fuel belt bottle, which I didn't need, but used occasionally. I took additional water from the aid stations as well as a total of 4 salt tabs at two different times. A very small amount of Gatorade mainly for taste, and probably 3 cups of coke. The last 5K I caught a second wind of sorts and was able to finish the run out strong.

Nothing, felt good throughout.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down in the shade for a few minutes drinking water and talking with my kids. Walked around the finish line area and talked to several people from our multsport club. Post race food was soft tacos. Didn't sound good, but I ate part of one just to have something in my stomach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see: time to train, fitness, age, beer, etc.

Event comments:

Good support and organization. I'm very happy Rev3 took this race from IM. It's a great venue and although you will not PR here because of such a challenging bike course, it has a great swim, beautiful scenery, and a run that is looped so you can see all of your friends and family multiple times. Well worth the money. You won't be disappointed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 52/177
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: 1 loop clockwise with 2 turns. Light fog on the water along with sparsely placed sighting buoys made it hard to swim straight. Sun directly in your eyes as you made the turn back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:13:59 | 56 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 44/177
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills. To start off I knew I had the wrong gearing on my bike for this course. My plan was to take it easy going up and stay in the saddle, then have a fast smooth descent and let my momentum carry me long into the next hill. Nearly 3 full loops on the High Road completely closed to motor traffic. Beautiful scenery. Long climbs and fast descents.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:03 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 42/177
Course: Just shy of 3 loops along flat lake side landing, road, and park. Lots of support.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: Rev3 Branson

2013-09-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4861958

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Branson
sounds like a great race! Congrats!
2013-09-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4861958

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Rev3 Branson
Nice running out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Branson Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Branson

Started by tmoran80
Views: 3509 Posts: 4

2010-09-22 10:17 AM chichitao

Ironman 70.3 Branson

Started by scotty930
Views: 2304 Posts: 6

2010-09-21 11:15 AM QueenZipp

Ironman 70.3 Branson

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 1312 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 8:50 PM ranger5oh

Ironman 70.3 Branson

Started by mjgardner
Views: 2074 Posts: 6

2010-09-21 10:51 AM Whizzzzz

Ironman 70.3 Branson

Started by hamman
Views: 1239 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 3:04 PM hamman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race