United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 1/13
Age Group = Aqua Bike
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with a former client of mine the night before. Went out in his boat and hung out with the fam the day before. It was a lot of fun.

I have been having an issue over the past week or so where something has been going on with my side. I think I may have torn or strained one of my abs. With Kona only a couple weeks ago, I didn't want to make it any worse and it only really seems to bother me when I'm running so I opted for the aqua bike.
Event warmup:

Not much time for a warm up. The lines were long for packet pick up so pretty much only had time to get myself and my wife (she was doing her first duathlon) setup.
Swim
  • 15m 13s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was extremely foggy in the morning and they were considering canceling the swim. With how foggy it was, I thought they were going to. They ended up changing the Olympic distance swim to be 2 loops of the sprint swim. This including exiting the water and then running along the beach all the way back to the start. So my swim is ridiculously fast, but I think the distance may be accurate because we ran for at least a tenth maybe .2 miles.

I started out strong and was the 2nd person to the first buoy. There was another person close to me and I was hoping I could do some drafting, but he must have faded at the pretty bad because I dropped him pretty quickly and the 2nd closest swimmer ended up being a little over a minute behind me. The guy out in front of me stayed pretty far out in front of me. I was hoping I could catch him on the run back to the second loop, but he still kept a pretty good gap. By the end, he was just under a minute ahead of me.

I ran a bit too hard down the beach before the 2nd lap and was a little winded when I got back in the water. It is a bit challenging transitioning from the water to running to back in the water.

Overall, I'm content with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

They have not posted transition times and I goofed on my watch so I'm not sure what my transition time was. It went fine.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 7s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 23.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt ok on the bike. I definitely did not push as hard as I could have. This was a solid Olympic tri distance effort, but definitely had plenty in the tank at the end. I was a little bit concerned about my side issue so I didn't want to over do it. I felt it a little bit on the first lap, but it felt pretty good on the 2nd lap.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder. I definitely left some speed out there.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no transition times so I'm not sure. I wasn't sure what I needed to do to finish the aqua bike. I kind of took my time because I knew there wasn't anyone very close to me. I ended up jogging barefoot through a pretty rocky trail so I took it slow.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Aqua bike, so no run. I was curious how the good of a runner the guy that was in front of me was. He ended up running a sub 36 run split so there is no way I would have caught him. Probably would have ended up losing to him by at about 3 minutes and would have taken 2nd.
What would you do differently?:

Run! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out and waited for my wife to finish the duathlon. I got a good video of her finishing up.

Event comments:

The RD did a great job with this race. Yes, events were late, but that was because of the fog. This a very fun, low key, local race. They offer a bunch of distances now so there is something for everyone.

Last updated: 2013-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:13 | 1500 meters | 01m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 2/13
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSevnty Helix
Course: 2 Loop rectangle swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:07 | 26.3 miles | 23.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 3/13
Performance: Below average
Avg Power: 284 Avg Cadence: 93
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops relatively flat, but one solid little climb
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/13
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Pitch Pine Challenge Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pitch Pine Challenge Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pitch Pine Challenge Sprint Triathlon

Started by PeakTriCoaching
Views: 811 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 1:17 PM wbayek

Pitch Pine Challenge Sprint Triathlon

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 1000 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 12:29 PM mjengstrom

Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 959 Posts: 3

2011-09-26 8:26 AM mjengstrom

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 1090 Posts: 3

2011-09-27 10:16 AM natethomas2000

Started by PeakTriCoaching
Views: 1324 Posts: 4

2011-09-26 3:37 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.