General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-23 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Subject: New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever!
This weekend on 9/21/13 at ChesapeakeMan Endurance Festival in Cambridge, Maryland a friend of mine set a new world record in the full IRONMAN distance race. Sarah Melanson of Davidsonville, Maryland (at the age of 17 years 10 months and 20 days) became the youngest ever female IRONMAN finisher. Despite a long hard road and tough windy/rainy race conditions, Sarah succeeded in finishing the race in a time of 15:30:39. In doing so she became the youngest ever female triathlete to officially complete this race distance.

If this does not inspire you then I don't know what will. Sarah is a wonderful girl and deserves to be recognized for completing a feat such as this at her age. Congratulations Sarah and keep it up!!!

Edited by fubar44 2013-09-23 2:49 PM

2013-09-23 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever!

*technically*, she is not the youngest IRONMAN finisher because that was not an IRONMAN event.  She would be the youngest iron-distance finisher.  There is a difference.

Still, congrats to her... that's a phenomenal achievement for any age!

Edited by cgregg 2013-09-23 2:40 PM
2013-09-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Extreme Veteran
2013-09-23 2:59 PM

User image

Is there a link to her story.  Anyone who can complete an IM is awesome in my books, but what truely sets some people apart are the sacrifices they make or the obstacles they overcome.  Certainly being young is an obstacle, but would love to hear about how she dealt with being a high school student while training for an IM.

A kid was training with my group a couple of years ago.  He was awesome in how diligent he was in his training.  He became the youngest type 1 diabetic to ever complete an Ironaman at IMC 2012 (still in Penticton).  I think he was less than a month past his 18th birthday.  He constantly had to test his blood sugar levels during training and racing.

http://www.midweek.com/thriving-with-type-1-diabetes/

Edited by Jason N 2013-09-23 3:17 PM
2013-09-23 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
I think that one of the reasons that she chose to do ChesapeakeMan was because it was one of the only IM distance races that would allow her to race at the age of 17 with a waiver. Even though it was not an "IRONMAN" branded race it is still EXTREMELY impressive you have to admit. She has an awesome story behind the race but I think it is one that I will let her tell. I also think that there may possibly be an article written up about it in the paper, and as soon as it is I will post and share it with everyone here.

Edited by fubar44 2013-09-23 3:08 PM
2013-09-23 3:07 PM
in reply to: fubar44

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by fubar44

I think that one of the reasons that she chose to do ChesapeakeMan was because it was one of the only IM distance races that would allow her to race at the age of 17 with a waiver. Even though it was not an "IRONMAN" branded race it is still EXTREMELY impressive you have to admit.

it is impressive, but she is still technically not the youngest female IRONMAN finisher.

2013-09-23 3:12 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
I tried to edit my original post to say say IM "distance" finisher but it wouldn't let me. I added the distance at the beginning of the original post but missed adding it on the second reference...my apologies.
2013-09-23 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Athlete hat on:
Congratulations to her for being the youngest female to complete the distance.

Coach hat on:
That was a very very bad idea for her to complete a race of that distance at her age. I am only looking at this from a long term development perspective assuming she wants to actually be competitive in the future at a high level.

Note: I also rarely let any of my coached athletes sign-up for an IM race until after their 3rd full season of doing triathlons (regardless of age). it's not that they can't physically complete the distance, that not the problem. It's about maintaining a balanced life and not suffering through the course and then having a bad taste in your mouth about the sport.
2013-09-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Marvarnett Athlete hat on: Congratulations to her for being the youngest female to complete the distance. Coach hat on: That was a very very bad idea for her to complete a race of that distance at her age. I am only looking at this from a long term development perspective assuming she wants to actually be competitive in the future at a high level. Note: I also rarely let any of my coached athletes sign-up for an IM race until after their 3rd full season of doing triathlons (regardless of age). it's not that they can't physically complete the distance, that not the problem. It's about maintaining a balanced life and not suffering through the course and then having a bad taste in your mouth about the sport.

Now you've done it. Laughing

2013-09-23 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC

I understand where Dan is coming from, however, my oldest son will start the B2B iron distance race on October 26, 2013.  He will turn 18 on December 15, 2013.  Prior to October 26, he will have completed three half iron distance races (one each the last three years) 2 olympic distance races and multiple sprints.  He has been racing since age 10.  He is most certainly not an elite speedster, but he has been training and enjoying racing.  His half times have been right around 6 hours (the one on a flat course was 5:57 or so, the hilly course 6:14 last year and 6:04 this year) I think he got the idea from a former swim club team mate that is now a second year at the Naval Academy.  She raced this her senior year in just over 13 hours.  I will say, I was not planning on tackling this distance until he and his brother were out of the house (in college).  He has drug me along and we have been each other's training partner. 

this is a link to an article that was in this past Sunday's local paper.  http://www.kinston.com/news/local/going-the-distance-1.206485

William is a different type of kid, both athletically and academically.  Again, while I understand where Dan is coming from, I think there are kids that can complete this distance provided they have been racing and training for a good while.  He has had to balance training with school work for the the past several years (both triathlon and year round swimming).  However, I don't think that is terribly different from most triathletes (we balance work, personal/family life and sometimes school).  Learning time management and balancing is a skill set that is best learned young and, in my opinion, is terribly lacking in most youth and adults in modern society. 

Fire away

2013-09-23 5:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-23 7:07 PM
in reply to: Fred D

I was there and witnessed Ms. Melanson accomplish this feat. I can tell you that she had a smile on her face right up to the finish. At that time, there were 40 mph winds and torrential rain. She did not look one bit fazed as she gathered up her gear. Not sure what kind of training she did prior but she was thanking all the volunteers and kept a steady pace.
2013-09-23 10:30 PM

Veteran
Great White North
I don't see the point of young kids racing long course events, in fact it's not even allowed in most countries, so not to take anything away from her but others may have wanted to do one but were told they can't enter. I on the other hand would think young Tamara Gorman has achieved a far bigger prize by winning a world Jr title than this "world record". I hope Sarah stays healthy and doesn't get injured doing too much too soon.
2013-09-23 11:09 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am Sarah M. I wanted to thank everyone with such nice comments, it means a lot to me to hear that. I understand that some are concerned with me being so young and racing long distance triathlons and I completely understand that. I understand the importance of proper training, nutrition and recovery as well. I am an exercise physiology major at WVU and I love doing long distance tri's. I am not looking to do anything more than enjoy the sport that is triathlon. I have been competing since I was 13 years old doing races of all distances including half ironmans. I plan on doing them for a very long time because of the sheer enjoyment I get from competing.

Thank you all!
Sarah
2013-09-23 11:21 PM

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Coach hat on:
That was a very very bad idea for her to complete a race of that distance at her age. I am only looking at this from a long term development perspective assuming she wants to actually be competitive in the future at a high level.

Yeah, I had a coach tell me I was too old to start triathlon training, I was better off with a beach cruiser and water aerobics. I fired him. My DIY is a better coach!
2013-09-24 12:16 AM
in reply to: snm_tri

Master
Salt Lake City
So not to be a total stick in the mud, but do we have any kind of verification that this is actually any kind of record?

2013-09-24 7:45 AM
in reply to: JZig

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
Let me pose this question to those questioning the legitimacy...If Sarah isn't the youngest female to officially finish an IM distance race then who is?
2013-09-24 8:07 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Note: I also rarely let any of my coached athletes sign-up for an IM race until after their 3rd full season of doing triathlons (regardless of age). it's not that they can't physically complete the distance, that not the problem. It's about maintaining a balanced life and not suffering through the course and then having a bad taste in your mouth about the sport.

How does that work?

ie; How do you 'NOT LET' someone sign up for an IM?

Do you fire them if they want to do it anyways?

Interesting....

Very...
2013-09-24 8:07 AM
in reply to: fromthesideline

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by fromthesideline I was there and witnessed Ms. Melanson accomplish this feat. I can tell you that she had a smile on her face right up to the finish. At that time, there were 40 mph winds and torrential rain. She did not look one bit fazed as she gathered up her gear. Not sure what kind of training she did prior but she was thanking all the volunteers and kept a steady pace.

not downplaying her achievement, but you are greatly exaggerating the wind conditions.

2013-09-24 8:22 AM

Master
Bronze member

Lots of cowbell & sincere" Congratulations" to you Sarah...

I wish you all the best in both your studies and your pursuit of challenges of mind & body like Iron distance tri..Know that you can accomplish whatever it is you set out to do.

2013-09-24 8:25 AM

NC

Let me pose this question to those questioning the legitimacy...If Sarah isn't the youngest female to officially finish an IM distance race then who is?

Well since you ask, some might say Hunter Lussi. Never heard of him until the Google found me this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/07/AR2...

2013-09-24 8:26 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

NC
Originally posted by Goosedog

Well since you ask, some might say Hunter Lussi. OOPS, looks like Hunter is a guy. However, if you want to talk about young:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/07/AR2...

2013-09-24 8:45 AM

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by snm_triHello Everyone,I am Sarah M. I wanted to thank everyone with such nice comments, it means a lot to me to hear that. I understand that some are concerned with me being so young and racing long distance triathlons and I completely understand that. I understand the importance of proper training, nutrition and recovery as well. I am an exercise physiology major at WVU and I love doing long distance tri's. I am not looking to do anything more than enjoy the sport that is triathlon. I have been competing since I was 13 years old doing races of all distances including half ironmans. I plan on doing them for a very long time because of the sheer enjoyment I get from competing. Thank you all!Sarah
Congratulations Sarah! It sounds like you truly love the sport. I think it's awesome that you are so passionate, and I hope you have many more years in triathlon ahead of you
2013-09-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Jason N

Anyone who can complete an IM is awesome in my books,

+1, Congrats to Sarah!
2013-09-24 9:08 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by snm_tri Hello Everyone, I am Sarah M. I wanted to thank everyone with such nice comments, it means a lot to me to hear that. I understand that some are concerned with me being so young and racing long distance triathlons and I completely understand that. I understand the importance of proper training, nutrition and recovery as well. I am an exercise physiology major at WVU and I love doing long distance tri's. I am not looking to do anything more than enjoy the sport that is triathlon. I have been competing since I was 13 years old doing races of all distances including half ironmans. I plan on doing them for a very long time because of the sheer enjoyment I get from competing. Thank you all! Sarah

Sorry for all of the "wet blankets" in this thread (come on, BT!). I think your accomplishment is awesome, as well as the head on your shoulders. Congratulations! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IRONMAN World Record-Youngest Female Ever! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Berlin Marathon: new world record

Started by BigDH
Views: 2006 Posts: 24

2011-09-27 7:50 PM gerald12

Ironman Austria - New World Record!

Started by dbrawders
Views: 3578 Posts: 22

2011-07-03 7:55 PM southwestmba

World record holder to skip Olympic marathon

Started by the bear
Views: 1646 Posts: 22

2008-03-12 7:56 AM Nelg

Blind Triathlete Aaron Scheidies Breaks World Record

Started by CitySky
Views: 957 Posts: 10

2007-10-23 7:13 AM run4yrlif

World Record Attempt -24 hour Treadmill

Started by michlmead
Views: 867 Posts: 3

2007-03-04 11:03 AM Rich01
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Tim DeBoom is a 2 time World Ironman Champion. In the following interview he answers several of our members questions.

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.