General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Red River, New Mexico
United States
Red River Chamber of Commerce
Total Time = 7h 40m
Overall Rank = 242/318
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eased out of Motel to Main St, arriving just as Ride started. Joined peleton as they went past.
Need to do a little more 'night before' setup, that was cutting it close, and couldn't find HR Chest Strap, which Amy brought later- it was in the bag she had.
Event warmup:

Warmer at start than in any previous year. Just wore Full Finger Gloves, and Orange TDF Jacket to Questa.
Then nicer than ever. Thought over and over how nice the weather was. A little cloud cover later when it was welcome, but mostly to partly Sunny and very mild temps and low wind until climbing Palo Flechado. Then more Wind in Moreno Valley but mostly at our back! Maybe the most perfect weather ever for this ride.

Bike
  • 7h 40m
  • 100 miles
  • 13.04 mile/hr
Comments:

2 mores stops than last year, and felt a LOT better than last year, in same exact time. Tons of Nutrition- 3X HW Gainer 900 + 3X CytoMax +1 Tailwind and had that mix 3 times. Plus Gels, and lots of water. Total 60mg Caffiene, 20 in Angel Fire I bought for almost $3.50 at Bike store, 40 at East Moreno Ranch Aid Station for Free, both in Gels.
What would you do differently?:

Have a 27 rear, and need a 30-32 or to go compact cranks. Don't want to ride this again without different/easier gears.
Post race
Warm down:

Good time at After-Picnic with different groups/folks sitting down in the shot time I was there. But the Raffle was over very very quickly after I arrived, which is patently unfair to those finishing later. Over 75 riders of the ~320 finished after I did, and they had TONS of giveaway bags left!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need easier gearing for more spinning/less mashing on climbs.
To the 40 or so folks stopped at the top of Bobcat Pass when I went by, I said "That's Ridiculous" and it IS!

Event comments:

There was an extra aid station, and even guys handing out drinks at roadside in Angel Fire- that's a great idea! I stopped both ways, and even used the restroom inside the strip mall there on the back out.
The last climb being 3-4 miles from finish, makes this ride 'too hard' for everyone, but it's a great ride overall.

Last updated: 2013-07-16 12:00 AM
Biking
07:40:00 | 100 miles | 13.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/318
Performance: Good
7:40 is overall time, including all stops (2 more than last year) from gun to across finish line. Kept HR in mind from after rollers on way into Taos when Amy showed up with it and the kids in the Van, which was AWESOME. Tried to stay at 142, had alarm set for 150, which went off 2-3 times up to Palo Flechado. Made a big difference having HR to keep lid ON. Also, stood a lot, more than ever, which helped in later going, especially past Eagle Nest.
Wind: Little
Course: Road surface better than ever, but some chunks missing, especially in Taos Canyon.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour

2013-09-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4862119

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour

Sounds like a great ride. I've never driven those roads but I drive them and my hat is off to you for getting it done. As for the holes in the road near Taos, the recent excessive rains have caused LOTS of falling rocks and new holes in the roads.

Congrats on getting it done. It sure is beautiful up there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour

Started by erodda
Views: 736 Posts: 1

2013-03-12 1:06 AM erodda

Enchanted Circle Century Tour

Started by jashac
Views: 1055 Posts: 1

2010-07-14 1:21 PM jashac

Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour & Expo

Started by erodda
Views: 1369 Posts: 1

2008-09-08 11:29 PM erodda

Enchanted Circle Century Ride

Started by naisqu
Views: 1013 Posts: 6

2006-10-05 7:36 AM naisqu

NYC Century Bike Tour - 100 Mile

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2006-09-02 10:29 PM JenBunn1e
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 1
Efficiency and energy conservation are key to faster cycling

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.